Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been in here in a while and thought I'd check if anyone DIY tranny fluid change on their 9speed with the drain, measure, fill the same amount procedure. Seems simple enough for the average DYI guy.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Check this out...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check this out...

Jusy saw that after I posted this, thanks. Seems like no one actually has done the procedure or none has come forward lol.
Im at almost 30k miles and mostly city driven but my tranny still shifts the way it did the day I rolled out of the dealership.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Jusy saw that after I posted this, thanks. Seems like no one actually has done the procedure or none has come forward lol.
Im at almost 30k miles and mostly city driven but my tranny still shifts the way it did the day I rolled out of the dealership.
It seems pretty straightforward but maybe a pain in the ass to do all of the steps with the vehicle on jackstands.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems pretty straightforward but maybe a pain in the ass to do all of the steps with the vehicle on jackstands.
If you're talking about reading the tranny fluid with a scan while the engine is running procedure, I agree. I do my oil changes without the need for jackstands on both my '17 Pilot and '19 Ridgeline. So they're not a necessity for me. I just have to do it on level ground to get most of the fluid out. I'll do the drain, measure what came out, and fill the same amount before fall of this year. That should bring me to 40k miles.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
If you're talking about reading the tranny fluid with a scan while the engine is running procedure, I agree. I do my oil changes without the need for jackstands on both my '17 Pilot and '19 Ridgeline. So they're not a necessity for me. I just have to do it on level ground to get most of the fluid out. I'll do the drain, measure what came out, and fill the same amount before fall of this year. That should bring me to 40k miles.
I'm talking about the very specific and time sensitive sequence they are stating for checking the fluid level and draining off excess fluid.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Read posts 13,14, and 17 especially in the following link I've posted below. This is how I plan on doing my 9 speed transmission fluid change also. There are other posts and also a video showing how to do it this way on You-tube. My transmission shifts fine so I am not worried that it may be under filled or over filled from the factory. I will replace exactly the amount I remove. He even said the Honda dealer does it this way and not the way Honda says to do it. YMMV!

If I was experiencing any shifting problems I would have a dealer do the change and make sure they follow the Honda procedure to obtain the correct level. No need for that in my opinion since my transmission is operating as it should be.

9 Speed DIY Fluid Exchange

Reactions: cintocrunch
1 - 7 of 7 Posts