Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. When I try to get the voice recognition system to call a name, it does not understand me. (It does, however understand if I tell it to dial a number, i.e. "dial 8002345678"). The dealer tells me I need to convert my address book to two word names, i.e. "John Smith" instead of "John". I've never had to do that in any other car.

2. Cruise control speed varies by +- 3 or 4 MPH. Again, other cars I've had recently may be +- 1 MPH. On a recent short highway trip, I noticed at least 69-75 MPH when I had the cruise set to 73. It also surges when it drops to the lower end.

3. The button on the keyfob doesn't open the rear hatch. It does work when I actually press the button on the hatch itself, but the key fob does nothing.

Anybody else experience these or other initial quality glitches?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do u have adaptive cruise control. If so it slows down according tot he distance and speed of the vehicle in front of you when on. I have not had any trouble other than voice recognition is sketchy. All the Honda's I have had the voice recognition is poor. My 2014 Chevy silverado works perfect. Seems if GM can get ti right Honda has no excuse. That really is my only complaint so far as my 16 pilot has been great so far.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with iron banks...the voice recognition is not the greatest. Haven't tried it too many times because it's pretty frustrating at times and just too funny other times on what it thinks I'm trying to say. Only tried for navigation thus far because of the safety feature not allowing the imputing of an address while on the move. Can't wait for the jailbreak or hack on that.

For the phone problem, I would recommend memorizing your most frequently called numbers into the qk dial. I believe you can still select those on the go without having to say a word.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I agree with iron banks...the voice recognition is not the greatest. Haven't tried it too many times because it's pretty frustrating at times and just too funny other times on what it thinks I'm trying to say. Only tried for navigation thus far because of the safety feature not allowing the imputing of an address while on the move. Can't wait for the jailbreak or hack on that.

For the phone problem, I would recommend memorizing your most frequently called numbers into the qk dial. I believe you can still select those on the go without having to say a word.
Actually - the speed dial only allows the first 3 entries on the screen to be selected by touch - when in motion.

Voice recog seems no better (or worse) then Siri. Speaking clearly (and distinctly) at the mic on the roof seems to improve things somewhat.

It IS frustrating (and sometimes amusing) to see what it comes up with. For example - one of my best friends's nickname is "Breaking Bad". He's in there as first name - and it NEVER FINDS IT (added to speed dial with voice tag now).

It probably DOES "parse" the names into one word - so unless you separate first and last names in your phone book on your device you're probably going to run into issues.

My FERVENT HOPE - is that minor NON-MAP UPDATES to the system will come down via WiFi/Honda-Link (I've already gotten one). Being that this is an ANDROID-BASED SYSTEM, I suspect once there is enough "market penetration: to interest the hackers - we'll begin to see hacks that will give us a lot more use-ability.

Still haven't figured how to load apps onto the thing. There's a few weather (radar) apps that would be helpful.

OTOH - I do run and iPhone and iPad Air2 in the vehicle and everything is "hot-spotted" thru my iPhone.

Also noticed - if you "tether" your iPhone (that is - connecting the phone via an input USB, versus simply plugging it into a power port for charging) - the phone will come up as an iPod (versus Bluetooth - a lot more control and faster response) - and will tether Wifi via the USB rather than a Wifi connection from the head unit.

My speaker/amp upgrade is going in this week (or next) - SEE SIG for my planned upgrades. I will document them on the electronics thread as they go in.

Rick

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do u have adaptive cruise control. If so it slows down according tot he distance and speed of the vehicle in front of you when on. I have not had any trouble other than voice recognition is sketchy. All the Honda's I have had the voice recognition is poor. My 2014 Chevy silverado works perfect. Seems if GM can get ti right Honda has no excuse. That really is my only complaint so far as my 16 pilot has been great so far.
No, I just have an LX with basic cruise control.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my VW that has bluetooth with voice recognition, if I have first and last name set for a contact, I have to say last name first, so "Smith, John" works, but not "John Smith".

·
Registered
216 Posts
i believe the LX does not have a powered tailgate (EX-L and up only). weird, if honda gives the same key with all buttons, even for functions that don't apply

·
Registered
421 Posts
1) yup, the Honda/Acura voice recognition systems are unreliable. Was like that in my '05 MDX and also in my current '13 Pilot. I pretty much quit even trying to use the system since it so wildly misinterprets whatever I say it seems. Luckily the 2nd gen has easy buttons for most things so I don't need the voice system.

2) If not the laser cruise as others mentioned where you are close to other cars on the road, then I'd say this is a VCM phenomenon. Many of us with the 2nd gen that got the VCMuzzler to disable VCM noticed that the cruise accuracy holds much tighter when the engine runs on all 6cyl. When it runs on 3cyl when VCM is active it can't hold the speed as well.

3) are you holding the rear hatch button on the fob in for a few seconds to open it? Not sure what the 3rd gen fob is like, but on the 2nd gen I hold in the rear hatch button for a few seconds and then it opens. I can't believe they would have taken that feature away.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I would think that even without the power opening tailgate, the button on the key fob would still "pop" the hatch so that you can just grab it and open it without having to find the button on the hatch itself.

It would be very odd for Honda to use the same key fob for all trim levels if that would mean having buttons that literally do nothing on the LX and EX trims.

Did you try using the other key fob? It could be that the button on the one is simply defective.

·
Registered
337 Posts
1The button on the keyfob doesn't open the rear hatch. It does work when I actually press the button on the hatch itself, but the key fob does nothing.

Anybody else experience these or other initial quality glitches?
Check the vehicle settings on the dash maybe some messed with it and may have turn it off. Tested mines the other day. Hold hatch button and about 2 seconds it will open. To close is the same way just hold for 2 seconds. It works with car locked or unlocked. Also test the window roll down feature. If you hold the counter clockwise arrow for about 7 seconds the windows will roll down and sunroof will open.

The issues I ran into so far.

1. The dash software is clunky
2. Just over one week and there's a crease on the leather on the driver seat. (Suggestion on leather care pls?!)
3. I'm getting wind noise or wind drag, whatever it's called, around the top driverside when I'm +55mph.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I would think that even without the power opening tailgate, the button on the key fob would still "pop" the hatch so that you can just grab it and open it without having to find the button on the hatch itself.

It would be very odd for Honda to use the same key fob for all trim levels if that would mean having buttons that literally do nothing on the LX and EX trims.

Did you try using the other key fob? It could be that the button on the one is simply defective.
On my 2012 EX I remember the hatch button opening the rear glass, but that stopped working for me when I had my security/starter system installed. On the LX they might have disabled to encourage buying a higher trim.

·
Registered
148 Posts
3. The button on the keyfob doesn't open the rear hatch. It does work when I actually press the button on the hatch itself, but the key fob does nothing.
Not sure if this is similar as on my CRV. This perplexed me as well.

When I have the key fob with me, I can open the hatch with out pressing a button. Though when I pressed the fob, I couldn't figure out the function. A friend finally mentioned that if I am standing 15' away (or whatever), I can click that and someone else can open the hatch.

Again, not sure if it acts like my 2015 CRV or not. It is worth a try.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1) yup, the Honda/Acura voice recognition systems are unreliable. Was like that in my '05 MDX and also in my current '13 Pilot. I pretty much quit even trying to use the system since it so wildly misinterprets whatever I say it seems. Luckily the 2nd gen has easy buttons for most things so I don't need the voice system.

2) If not the laser cruise as others mentioned where you are close to other cars on the road, then I'd say this is a VCM phenomenon. Many of us with the 2nd gen that got the VCMuzzler to disable VCM noticed that the cruise accuracy holds much tighter when the engine runs on all 6cyl. When it runs on 3cyl when VCM is active it can't hold the speed as well.

3) are you holding the rear hatch button on the fob in for a few seconds to open it? Not sure what the 3rd gen fob is like, but on the 2nd gen I hold in the rear hatch button for a few seconds and then it opens. I can't believe they would have taken that feature away.
For #2, that makes sense. I will have to look into VCMuzzler. Does it have a big effect on fuel economy?

For #3 Yes. I would expect it to "pop" like what was mentioned above. (I know it won't open or close on the LX)

·
Registered
421 Posts
For #2, that makes sense. I will have to look into VCMuzzler. Does it have a big effect on fuel economy?

For #3 Yes. I would expect it to "pop" like what was mentioned above. (I know it won't open or close on the LX)
I don't think anyone has tried a VCMuzzler yet on a 3rd gen - I'd be hesitant to do that until somebody proves it works the same. For my 2nd gen, the mileage is about the same (actually just slightly better with the VCMuzzler). It depends on how closely your driving habits mimic the EPA test scenario if you will see much difference in MPG.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I don't think anyone has tried a VCMuzzler yet on a 3rd gen - I'd be hesitant to do that until somebody proves it works the same. For my 2nd gen, the mileage is about the same (actually just slightly better with the VCMuzzler). It depends on how closely your driving habits mimic the EPA test scenario if you will see much difference in MPG.
It's a completely different engine so I would guess that it won't work. At the very least I wouldn't be testing it on my car....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts