Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone added the 115v electrical outlet for the rear of the center console or the center console to a 16 Pilot EXL (or similar) from the Touring and up models?
Is this even possible?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Plugging a small inverter into one of the accessory outlets is simple, cheap and reversible.

I mounted mine to the inside of the center console with velcro tape to avoid screw holes. It has 1x 120v and 1xUSB. I use it mainly for charging.

The only concern is making sure that the inverter you choose provides enough wattage to run whatever you're plugging into it, but not pulling more than the nominal 180 watts that the 15A fuse (I think) on the accessory line will tolerate. If you want to run a microwave or power tool, you'll need to do some new wiring.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Check the wattage rating of your laptop charger. Be aware that by inverting 12v up to 110ac, and then back down to laptop voltage, you will have a bit of power loss from conversion inefficiencies. That means the full wattage of the accessory outlet will not be available at the laptop. Probably 10 to 20% loss.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I have mine factory installed on my 15 thought you 16er's would have this as a default option ?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Got it on my 2006 EX-L w/RES. Maybe they figured for the RES you might be plugging in external sources like game consoles and the like that normally require 115v.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
While slightly less convenient you might want to consider a 12V plug in inverter if you are using it for a lap top. More specifically a pure sine wave inverter. They are a bit more expensive put provide the clean electricity needed for more sensitive devices.

This is straight from the 2020 Passport Manual:
NOTICE
Do not use the AC power outlet for electric appliances that require high initial peak wattage, such as cathode-ray tube type televisions, refrigerators, electric pumps, etc. It is not suitable for devices that process precise data, such as medical equipment, and that require an extremely stable power supply, such as microcomputer-controlled electric blankets, touch sensor lamps, etc.

The AC power outlet is designed to supply power for up to 115 volt appliances that are rated 150 watts or less.

Continued use of any electric appliance/device exceeding these ratings may result in damage to the appliance/device.

Something like this is small yet provides clean power for sensitive electronic devices. BESTEK Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 110V Pure Sine Wave Inverter 300W with 4.2A Dual Smart USB Ports Car Adapter

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Only the EX-L RES, Touring and Elite get it OEM. OP is asking about retrofitting on other trims.
I know what the op was asking i was just stating i'm surprised with the 2016 + series one would think it would be almost standard

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
While slightly less convenient you might want to consider a 12V plug in inverter if you are using it for a lap top. More specifically a pure sine wave inverter. They are a bit more expensive put provide the clean electricity needed for more sensitive devices.

This is straight from the 2020 Passport Manual:
NOTICE
Do not use the AC power outlet for electric appliances that require high initial peak wattage, such as cathode-ray tube type televisions, refrigerators, electric pumps, etc. It is not suitable for devices that process precise data, such as medical equipment, and that require an extremely stable power supply, such as microcomputer-controlled electric blankets, touch sensor lamps, etc.

The AC power outlet is designed to supply power for up to 115 volt appliances that are rated 150 watts or less.

Continued use of any electric appliance/device exceeding these ratings may result in damage to the appliance/device.

Something like this is small yet provides clean power for sensitive electronic devices. BESTEK Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 110V Pure Sine Wave Inverter 300W with 4.2A Dual Smart USB Ports Car Adapter
Taken from the Pilot manual also ....

Off roading is considered nothing more than driving on grass.. anything else is NOT suggested may void your vehicles warranty .
With that said do we really follow the manual here ?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,876 Posts
Taken from the Pilot manual also ....

Off roading is considered nothing more than driving on grass.. anything else is NOT suggested may void your vehicles warranty .
With that said do we really follow the manual here ?
No because I don't own a Pilot, I own a PASSPORT. 😁

A friend of mine a while back blew a nice $900 White Lightning flash unit using the AC outlet on his Chevy. One light photo shoot so he didn't bother to take his somewhat heavy to carry battery power unit. He figured what the heck, they are both batteries with ac outputs. Less stuff to lug along.

Sent it in for repair and ended up footing the bill for the repair. Some electronics, including laptops only like to play with clean power.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
Seems like the output is not as clean as they claim. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts