Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
How 'bout the GMC Envoy???

The Envoy is the same thing as the TrailBlazer - just dressed up a little more.

I really like GM's inline 6 engine. It's smooth and a nice flat torque curve.

There's only one problem - and it's a huge one. The Envoy/Trailblazer/Bravada/Ascender has been recalled nearly 10-times since it hit the road and none of the recalls have been minor.

Right after the GMT-360 platform hit the market (that's the base for all Trailblazers/Bravada's/Envoys/Ascenders) there was a huge recall for a collapsing front suspension problem. There have also been engine problems, 4WD system problems, etc.

While I think General Motors did a great job of redesigning and creating the Trailblazer/Envoy/Bravada - I think they have some real quality problems and those problems should raise serious questions to buyers looking at the vehicles. If you spend 30+ thousand dollars for a vehicle, the last thing you want it to do it spend weeks on end in the shop for "recall" work.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Trailblazer rides like a truck as it is a truck.
The Pilot rides like a car as it is built on a car chassis.
There is no comparison in the ride and handling as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No Trailblazer for me

I considered the Trailblazer before I read what Consumer Reports had to say about the steering and brakes.

Steering is mushy (I agree after analyzing the test drive) and the brakes just plain don't stop the vehicle safely (once again I agree).

Love my Pilot.

JJ

·
Registered
483 Posts
I like the looks of the Trailblazer, but it got slammed pretty good by Consumer Reports, so that vehicle was scratched right away from the small list of potential vehicles.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
From reviewing the specs, the Pilot has more interior room, and, as others have commented, a better shot at long term reliability. I like the looks of the GMC Envoy, but the headroom in my Pilot can't be beat. Besides, I don't like the coffee they have in the GM dealer service waiting areas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pilot vs Trailblazer, Envoy et al

I have tried them all!! For me, having a bad back, priority one is the comfort of the front seats. I am a high mileage driver. Let me tell you there is no comparison --the Pilot is far superior to all of the mushy seats of the GM triplets (and I have been a GM guy for 23 years and having employee discount through my late father), Murano, X5, and believe it or not MDX. I did not look at Ford or Mazda (too small!). Chrysler, due to constant quality problems was never on my short list. I will try an RX330 for the next vehicle but first impression is of claustrophobia. Now if only, we could get a factory sunroof, improved tires and a power passenger seat...Wake up Honda - if you want to play with the expensive sport utes, you need to offer all of the toys. This past winter, the heated seats and mirrors performed wonderfully!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Chevy Trailblazer

Before I bought the Sandstone Metallic Pilot, I asked my independent mechanic which I have used for 13 years; what makes has he seen the most of in his shop. His response without giving it a second was the new Chevy Trailblazer. He said the Trailblazer will continue to be the best money maker he has seen in years. Many of the Chevy Trailblazer owners have been bring their cars to him to fix the many problems the vehicle had while still under warranty. Most of the owners had gotten frustrated taking their very expensive pieces of junk into the local Chevy dealership 3-4 times trying to fix the same problem. The biggest money maker for him was been engine repairs which by his description were to many to detail in a less than a hour long discussion. He also told how GM had held up releasing the codes for his diagnostic equipment to keep owners close to home.

For Honda owners his encouraging words were they run for ever but when Honda's do break down the repairs are expensive compared to domestics. But, Mike the mechanic said he rarely see's them in his shop for anything but general maintenance. He drives several Honda vehicles himself, which he buys with high mileage and then puts on a few extra tens of thousands before reselling them. :20:

·
Registered
409 Posts
So Close...

I was at the Chevy dealer waiting on m y salesman (good cop) and his finance manager (bad cop) to do the price game with me. They were letting me cool down or heat up, I don't know what one....I was waiting drinking a coplimentry soda...when I saw a old friend on the Honda lot next door. He had sold us our last Honda (Civic) so I went to say hi!

He asked what I was doing on the Chevy lot and then showed me the Pilot.

Never went back to the Chevy lot...but they sure came down in price after I left the lot and kept calling for days...

There was no comparison with the TrailBlazer after driving the Pilot. It was like love at first sight!

Don

·
Registered
276 Posts
I thought that would be my next SUV....then I saw it at a local car show when it first came out. There were a few loose panels inside on the dash area. OK, I thought, chalk it up to being a new model.

3 years later and every Trailblazer I get into I can still pull trim pieces off of the doors, or the dash, or....$35-40K for that piece of junk? No way! :headshak:

The 2005 Equinox, however, looks promising....only if it didn't come with the crappy 3.4 V6.

3 vehicles stand the best chance of getting me out of the Pilot -- the 2005 CR-V, 2004 Pathfinder Armada, and the upcoming 2005 Nissan Pathfinder.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Pilot-1 said:

-snip-
3 vehicles stand the best chance of getting me out of the Pilot -- the 2005 CR-V, 2004 Pathfinder Armada, and the upcoming 2005 Nissan Pathfinder.
Only one vehicle that typically gets me out of my Pilot.
My Honda ST1100A!!!!!!

:7:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: So Close...

dandbtucker said:
I was at the Chevy dealer waiting on m y salesman (good cop) and his finance manager (bad cop) to do the price game with me. They were letting me cool down or heat up, I don't know what one....I was waiting drinking a coplimentry soda...when I saw a old friend on the Honda lot next door. He had sold us our last Honda (Civic) so I went to say hi!

He asked what I was doing on the Chevy lot and then showed me the Pilot.

Never went back to the Chevy lot...but they sure came down in price after I left the lot and kept calling for days...

There was no comparison with the TrailBlazer after driving the Pilot. It was like love at first sight!

Don
Funny story related to this. The Pilot replaced a 96 Blazer. When we were deciding on a new car for the wife, I suggested we go and check out the Trailblazer. Loved the Power in the Trailblazer........hated the ammenities, console. Seemed that for 32K, all I got was a big motor, and nothing else. No 3rd row standard.......etc. The wife and I then went and drove the Pilot for her, and she is loving every minute of it!

Later, Ben

:2:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here's one that went the other way...

Back in Jan when I was in the market for a Pilot, an acquaintance of mine was also looking for a SUV. He had been a long time Honda owner and was initially set on getting the Pilot. Unfortunately, he found the 3rd row leg room to be too small. (He's more than 6 ft) and felt that it would be impossible to haul his similarly tall friends for any long distance. Reluctantly, he went with the Trailblazer EXT version which afforded greater leg room in the third row. :( He has no complains so far, but I thought the interior trim just does not feel as refined as the Pilot's.

Now if only he had waited for the 2004 Pilot...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
97 Posts
not a critical design feature, but the envoy has almost no cup holders? Very very few anyway compared to other larger-passenger vehicles (like 1 or 2), so few it was noticable. The Rendezvous I looked at on the same lot had a ton. Salesguy sez, " a woman designed the rendezvous."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Get the honda ! I had a 2000 Blazer and a 2002 Trailblazer and they were both junk. Had electrical problems with both and the Trailblazer blew up with 15000 miles on it after I traded it in. I was always buying chevy because of my GM points and big rebates but never again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was not leaning towards a Trailblazer/Envoy but perhaps wanted to look at it for curiosity. But you folks sure have made it clear that they are junk. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Re: Here's one that went the other way...

yolk said:
...Reluctantly, he went with the Trailblazer EXT version which afforded greater leg room in the third row. :( He has no complains so far, but I thought the interior trim just does not feel as refined as the Pilot's.
Ooops, guess I spoke too soon. He just told me that he has a problem with his sunroof. Its stuck and wouldn't open :rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: TrailBlazer Woe....

slider71 said:
I looked at the TB too....but the interior is cheesy, and you can't by a GM in the first model year.

Think Consumer Report was even remotely off the mark?

Read this:
http://www.autoweek.com/search/search_display.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=longtermtests&content_code=00091089&Search_Type=STD&Search_ID=1487913&record=3

In the shop for :eek: 50 :eek: days! And that was with the "pull" of an auto publication to get things moving.

Yikes!
Autoweek's estimated trade-in value for a year old TB with an original sticker of $35k+ was interesting - less than $19k. Whoa baby.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts