Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add Android Auto to my 2011 touring and it seems this is the most elegant way to do it while keeping most functionality. Mostly I'm impressed that the selector knob can be used on the interface.

I've found some YouTube videos that make it seem easy enough.

Is there anything I should know before this undertaking? Thanks!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Far as I can tell, it does not actually support Android Auto - only Apple CarPlay. One supposedly can get a kit to mirror Android screen via wireless HDMI, but no idea how well that works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the YouTube videos it shows both. You can clearly see the Android phone plugged in with the screen saying "Android auto" and then the nav screen displaying the interface, which is what happens when you plug it into a native system. Maybe I'm missing something?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I am not sure which video are you talking about. Maybe post an exact link? I did watch the video they got on their home page and also a few on their YouTube channel. Whenever talking about Android, they only mention mirroring. Which basically means your phone screen is replicated on car screen, and all control is still by poking at the phone screen. Sure, you can run Android Auto app on your phone and it will be mirrored, but again, all control is from phone. The "Selector knob" is exclusively for Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Something is quite fishy there. The car in the video is an Acura, to begin with.
I would ask them to explain how come this particular page, which describes the specific version of their product for your car:
Has 20 mentions of Apple CarPlay but not a single one of Android Auto. (just Android mirroring)

Now according to this:
Their Navtool version 5.0 does indeed handle Android Auto. And interestingly enough, their product page for Acura MDX 2014 explicitly states "Navtool 5.0"

But if you go and select, say, Pilot 2009-2011, it states "Navtool 4.0". Maybe they simply neglected to update their webpages? Beats me.

Any case, if you decide to give it a try, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I understand it, the wiring is the same for some/most Honda and Acura models with similar equipment.

Like the MDX and pilot are basically the same guts.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
Just a suggestion, do some research on the inter web for Navtool. There seems to be a lot of issues with the item, as well as the company. I have no personal knowledge of the Navtool, but this is not the first time Navtool has been brought up in various Honda and other vehicle forums.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't have anything against them, but the product information is often confusing/conflicting. You really have to make sure you know exactly what you are getting. I considered them as an option for my overhaul (2013 EX), but my conclusion was that the version of Navtool(4.0) compatible with my car did not offer Android Auto - and I am not a fan of jog dial interface anyway - I wanted touch screen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts