Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this scissor jack adapter and thought, since I don't have a floor jack or a bottle jack, that this might make lifting each corner twice a year to change out winter tires less tedious. It's supposed to let you use your impact drill with the OEM scissor jack.

Sure, there are more professional solutions, but is there any reason you think this wouldn't work?

Scissor Jack Black Scissor Jack Use with 1/2'' 1/2 Inch Drive Or Impact Car Repair Adaptor Shop Equipment Automotive Tools | Walmart Canada

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Description
Material: Chrome Vanadium Steel(50BV30 Steel)
Exterior: Black oxide finish
Item Weight: 135 g(4.86 ounces)
Product Dimensions: 50.7*41.4*24 mm (2.0 x 1.63 x 0.95 inches)
Slot Size: 8.8 mm(0.35 inch) wide, 23.90 mm (0.94 inch) deep
Bolt Length: 4.1 cm (1.6 inches)
Bolt Dimensions: 0.97 mm
(Enough to fit most of scissor jacks, To ensure this, you can check the oval's size on your jacks)

Lift Your Jack Very Easy:

Made Of Very Solid Chrome Vanadium Steel, Easily use with your scissor jack, Suitable to most loop type or double eyelet type scissor jacks in the market. If you are worried about its compatibility, please check the oval's size on your jacks.

1/2" Drive/impact drills/ratchet or standard drive sockets

13/16" Lug wrench/tire iron or socket or easily add a half inch adapter to any drill

If you don't have a 1/2 inch hex or impact wrench, you can very easily get a standard drill bit to 1/2" adapter and use any cordless or corded drill with this tool and those difficult scissor jacks.

Packing List:
1PC * Wrench Tool

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
456 Posts
My only issue would be to make sure it fits the lug wrench you might carry. You'll bolt it on, then get a flat away from home and need to use it BUT you won't have something to remove the bolt you put in too tight to hold the adaptor.

My father-in-laws Renegade Trailhawk has a factory scissor jack with the lug end only. We got him a new 1/2" drive ratchet and I think it was 17mm socket. MUCH easier to raise the jack than using the factory lug wrench to try and raise it.

My lower profile aluminium floor jack won't raise high enough to get his wheel off the ground with out adapting something.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
That scissor jack adapter should work fine but keep the threads clean and lightly lubed. I’d rather reserve the scissor jack for on-road emergency work as these jacks are inherently less stable than floor jacks for routine maintenance.
CF4E19D9-3AC7-4852-A636-53E46F7965F2.jpeg

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I generally use ramps and chocks for under the vehicle maintenance, but for swapping tires they just don't work as well. :)

I could run out in my jammies and pull the PIlot's scissor jack to check, but it's -10 at the moment. So anybody think this wouldn't work because of the size and/or configuration of the OEM Honda scissor jack, based on the info and measurements above?

And of course I keep its threads clean and lightly lubed.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Owner's Manual illustration of the "loop" type end connection of the OEM jack...

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I could run out in my jammies and pull the PIlot's scissor jack to check, but it's -10 at the moment. So anybody think this wouldn't work because of the size and/or configuration of the OEM Honda scissor jack, based on the info and measurements above
I don’t use a scissor jack often but when using one slow and steady rotations of the handle allows for better control and final adjustments.....this coming from an ‘04 Pilot owner who has never lowered the spare tire until 2020....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I like the idea of the attachment. It would be convenient.
Of course, scissor jacks for tire changing only. Don't forget the parking brake.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course, scissor jacks for tire changing only. Don't forget the parking brake.
Point taken, and it bears repeating.

Glad the guy's OK. Takes a load off my mind. :)

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,225 Posts
Looks interesting, and I am sure there are folks who would buy it. For me it is a no go for the simple reason I do not like scissor jacks. Fortunately under the back deck there is a nice little storage compartment where a 3 ton bottle jack fits real nicely. It's my go to if I ever encounter a flat.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,269 Posts
Your life is worth more than a floor jack, a set of Jack stands, and a set of wheel chocks. Don’t be frugal and get the right equipment for the job.
On the road, if I have to make the decision of calling AAA and waiting an hour for the tow truck to show up or attempt to use the scissor jack to change the spare I’ll wait the hour. That scissor jack is way too unstable for my comfort level, as is the bottle jack in my Tacoma.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I'll vote "yes, it's OK" with a caveat: only with a variable-speed drill. Start slow, then wind up. I wouldn't trust the adapter or the jack to hold up to high-torque starts.
My first thought is similar to this, everyone wants to use their impact driver for everything and I think it is not suitable for this application, the hammering can work harden and make things brittle or just break things.

Your life is worth more than a floor jack, a set of Jack stands, and a set of wheel chocks. Don’t be frugal and get the right equipment for the job.
On the road, if I have to make the decision of calling AAA and waiting an hour for the tow truck to show up or attempt to use the scissor jack to change the spare I’ll wait the hour. That scissor jack is way too unstable for my comfort level, as is the bottle jack in my Tacoma.
I tend to agree with this. IMO scissor jacks are emergency use only, a regular floor jack is the only way I feel safe lifting my vehicles.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
The clunky crank mechanism used to expand a scissor jack can cause it to lift at an angle, increasing the potential for a fall. I think this device used with an impact, would free a hand up to hold the scissor jack in place as it raises.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,223 Posts
Unless you have no where to keep it, get the cheaper floor jacks on sale at Harbor freight, I did. I bought the slightly more expensive one, Way better reviews.

Or, use that little gadget- sure.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
The scissor jack is what it is. For use in the event of a flat. If it's one of those instances where you go out to the parking lot to find a flat, I'd prefer using a portable 12vt compressor. Easily stored in the rear compartment. A blow out on the highway will require the scissor jack. It be nice to have a small floor jack with you, but I fear it getting loose in a rollover or accident, becoming a deadly projectile.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
At this price point (110-199) I’m not a fan of the trolley jacks and prefer the HF and the better version of the moto master. The HF got them beat with low-profile, rapid pump, big saddle and wider stable base. The “freebie” jack stands are just okay not great. A good floor jack will perform better and longer. Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts