Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Pilot EX AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2018 AWD and it’s done pretty well so far. The Pilot was not designed for performance but engine tech has come a long way in the past 20 years so it’s still decently swift. Except I find I have virtually no torque when the transmission downshifts to accelerate around the 60-80 mph area. Really annoying and dangerous for passing on country roads. Anyone got any upgrades done for performance? I know we technically have V-tech and you can somewhat feel it from a standstill once the engine hits 5k but it’s really not enough. From what I can tell the only real big difference I could get would be going to a local shop and dumping money for a supercharger. Not even considering a turbo due to reliability.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
The Pilot is one of the fastest "regular" 2 row crossovers. If it isn't fast enough for you and with the lack of performance/tuner support, my recommendation is to move to an Explorer Sport (or ST for the new ones), a Durango R/T or SRT or step up to the luxury brands that generally offer higher performance engines.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The Pilot is one of the fastest "regular" 2 row crossovers. If it isn't fast enough for you and with the lack of performance/tuner support, my recommendation is to move to an Explorer Sport (or ST for the new ones), a Durango R/T or SRT or step up to the luxury brands that generally offer higher performance engines.
My vote is for the Durango Hellcat… because… why not? Otherwise I really don’t know what could be easily done to improve it. There really isn’t anyone doing performance tuning or anything for these…

·
Registered
587 Posts
Friend of mine has one, and a srt8 jeep with a built motor, both very quick. I went a different route, awd sierra Denali with a forged 6.2 and 3.3l whipple at 19psi. :cool:
Freaking awesome!

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Cayenne turbo would be my pick. :)
For a track yes, but I find the muscle car formula more fun for real life driving. More comfortable on the bumpy/crappy roads but glorious when I can open it up.

Yeah that’s the responsible choice. You watch the drive part of the video above though? That srt just looks stupid fun… but that’s the 14 year old in me talking.
For me it's the sound. I love how Dodge has embraced the sound and knows that's what people want. Not much beats a high compression pushrod V8 IMO.

Friend of mine has one, and a srt8 jeep with a built motor, both very quick. I went a different route, awd sierra Denali with a forged 6.2 and 3.3l whipple at 19psi. :cool:
What year Denali? My dad has a '11 YXLD that I would love to do some work on. It already has around 400 hp but a nice cam, headers, exhaust and a tune would make it sound amazing and really surprise quite a few people. Not quite (OK, not even close) the level you are at but a damn fun and nice sounding vehicle.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
557 Posts
Mine is an 18, pulled the motor out at 1500 miles and killed the warranty within the first month 😆. Life is short, no sense in waiting as that was the intended use of the truck when purchased.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Mine is an 18, pulled the motor out at 1500 miles and killed the warranty within the first month 😆. Life is short, no sense in waiting as that was the intended use of the truck when purchased.
Nice! I'm very jealous. You are definitely correct, but some people had kids right away instead of enjoying spending money for a short period, so I'm in the "responsible parent" spending mode. I have warned my wife though, when she graduates from PA school and/or when the kids are gone I will be spending some money and diving into my hobby.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Never had kids, I'm my wife's only child.:ROFLMAO:. I build toys, get bored, sell and build a new one. I lowered the truck 2", added a rear sway bar, tint, stereo upgrades. After tuning gets 18mpg in town and averages 25mpg on the highway, as long as you control your foot. So I'm happy, nice reliable comfortable driver.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Absolutely deleted, also tuned it out while the salesman was delivering it and going over stuff. :cool:, but it's all gone now.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
did you do the dod(afm) delete kit while it was pulled?
Buys new truck, pulls engine out, completely builds it with supercharger, leaves AFM in... something doesn't fit there haha. I would lose a lot of respect for him if that were the case but I know it can't be true.

Absolutely deleted, also tuned it out while the salesman was delivering it and going over stuff. :cool:, but it's all gone now.
And as I typed you responded. Smart move. My dad's Yukon has had it active this whole time (10 years and 70k miles) even though I keep encouraging him to at least have the disabler device installed. I can tell you are like me when it comes to salesman "Look, I know more about this vehicle than you will ever know about any vehicle. Don't talk, just process paperwork and get me out of here ASAP."

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
My vote is for the Durango Hellcat… because… why not? Otherwise I really don’t know what could be easily done to improve it.
Being able to buy it and get it serviced at someplace more upscale than the local Dodge dealer would be an improvement.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Being able to buy it and get it serviced at someplace more upscale than the local Dodge dealer would be an improvement.
What's wrong with Dodge dealers? Both of the local ones I've taken my mom and sister's Wranglers to have been good to deal with and have professional appearing setups.

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
What's wrong with Dodge dealers? Both of the local ones I've taken my mom and sister's Wranglers to have been good to deal with and have professional appearing setups.
If you're spending close to $100K on a Durango SRT Hellcat, do you really want to be rubbing elbows with the buyers of and salespersons for $30K Grand Caravans?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
If you're spending close to $100K on a Durango SRT Hellcat, do you really want to be rubbing elbows with the buyers of and salespersons for $30K Grand Caravans?
Uh.... one car doesn't make the brand. Those dealers also service the $70k Ram 1500s, $90k Ram HDs, all of the R/T, SRT, Hellcats in the portfolio, plenty of $50k+ jeeps. Yea, no problem there for me.

Now if it was a Mazda dealer servicing my Durango SRT Hellcat I'd have issues, but the CDJR dealers deal with plenty of V8s and plenty of Hellcats so I feel they are best equipped.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts