Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Any tips on installing the VCM Tuner II?

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Karl2020 
#1 ·
Just ordered the VCM Tuner II device. Waiting for it to arrive.

Anybody have any tips on how to install in a 2020 Pilot? I had one for my 2005 Odyssey and it was pretty easy to install.

Tips and suggestions to make this easy?

#3 ·
Of course. Do I need to remove the air intake? How about the engine cover? I also read something about if you have auto start/auto lock you need to keep the keyfob in the house or at least away from the car?

#4 ·
Unless there's something specific to that particular model... I believe the only concern is that the engine be cold when you install it. I just installed an S-VCM and I didn't have to remove anything or make any other concessions other than installing it on a cold engine and following the procedure given in the instructions i.e. connect to battery last.

#5 ·
Ideally you want to keep the fob away from the vehicle so that the ECU doesn't wake up while you're in the middle of installing it. It's not the end of the world if it does, it just means you'll have a CEL on startup that you'll have to clear or wait for it to go out.

Other than that it shouldn't be all that different from installation on your Odyssey. I installed one on my Accord and it took me all of 2 minutes to do. The instruction manual has an image of a mounting location on this generation of Pilot, so have a look if you need it.

#6 ·
Just got my VCM Tuner 2 yesterday. Question: Does the air intake need to be removed? Just trying to avoid having to do too much due to it being cold outside. Also, where does everybody mount the controller? One thread I saw had it on the side of the battery facing the engine with wires going over the battery (I want to avoid this if I can)

#10 ·
HELLO, Can you reply with your experience with ordering the vcm tuner ii...I assume you ordered from vcmtuner.com. I have signed onto the email list twice last week and also emailed Friday 1/20/23 asking when the units will be available. No response yet 5 days. ALSO there is no business info or address on the web site? I usually don't deal with such sites.

#13 ·
What you need to do is is get to that website at 9am PST on Monday (Noon EST), and the ordering process will open up. That is what I did. Shipping comes from California so it could take a few days.
OK am I the only one who sees the vcmtuner website, and the ordering procedure as bizarre? I signed up to the mailing list and got no response?......Customers are expected to be free at one certain designated time to place their order and hope to be put on a waiting list? ....Why not just have an order form / shopping cart / checkout / order status like every web business. Also as stated previously, no one questions a web site with no info about the company, no address, no phone number/customer service? A stated one year warranty with no explanation of acceptable items, or of the return process? Hmmm.

#14 ·
OK am I the only one who sees the vcmtuner website, and the ordering procedure as bizarre? I signed up to the mailing list and got no response?......Customers are expected to be free at one certain designated time to place their order and hope to be put on a waiting list? ....Why not just have an order form / shopping cart / checkout / order status like every web business. Also as stated previously, no one questions a web site with no info about the company, no address, no phone number/customer service? A stated one year warranty with no explanation of acceptable items, or of the return process? Hmmm.
My guess is supply chain issues. Doesn't want to keep his customers waiting. I'm sure he makes a certain number of devices (it's a one man operation I think) a week.

#7 ·
Go to post# 8.

#8 ·
Install is done. I took my time doing this so.

Took off the intake cover so I could access the battery. This was done after popping the hood. Came back inside to look at pictures of where the ECT1 connector is. On my Pilot, its behind some wires. Tried to get it off without removing the engine cover but it was a pain. Removed the engine cover and the removal/install was pretty easy.

Mounted the VCM Tuner II to the engine side of the battery. Ran the 12volt up from the side where the positive terminal is. There was enough room It'll go over the battery post.

Plugged everything back up. Lost a screw and fastener for the intake cover (but fortunately found them). Anybody have a good source to get some of these?

Started engine and no check engine light!

#9 ·
Install is done. I took my time doing this so.

Took off the intake cover so I could access the battery. This was done after popping the hood. Came back inside to look at pictures of where the ECT1 connector is. On my Pilot, its behind some wires. Tried to get it off without removing the engine cover but it was a pain. Removed the engine cover and the removal/install was pretty easy.

Mounted the VCM Tuner II to the engine side of the battery. Ran the 12volt up from the side where the positive terminal is. There was enough room It'll go over the battery post.

Plugged everything back up. Lost a screw and fastener for the intake cover (but fortunately found them). Anybody have a good source to get some of these?

Started engine and no check engine light!
Good work. The setup on my Accord is quite different due to it being part of the early VCM-2 generation of vehicles but it ended up looking something like this when I did it:
Cable Electrical wiring Audio equipment Wire Automotive tire

My positive battery wire does bend at a tight angle like that due to the setup of the battery terminal, but I haven't had any issues because of this in the 6 months I've had the unit, and unlike the S-VCM, the VCMTuner II is made with some high quality components, so I don't anticipate this causing an issue. In my case I was able to easily mount it to the top of the rear battery J bolt with the unit facing the engine, as shown in Brock's installation video.

#11 ·
You order it, you get on their waiting list. When it is finally built and shipped they email you with the tracking. The problem is supply chain delays for parts. The delay is worth the wait. I have two of them and they work great.

Here is their latest info on site:

Update: 1/23/2023. Ordering opens at 9am PST. These orders will be shipped the week of 1/23/2023 through 1/28/2023. Next date for product ordering is scheduled for 1/30/2023 at 9am PST based on incoming product. Please do not e-mail us regarding updates to inventory, updates will be posted here and on the contact page as our best estimates as we wait on more product to be delivered and finished by our PCB manufacturers and internal assemblers.
Note: You will receive a tracking number upon shipment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.