Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any been spotted in transit yet?

I'm driving to Birmingham this afternoon, and I'm hoping to spot one on a truck. I'll be on I-20 which goes past the plant where they build them.

I figure if they are launcing on the 18th, they are probably shipping by now.

If I spot some, I'll try to get a pic.

·
Super Moderator
15,184 Posts
I've been having the same thought....if they are anywhere, they are in the "back lots" that many dealers have.
Guess we can say this... :needpics: :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
We were on our way home from Minneapolis today and happen to look over and saw a transporter full of them today heading north on I-94 towards the Twin Cities. Actually thought they were MDX's at first, but they were the new Pilots for sure. Several black ones. Not for certain, but someone in the upper Midwest is getting some delivered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up stuck at work and didn't head to Birmingham, I was hoping to spy some. Oh well, it won't be long till they are at the dealers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So looks like the Pilot's made it to the dealers this past weekend, at least the "large volume" dealers. We drove an EX last evening and really liked it. Our dealer is expecting an Elite next week and has offered it to us, but we do not wanna pick up a black one, so we are gonna pass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got a call from a local dealer who I had emailed about the Pilot. Although I'm looking for an Elite, he said they just got in an EX-L that I could drive. I really just want to look at the interior colors... I had wanted white/gray but that won't be an option. So I will have to choose between white/beige or silver/gray.

I'm heading down there in a few minutes. The EX-L has the gray interior that I can check out, and they also have a white/beige (not sure of trim) which is pre-sold but at least I can see if I like that combo.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just got a call from a local dealer who I had emailed about the Pilot. Although I'm looking for an Elite, he said they just got in an EX-L that I could drive. I really just want to look at the interior colors... I had wanted white/gray but that won't be an option. So I will have to choose between white/beige or silver/gray.

I'm heading down there in a few minutes. The EX-L has the gray interior that I can check out, and they also have a white/beige (not sure of trim) which is pre-sold but at least I can see if I like that combo.
Please take pictures so we can have an idea of the actual exterior/interior colors. Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts

And please note how the materials look/feel, what is padded vs hard plastic, etc.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all... just got back from the dealer. I was the first person to drive the Pilot, and when we got back, there was another person waiting for a test drive. I took some pictures but it will take a bit to get them uploaded from my phone. My impressions:

Interior: The gray looks much like the photos on the Honda site. The dash/trim is what I would call charcoal with lighter dove-gray seats and door panels. Very nice and would definitely be my personal choice.

They were still processing the white EX-L but he let me go into the service bay to look at the inside. Its dash/steering wheel/trim color was more of a darker mushroom brown shade with the seats being the lighter beige color. Sorry that's not real descriptive but it's hard to describe gray and brown. Hopefully the pics will be clearer, but we were in bright sunlight for the gray model.

I drove it for about 15 minutes on the highway. It was quiet and seemed to handle well. The new Android system was responsive, but this one did not have the Nav installed so I didn't get to test it. The glass overlay did have a bit of glare on it because it didn't have a matte finish, and the left side soft keys were responsive to touch.

I liked it, but I was disappointed that I didn't "love" it. This particular trim did not feel as premium as I expected (and I know it is the mid-level trim), and it seemed to have more 'semi-hard' plastic than I thought. It is still a very nice and comfortable SUV. Seats felt good and the leather was nice.

While I was in the Pilot with the salesman, I got a call from the other dealership but let it go to voicemail. Just spoke to him and they got 3 in today. I'm going down there tomorrow to see how the Touring compares.

However, since I'm still "car shopping", I decided to check out other options before I spend almost $50K. So, I stopped by the Toyota dealership to ask when their 2016's would be arriving. They didn't know yet (or aren't saying), but I did look at and reluctantly agreed to drive a 2015 Highlander Platinum. I told them I had just come from a 2016 Pilot test drive and thought that would be my next purchase.

I have to say, unless the Touring is really impressive, I'm going to get a Highlander Platinum. I was really caught off guard by how much I liked it. It just seemed to be a better fit and feel for me. When I got out of it back at the dealership, I did feel like I loved driving it.

Probably not what all of you wanted to hear. I was totally convinced that I would go for the Elite. Tomorrow will be the deciding factor looking at the Touring as a preview of the Elite. A big plus for the Highlander, I can get it in White with Ash Gray interior, all other things being pretty equal.

Will try to upload those pics in the next couple of hours.
~Catherine

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
However, since I'm still "car shopping", I decided to check out other options before I spend almost $50K.

I have to say, unless the Touring is really impressive, I'm going to get a Highlander Platinum. I was really caught off guard by how much I liked it. It just seemed to be a better fit and feel for me. When I got out of it back at the dealership, I did feel like I loved driving it.

I was totally convinced that I would go for the Elite. Tomorrow will be the deciding factor looking at the Touring as a preview of the Elite. A big plus for the Highlander, I can get it in White with Ash Gray interior, all other things being pretty equal.
If you're looking at the top trim levels of the Pilot or Highlander, have you considered the Acura MDX (or - if you don't need the third row of seats - the Lexus RX)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you're looking at the top trim levels of the Pilot or Highlander, have you considered the Acura MDX (or - if you don't need the third row of seats - the Lexus RX)?
I am a serious researcher. I have watched countless YouTube car reviews, read online reviews and spec sheets, visited forums, etc. for the past month.

I did seriously consider the 2016 MDX, but reviews of their infotainment by both car reviewers and owners on their forum were a bit mixed, if not negative. That system is nearing 3 years old and becoming outdated. The brand new Android/Garmin system is what first steered me to the Pilot, plus a top end trim level.

And I considered the Lexus for a few seconds until I looked at their redesigned front grill. Do not like how that looks at all.

My current SUV is a 2002 Highlander Limited (purchased new) which may be why it had that familiar feel to it, even though the two are worlds apart style-wise and technically. I had thought I wasn't going to go back to a Toyota, but nothing replaces a butt-in-the-seat review. The Toyota computer interface is also well reviewed, and I can see why after using it for a brief time.

So, jury is still out, so tomorrow will be interesting. (I do tend to hold on to things for a long time... I still have my 1984 RX7!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got a call from a third dealer that they got a Touring and an Elite (Dark Gray) in today. Will try to get by there to check out the Elite tomorrow.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My wife's uncle has a 2015 Highlander, and while I like it, I take pause in that it does not have certain things that the 2016 Pilot has, like an updated direct-injection engine and the safety features available on the 2016 Pilot, like the CMBS. The new 2016 Lexus RX will have a new 3.5L V6 with direct-injection, but it hasn't been announced whether the Highlander will get a detuned version of the engine. If I had to buy right now, no question that the 2016 Pilot trumps the 2015 Highlander in terms of features. Now, if I can wait, I'll see what the 2016 Highlander has in store, but I won't take a 2015 Highlander over a 2016 Pilot, if pricing was similar.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anyone get pics of the black interior yet? That's the color in most interested in because the grey is too light colored for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife's uncle has a 2015 Highlander, and while I like it, I take pause in that it does not have certain things that the 2016 Pilot has, like an updated direct-injection engine and the safety features available on the 2016 Pilot, like the CMBS. The new 2016 Lexus RX will have a new 3.5L V6 with direct-injection, but it hasn't been announced whether the Highlander will get a detuned version of the engine. If I had to buy right now, no question that the 2016 Pilot trumps the 2015 Highlander in terms of features. Now, if I can wait, I'll see what the 2016 Highlander has in store, but I won't take a 2015 Highlander over a 2016 Pilot, if pricing was similar.
Thanks for the feedback. I hope no one thinks I'm bashing the Pilot because that is not my intention at all. It is a great vehicle.

I will sit down and do a thorough side-by-side comparison as to what is most-suited to my needs. I haven't really looked as closely at the Highlander specs because my mind was laser-focused on the Pilot. I'm not in a big hurry so back to the drawing board for a bit.

Edited to add: About the CMBS, the Highlander Limited has that but it is called PCS (Pre-Collision System).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Aside from the extra features, are the upper trims (Touring, Elite) going to have any differences in interiors? i.e. different materials?

Im thinking not, so what we are looking at is the "real" interior for all of them.

Its hard to tell from some of the pics but Im guessing most of the beige panels are the hard plastic? And the black stuffs are soft-touch.

·
Registered
644 Posts
That interior looks very nice. Thanks for the pictures. Did you get any pictures of the outside? Curious what your impression will be or the Elite 9 speed transmission. The Highlander is hard to beat. Are they making any changes for 16 on those?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some of you may have already watched this, but it is a good view and review of the Elite interior and exterior. This model has the gray interior. After seeing the EX-L today, I think the trims do have pretty much the same dash and interior materials based on this video. The reviewer really likes the Pilot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUo4xrPtObw

1 - 20 of 29 Posts