Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I was just recommended to this site from a fellow who just purchased a Pilot, EXL, Sandstone, from me.

I have noticed some questions that seem to be recurring, i.e...when does the dealer know the VIN, etc.

I will be more than happy to answer any questions that you might have about Honda or dealers.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Thanks Jerry and welcome to the group!
I'm sure you'll get LOTS of questions... you may be sorry. ;)
We do have a couple of other dealers or salespeople on the board. Always helpful to get that inside scoop! :29:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Do you mind metioning which dealership?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jerry:

I have become frustrated with my local dealer here in Florida. I ordered my Pilot back in August, with a promised delivery date of October 15-30. "No earlier than the 15th, and no later than the 30". Well, as you might guess, here it is November 13, and still no car. The build date was supposedly September 29th, and I have a VIN, now, with a promised delivery of tomorrow.

I am getting the distinct impression that the dealer is feeding me a line of bull whenever he feels like it, keeping me on the string by continuing to promise delivery "soon". I can understand waiting for a vehicle, I just don't like the stories and continuous song and dance rather than the truth. I have asked repeatedly when the car will arrive, since I would rather buy in my home town, but I am getting really tired of the lies. Every time I am ready to shop around the region I get another story.

Why can't dealers adequately track vehicles, and why does it take over two weeks to ship a vehicle to the dealer? Is there some reason that Honda cannot tell a dealer when a vehicle will arrive? Or is that a story, too?

Tks,

EC

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eddie Joe said:
Jerry:

I have become frustrated with my local dealer here in Florida. I ordered my Pilot back in August, with a promised delivery date of October 15-30. "No earlier than the 15th, and no later than the 30". Well, as you might guess, here it is November 13, and still no car. The build date was supposedly September 29th, and I have a VIN, now, with a promised delivery of tomorrow.
OK, lets start here. Your dealer knows when your car is being built. They receive a report every day. Actually they receive 3 reports, #1 on "instock vehicles" This shows the cars that have not been RDR'd (entered into the Honda computer system as being sold or "dealer exchanged"

#2 is the "on Order report" this gives ALL of the cars that Honda has allocated for that particular dealership. This takes place AFTER that dealer has placed their order and takes approximately 2 weeks after the allocation has been placed...I hope this isn't too confusing...

#3 This is the "In Transit" report. These are the cars that have been built and that are shipped...awaiting shipment...on a boat...or a train AND where they actually are in the process.

I am getting the distinct impression that the dealer is feeding me a line of bull whenever he feels like it, keeping me on the string by continuing to promise delivery "soon". I can understand waiting for a vehicle, I just don't like the stories and continuous song and dance rather than the truth. I have asked repeatedly when the car will arrive, since I would rather buy in my home town, but I am getting really tired of the lies. Every time I am ready to shop around the region I get another story.

Why can't dealers adequately track vehicles, and why does it take over two weeks to ship a vehicle to the dealer? Is there some reason that Honda cannot tell a dealer when a vehicle will arrive? Or is that a story, too?

Tks,

EC

I cannot speak for your particular dealer. I know that we know EXACTLY where EACH and EVERY car is that is allocated, built, shipped and in stock. We have over 200 vehicles in stock, lets see that amounts to about $4 Mil in inventory...that means you better have a grip on your inventory!

Now, as far as not knowing when your car is going to arrive, there could very well be some local factors, such as transportation issues...I'm just speculating at this point. I can only say that I figure 10 days from the "ship date" to the time when the car is at my dealership.

Now, NOBODY deserves the run around...especially when you spending 30+K on a car.

I was going to ask wether you had the VIN, but you already said that. I hope all goes well with you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Jerry, the wife and I are in the market for a plain Sandstone EX. We live in metro DC. What is your dealership selling them for in Baltimore? The best we've seen is $500 under MSRP (with processing fees, mud guards, wheel locks, and pin striping included) for ordered units, $1,000 off if you buy one from stock at the end of the month. Any chance you can beat that? If so, we'll come and see you. Cheers, and welcome to the forum from a newbie myself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank for the reply

If I have one that is on the lot, I can work with price on that one. If it's an order, that is usually MSRP, with no equipment added...and NO games.

I keep my clients updated with a twice monthly listing of inventory and cars that are available. I do a TON with DC people and Northern Va folk. What are you looking for?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jerry,
I just ordered a Havasu Blue EX-L RES from an out of town dealer for $1500 above invoice. Delivery is expected mid-December, but my first choice was Sage Brush (delivery in January). If you can meet/beat that with a Sage Brush I'm interested too! Didn't mean to cut in line melandmal...:2:

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Jerry, welcome. I'm sure everyone will be gentle :)

All - should there be any questions about availability &/or pricing @ Jerry's dealership, please discuss that via email or private messaging.

Thanks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Jerry! I'm wondering if you have any way of knowing if the Pilot will be offered with a sunroof in the near future?

If not, do Honda dealers have the option to install one? I finally find the right SUV with enough headroom for me to have a sunroof, and the darn thing doesn't even come with one!:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is95aus said:
Jerry,
I just ordered a Havasu Blue EX-L RES from an out of town dealer for $1500 above invoice. Delivery is expected mid-December, but my first choice was Sage Brush (delivery in January). If you can meet/beat that with a Sage Brush I'm interested too! Didn't mean to cut in line melandmal...:2:
I do appreciate your replies. I really do. It really wasn't my intention to come to this forum to "drum up business"...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TheWorm said:
Jerry, welcome. I'm sure everyone will be gentle :)

All - should there be any questions about availability &/or pricing @ Jerry's dealership, please discuss that via email or private messaging.

Thanks.
I appreciate that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pilot-1 said:
Hi Jerry! I'm wondering if you have any way of knowing if the Pilot will be offered with a sunroof in the near future?

If not, do Honda dealers have the option to install one? I finally find the right SUV with enough headroom for me to have a sunroof, and the darn thing doesn't even come with one!:D
I would hope so, however, there isn't too much seperation between the MDX and the Pilot, with the exception of moon roof. Honda just might keep it that way...they are no-commital on this question.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jerry:

Thanks for your reply. Best I can make from your response is that my dealer is either incompetent or is in fact feeding me lines. He should know what you know: what day is build day; what day is ship day; where the vehicle is located at any time from factory to dealer; and when it will arrive.

If it takes 10 days to get to Baltimore then it might take 14 to get to north Florida, but I imagine that is an outside number.

I should shop elsewhere if I am lied to.

Regards,

EC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pilot-1, no worries about cutting in line. We're all in the same boat here. I'm sure that there's plenty of business to go around.

TheWorm, sorry about carrying on pricing discussions. I'll continue that via e-mail. Being a newbie, not so sure about the rules. I'll read up on them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eddie Joe said:
Jerry:

Thanks for your reply. Best I can make from your response is that my dealer is either incompetent or is in fact feeding me lines. He should know what you know: what day is build day; what day is ship day; where the vehicle is located at any time from factory to dealer; and when it will arrive.

If it takes 10 days to get to Baltimore then it might take 14 to get to north Florida, but I imagine that is an outside number.

Regards,

EC
One thing that I don't know about the Florida market...where their Port is. Here in Baltimore, it's just down the road. I dont know if your Port is in GA or even S FL.

Here is what I would do. Call your dealer tomorrow. Speak to the New Car Sales Manager. Ask him to look on the "In Transit Report" and give you the ETA for your car. Now Honda's ETA might be a couple of days off, but with the Pilot, it should be real close. Have your VIN handy and confirm the "general" date. Don't get too uptight about your salesman, he could be a non playert in this scenario. In other words he could very well be a "mushroom", do you know what I mean?

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eddie Joe said:
Jerry:

Regards,

EC
One other thing that needs to be brought up with your dealer. Ask them how long their process takes for them to stock the car in and to "PDI" the vehicle...say it just like that, ok?

A PDI is the Pre-delivery inspection...usually takes a couple of hours if done properly...and trust me on this...you want it done properly...no rush jobs.

Keep in mind that the Sales part is only a small part of the overall ownership process. You are definately on the down hill side. Maybe that was the wrong term to use for Florida...you guys don't actually have hills there do you? :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The Hills Aren't Alive...

Think Eddie Joe may have hills up there...but the only hills down here are the concrete & steel ones that usually go over water! :(

Jerry, At what point does the dealer know the VIN #? Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: The Hills Aren't Alive...

Sage said:
Think Eddie Joe may have hills up there...but the only hills down here are the concrete & steel ones that usually go over water! :(

Jerry, At what point does the dealer know the VIN #? Thanks!
We get the VIN when the car has been built and is placed on the "In Transit Report"

1 - 20 of 61 Posts