Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently had the Check Engine light come on our Pilot. I thought it might have been the gas cap not being tight so I opened it up and tighnted again. The manual says that it could take up to three trips before the light goes out. After a couple of days and we still had the Engine Light on so we took it to the dealership. The dealership put it on the computer and only was getting sporadiac problems, but they did look up a TSB to replace the Evaporater Solenoid if this condition exists. After having to wait two days to get the solenoid it seems to have taken care of the problem. I was just curious if anyone else has had a similiar issue.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Someone else had posted about the CE light in here, but turned out, it was a scheduled service reminder. So, his problem was different from yours. What exactly is Evaporater Solenoid and what's its function? Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was not the Service Engine Soon light that tells you when to change oil. The CE light is on the left side of the dash next to the Tach. I am not exactly sure what the solenoid does either that is why I asked if anyone else has had this problem.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My CE light went on a couple of months ago.

Shortly after the engine started wheezing and coughing... Oh wait... that was MY reaction when I saw my poor Pilot in that condition. :(

Seriously though, the idle became very rough. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the idler valve. It's been great ever since. See the thread below.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1880

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the CE light come on driving down the autobahn. slowed down and took it straight to the dealer here in Germany. Turned out that I had a visitor the night before who chewed through the hose that carries the automatic transmission fluid to the radiator to cool it down. The visitor was an animal called a marder... a wessel looking critter. They only come out at night and like to play in warm engine compartments. The problem is they like to mark their terroritory, so when another male marder gets up in your engine and smells the urine of another, he will destroy and wreck mass havoc on everything he can sink his sharp little teeth into...

My damages were 10 holes in the above ATF hose (not to mention ATF all over my new engine), tore off all the foam insulation on all my A/C line, chewed a hole in my (+) battery cover, devoured my entire windshield washer tubing system, tore off all the black rubber insulation on the top edges of the engine compartment and ate 4 vacumm hoses leaving only a shred of proof that a hose was ever there and in some cases none. After 3 trips back to the dealer we finally found every last hole and missing vaccuum hose. The owner said he sells 4-5 sparkplug sets a day due the destructive nature of these animals and that I was lucky the Pilot has a cover over the spark plug wires..

The Germans can't kill these animals... they are protected. They just catch them in cages and relocate them to the wild again. So, beware... if you have a PILOT in Germany, best park it in the garage or you could have a rude awakening on the way to work one morning... I spent that night cleaning out what seemed like 1,000 lbs of lumber my landlord had stored in the garage to make room for my Pilot. I don't want to go through that again.

Here's a link if you want to know more. Need to translate it using babelfish at altavista.com Copy the link and ask it to translate German to English. http://babelfish.altavista.com

http://www.auto-news.de/adac/ad00marder.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check Engine Light

If the check engine light is on for "scheduled maintenance" and you know you are going to have it done, you can turn the light off by turning on the key while holding in the mileage odometer reset button (for about ten seconds) on the instrument panel. I don't recommend this for every occurance because the light is primarily there to tell you when things go wrong... Best wishers

·
Registered
576 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light

rwickers said:
If the check engine light is on for "scheduled maintenance" and you know you are going to have it done, you can turn the light off by turning on the key while holding in the mileage odometer reset button (for about ten seconds) on the instrument panel. I don't recommend this for every occurance because the light is primarily there to tell you when things go wrong.
Interesting, I didn't know that. A side note, my CE light went on the day after I brought the Pilot home. Turns out, the gas cap wasn't tightened fully, hence the light turns on. That is all.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light

rwickers said:
If the check engine light is on for "scheduled maintenance" and you know you are going to have it done, you can turn the light off by turning on the key while holding in the mileage odometer reset button (for about ten seconds) on the instrument panel. I don't recommend this for every occurance because the light is primarily there to tell you when things go wrong... Best wishers
"Maintenance Required" and "CHECK ENGINE" are two different lights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts