Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone added any Honda brand accessories, which they now feel was a complete waste of money: For example,

I wish I had waited on the factory crossbars, and purchased aftermarket instead. It would have been less expensive and carried my cargo box and bikes much easier.

I have no regrets on the running boards or fog lights .

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I am bitterly disappointed in the wind deflector. It makes a high pitched wind noise anytime I go over 40KM/H (25MPH?). But moreover, it's the dealer which installed it I'm furious with.

Everyone in here must be sick of hearing my sorry story by now, so, I'll spare you the details, but I'm convinced that it's not the Honda OEM deflector that's causing this problem, but, rather, it's a result of an improper or incompetent installation.

If you're thinking of getting one, stick with an after market product from Form Fit or Perfect Fit.

·
Registered
316 Posts
RipRocK said:
...but I'm convinced that it's not the Honda OEM deflector that's causing this problem, but, rather, it's a result of an improper or incompetent installation.
Nope, It's the deflector. No matter how you install it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Deflector noise

I guess I must be lucky, but my dealer installed deflector does not make the high pitched noise described here and by by others on this site. The gasket on the bottom is installed so it is directly contacting the hood area. I do notice minor deflection when approaching 70 MPH, but even that is not significant. I've only had mine for two weeks, so is it possible that Honda made a mid-course correction and changed the design somehow???:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think it is the deflector too...

my dealer refused to install one because of all of the problems they had. The Service Manager said Honda is working on a redesign.:confused:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I hate my Cargo cover, it is to chincy (if I spelt it right). I am probably going to sell. It is only one week old and I do not like so if anyone reads this before I put it up in the calssifieds and wants it I will sell it for a good price (but not a rip off to me).

Otherwise my fogs,my full nose mask, my day night mirror, my side steps, and crossbars are all great and I can't wait to get the hand paint pin stripe done on monday!!!!
later,
Pat

[email protected]

·
Registered
47 Posts
The cargo cover Sucks! Rattles a lot.

Air Deflector Sucks! Poor fitting and pick up wind noise at 35 mph! And that not to mention the gasket contact/rubbing the hood.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Spartanman said:
Just curious if anyone added any Honda brand accessories, which they now feel was a complete waste of money: For example,

I wish I had waited on the factory crossbars, and purchased aftermarket instead. It would have been less expensive and carried my cargo box and bikes much easier.

I have no regrets on the running boards or fog lights .
Don't feel bad about the crossbars. I have the Thule bars that fit over the rails and it generates way too much wind noise. I took them off on a six hour road trip. They now sit in the back of the Pilot. I'm not really sure what to do.

·
Registered
316 Posts
agw1 said:
The cargo cover Sucks! Rattles a lot.

Air Deflector Sucks! Poor fitting and pick up wind noise at 35 mph! And that not to mention the gasket contact/rubbing the hood.
Hey agw1,

Always nice to see someone on this board from SF w/ a Pilot. Had a question for you. So the gasket / rubber is touching the hood and you/re still getting wind noise?

Try taping up any gaps underneath the hood between the hood itself and the air deflector. (people have used electrical tape / duct tape) That should get rid of the wind noise.

As for the cargo cover, slip a piece of paper in between the end brackets and where the middle metal cover touch each other so that it's nice and tight. Some of these cargo covers may have gotten rattled in shipping which resulted in loosening the middle metal cover. Hope this helps. Pilot on.

·
Registered
664 Posts
But wait!

I have the Honda deflector and actually like it. I had the slight whistle but was able to tighten it up and cure the whistling. I like it better than some of the aftermarket ones because you can actually clean under it. Many aftermarkets are only an inch high. I also added the curve of the hood to the middle of the deflector by increasing the pitch of the brackets. I believe there should be at least a small gap (I have one) behind the gasket so the water can drain off the hood. I think it should be in the corners where it breaks back.

For more information check out the hondasuv site, I posted pictures on it there.

I like the look of the crossbars but question their affect on gas mileage. I haven't used them yet and probably won't for a while. I mainly got them for looks and to get something free since I had to pay retail.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
2k3_nbp said:

Nope, It's the deflector. No matter how you install it.
But there are few who haven't had any wind noise problems or otherwise with the deflector as well. For eg., smitman, he reports as having no issues with his deflector.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After Market Deflector

Check out this site http://www.autoseattle.com/focus.htm
I'm wondering if anybody has tried this air deflector by Focus Auto Design - Benevento.
My pilot arrives tomorrow and the dealer said the air deflectors are on back order. Maybe for good reason from what I'm reading. We live in Colorado with the snow and sand on the roads, some hood protection is essential.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Waste of money

I have regrets for installing accessories at the time of delivery. I have a feeling dealer charged me with $1000 extra. I have been living with such a pain no one can understand. Just waste of money.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Get over it and move on

When you buy accessories at the dealer, just consider the whole package as the vehicle you bought.
You paid a price that must have been acceptable for the whole package. Why bother killing time worrying about what might have been.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey 2k3_nbp,
Can you send me some details about what you did to stop the rattling of the Cargo Cover? Maybe you can post some pictures.
Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Picture of Cargo Cover rattle fix

rentua said:
Hey 2k3_nbp,
Can you send me some details about what you did to stop the rattling of the Cargo Cover? Maybe you can post some pictures.
Thanks.
OK here's a picture of what I did to stop the rattling. I folded a piece of paper and inserted it on the top part of the cargo cover for the sake of the picture. I usually put it on the back or the bottom to keep the paper insert out of sight. The picture should explain it clearly. Hope it helps. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Now thats my kinda' fix! Rattles usually annoy me and I do quite a bit of wedging things in to stop the noise. One of the most versatile rattle stopping tools is 3M double sided tape. It's basically a thin piece of foam with adhesive on both sides. Depending on the situation, I pull the paper off of both sides or just one side if the part needs to move freely (like the example shown above).

Chris

·
Registered
664 Posts
2k3_nbp I did the same thing but ran into the issue of having to move it. Everytime you pull it in to move it, it knocks the shim out. I noticed Honda actually has a strip inside the cover already. I am going to have them put a new one of those on first before I put on the loop side of a velcro setup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts