Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone bothered by the passenger rating by the IIHS? It seems the passengers head hits off the dash hard.

Video:
2019 Honda Pilot

IIHS Website Link
2019 Honda Pilot

The Honda Pilot was redesigned for the 2016 model year, and the Honda Passport was introduced in the 2019 model year. The Passport is derived from the Pilot, but it has a slightly shorter overall length and only two rows of seats instead of three. Ratings apply to both the Pilot and Passport.

Structure
The passenger space was maintained well, with maximum intrusion of the lower interior of 11 cm at the rightmost portion of the toepan. Maximum upper interior intrusion measured 6 cm at the dashboard.

Passenger injury measures
A high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the dashboard, indicating that head injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. Injuries to the right lower leg would also be possible.

Passenger restraints and dummy kinematics
The dummy’s head barely contacted the frontal airbag before sliding off the right side, allowing the head to move far enough forward to hit the dashboard. The side curtain airbag deployed and has sufficient forward coverage to protect the head from contact with side structure and outside objects. The side torso airbag also deployed.

Driver injury measures
Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.

Driver restraints and dummy kinematics
The dummy’s movement was well controlled. The dummy’s head loaded the frontal airbag, which stayed in front of the dummy until rebound.

·
Administrator
15,585 Posts
What's amazing about IIHS is they are constantly moving the goal posts of safety. That's a good thing..

They are now moving from the front row to the second row. Third row can't be far away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's amazing about IIHS is they are constantly moving the goal posts of safety. That's a good thing..

They are now moving from the front row to the second row. Third row can't be far away.
I completely agree! More safety is better for everyone. And the IIHS just makes it more clear on who offers better safety. So why give the Pilot a top safety pick when the passengers head can clearly hit off the dash that hard? The Passenger airbag is clearly(at least in the tested model year and likely continued model years) not up to par. I was totally sold on the Honda Passport until I saw the crash videos. That could be me or my wife if we were in an accident. Seems like a basic, lets improve the passenger airbag but the IIHS likely contacted Honda and asked if they made any changes, and in Honda's defense if they did they surely would tell the IIHS to improve their score. So it makes it a tough choice when I can buy a Mazda CX9 or the Passport/Pilot and it protects the Passenger better.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
More safety is better for everyone. And the IIHS just makes it more clear on who offers better safety. So it makes it a tough choice when I can buy a Mazda CX9 or the Passport/Pilot and it protects the Passenger better.
If IIHS passenger ratings are your primary concern, wouldn't the Kia Sorento or the Subaru Ascent be a better choice?

·
Banned
70 Posts
Yikes, I agree that video is a bit concerning for a passenger- good thing I'm usually the one driving lol ! Interestingly, they still label the Pilot overall as a 2019 Top Safety Pick and give an acceptable rating (A) for the overall passenger-side. It looks like the issue is with the the "Passenger restraints and dummy kinematics" which only received a marginal rating (M).
"The dummy’s head barely contacted the frontal airbag before sliding off the right side, allowing the head to move far enough forward to hit the dashboard. The side curtain airbag deployed and has sufficient forward coverage to protect the head from contact with side structure and outside objects. The side torso airbag also deployed."

2019 Honda Pilot

·
Registered
44 Posts
One thing I wonder about these tests is how far forward the seats are? I mean I couldn’t imagine my head ever hitting the dash from where I sit and assuming the seatbelt does it’s job.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
One thing I wonder about these tests is how far forward the seats are? I mean I couldn’t imagine my head ever hitting the dash from where I sit and assuming the seatbelt does it’s job.
Seatbelts can stretch.

·
Banned
70 Posts

Agreed; and seat-belts usually lock-up when an accident is imminent. They may give a little to prevent chest injury but I cant see it being enough that your head would fly that far forward. Either way, watching that test dummy video is truly eye opening- if that was a real person that'd be a serious injury/full on concussion at the least.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts