Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my third Pilot, a 2017 2WD, EX-L no Nav from John Eagle Honda in Houston. Really great experience, I highly recommend them.

That being said, because of my previous ownership of Pilots, this website, and doing a lot of research, I found out, again, that I knew more about the Pilot than the sales rep, who knew the Pilot pretty well, but not as well as I did or people on this forum.

Specific examples:

1. Variable Cylinder Technology. My previous Pilots had an indicator light on the dash panel showing with it was engaged. I went to the owner's manual and didn't find where the third edition had such a light, but thought I might be missing it. I texted my sales person and asked him about it. He very politely called me back and sought clarity on the question. I told him I had driven from Houston to Austin the night before and part of the time used ECON mode, but never saw a light, whether it be in Econ Mode or not. He told me "I am 99% sure the variable cylinder technology only works in ECON mode." I told him that couldn't be true, because if I am on a short trip, there might be a short stretch of interstate I'm on where it could be active without me being in ECON mode. Told him I'd bet him a cup of coffee it didn't have to be in ECON mode. He asked their Pilot expert and he said "I owe you a cup of coffee". Not a big deal, just interesting because this is a seasoned and very good sales rep.
2. We had a long discussion about Apple CarPlay. I told him I loved it, but I still prefer Waze. He told me unfortunately there wasn't any way Waze would work on Apple CarPlay. I recalled the string on here about using the Bluetooth audio to feed the Waze comments while having the Apple Maps displayed on the screen. He was amazed and asked several of the other sales reps if they knew this, none of them did. He told me later it was hugely helpful to them in their sales efforts.

This isn't the first time that this has happened to me in the car purchasing process. It's a process I enjoy and like most of you, do a lot of prior research before seeking pricing from multiple dealers.

Have any of you experienced this?

·
Registered
206 Posts
You are in the minority group of the general population that is REALLY in the know. There is nothing wrong with that though. Props to you for being an educated consumer. I am the same.

With that said though, it's my opinion that car salesmen really only need to know the basics of a particular car/model because that is that "works" with the general population. There isn't any incentive for them to know every vehicle in and out. Besides, if they did would you really believe everything that they said? I know I wouldn't.

Just for some background my general population comment not being in the know...it's not uncommon for me to get in someone's car that they've had for months or possibly years and ask them about a simple button or feature in their car. They typically respond with something like "Oh, I don't know. I've never touched that button." And nor do they really care. It's kind of sad in some ways.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Aside from the AWD gaffe about the Touring trim, I knew more than my sales rep. He kept calling it a 10 speed transmission. ZF 9 Speed! I would correct him every time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are in the minority group of the general population that is REALLY in the know. There is nothing wrong with that though. Props to you for being an educated consumer. I am the same.

With that said though, it's my opinion that car salesmen really only need to know the basics of a particular car/model because that is that "works" with the general population. There isn't any incentive for them to know every vehicle in and out. Besides, if they did would you really believe everything that they said? I know I wouldn't.

Just for some background my general population comment not being in the know...it's not uncommon for me to get in someone's car that they've had for months or possibly years and ask them about a simple button or feature in their car. They typically respond with something like "Oh, I don't know. I've never touched that button." And nor do they really care. It's kind of sad in some ways.
Well stated. And you’re spot on with the general population observation. While I agree it would be hard to trust them if they do know, I also see it as a huge differentiator if a sales person did know a line inside and out. So many car reps just know the basics. I’d think one who took the time to learn more and conveyed it in a helpful, consultative manner would have a leg up on 99% of the field.

I’m a sales guy, so I also enjoy the banter with car sales reps. I asked mine last Saturday ‘have you sold a car today?’

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My sales guy has been working the same position for around 22 years at the time. He was fabulous and Yes, I knew plenty more than he did. I pretty much know more than most folks whenever I walk into most stores outside of Home Depot. Sadly, Lowes and Home Deport are phasing out the good old General Contractors they had on staff. No one knows anything anymore. Going to Best Buy has become a bore. Those guys are recycled quite often. I only ask for help when I need something price checked or pulled out of inventory.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I usually know more about the car I’m purchasing than the sales person. I’m a car person and I research new vehicle purchases. When my wife bought her Subaru Forester the sales person really knew all features of the suv. He was even honest (if that is possible for a car salesman) and said the radio/electronics were subpar to competition.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been buying cars for a long time and I always know more than my sales person. That bothered me at first but I realized these guys have to know everything about all the models they sell, not just the specific one I'm interested in. And, options, standard features, etc change all the time. It would be difficult for anyone to keep up with all that. All said, most sales guys do a pretty good job with the general stuff, and the general populace (i.e., the ones who don't do their homework) don't know the difference. By the way, that's one reason there's so much misinformation on the internet..."my salesman told me that (fill in the blank)"

·
Registered
230 Posts
I know this is outside the topic, but I had a coworker told me that he had just bought a sports car with V8 engine. As I approached the vehicle I already knew that it was a V6. I didn't have to look under the hood.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah I had the same problem. You would never have guessed it though. My son knew more about the car than the both me and the salesman combined. For instance, he knew how the VTM worked. The sales rep and me didn't know about it. He also knew how the I-VTEC and the EarthDreams system worked. I was just utter disbelief. Then again, it was stuff that most people don't even think about. It was the same thing at the Toyota and Ford dealership as well. It seems like the sales people focus on the general stuff. Then when people like some of us smart buyers come along asking more than just the general questions they go blank.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That bothered me at first but I realized these guys have to know everything about all the models they sell, not just the specific one I'm interested in. And, options, standard features, etc change all the time. It would be difficult for anyone to keep up with all that.
This, times ten. Honestly, it's pretty ridiculous to fault the modern car salesperson for not being able to perfectly and consistently recall every feature and technological aspect of every car and every trim. What you can fault them for is telling you something when they obviously don't know or are unsure. This leads to misinformation. But I imagine most sales people believe that it's better to lie/make something up than to say they don't know, especially since they have no way of knowing if that person will go back and find out the truth of the situation.

With the advent of the Internet, there's no excuse for relying upon your sales person to educate you about a car you're paying substantial money for.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think that happens quite a bit. Each year, models changes, trim levels changes, packages change and it's hard to keep track of everything. For example, on my 2016 Accord EX-L, I get HD radio. However, on my 2017 Pilot Touring, HD radio is NOT an option, you have to have the Elite trim level to get HD radio.

The funny think during our test drive was that we drove a Pilot EX-L with the 6 speed and thought it was an absolute dog in performance. We tried the Pilot Touring with the 9 speed and thought it was a dog. Sales guy was like, 'huh, most people are happy with the performance, what were you driving before". Then while standing in the parking lot, after having pretty much decided the Pilot was not for us, I thought, "i wonder if ECO mode was enabled on the vehicle". Grabbed the keys, started it up, and sure enough. The car was on ECO mode. Turned off ECO mode and wife was super happy with the car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that happens quite a bit. Each year, models changes, trim levels changes, packages change and it's hard to keep track of everything. For example, on my 2016 Accord EX-L, I get HD radio. However, on my 2017 Pilot Touring, HD radio is NOT an option, you have to have the Elite trim level to get HD radio.

The funny think during our test drive was that we drove a Pilot EX-L with the 6 speed and thought it was an absolute dog in performance. We tried the Pilot Touring with the 9 speed and thought it was a dog. Sales guy was like, 'huh, most people are happy with the performance, what were you driving before". Then while standing in the parking lot, after having pretty much decided the Pilot was not for us, I thought, "i wonder if ECO mode was enabled on the vehicle". Grabbed the keys, started it up, and sure enough. The car was on ECO mode. Turned off ECO mode and wife was super happy with the car.
That's hysterical! I just drove to Houston from Austin and used ECO mode while on the highway, but the second I get into city traffic I turn it off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOL, that reminded me of a buddy who forgot to remove the governor screw to his kids ride in electric Fire Jeep. He thought that I modified my son's identical car to make it go fast.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I recently bought my third Pilot, a 2017 2WD, EX-L no Nav from John Eagle Honda in Houston. Really great experience, I highly recommend them.

That being said, because of my previous ownership of Pilots, this website, and doing a lot of research, I found out, again, that I knew more about the Pilot than the sales rep, who knew the Pilot pretty well, but not as well as I did or people on this forum.

Specific examples:

1. Variable Cylinder Technology. My previous Pilots had an indicator light on the dash panel showing with it was engaged. I went to the owner's manual and didn't find where the third edition had such a light, but thought I might be missing it. I texted my sales person and asked him about it. He very politely called me back and sought clarity on the question. I told him I had driven from Houston to Austin the night before and part of the time used ECON mode, but never saw a light, whether it be in Econ Mode or not. He told me "I am 99% sure the variable cylinder technology only works in ECON mode." I told him that couldn't be true, because if I am on a short trip, there might be a short stretch of interstate I'm on where it could be active without me being in ECON mode. Told him I'd bet him a cup of coffee it didn't have to be in ECON mode. He asked their Pilot expert and he said "I owe you a cup of coffee". Not a big deal, just interesting because this is a seasoned and very good sales rep.
2. We had a long discussion about Apple CarPlay. I told him I loved it, but I still prefer Waze. He told me unfortunately there wasn't any way Waze would work on Apple CarPlay. I recalled the string on here about using the Bluetooth audio to feed the Waze comments while having the Apple Maps displayed on the screen. He was amazed and asked several of the other sales reps if they knew this, none of them did. He told me later it was hugely helpful to them in their sales efforts.

This isn't the first time that this has happened to me in the car purchasing process. It's a process I enjoy and like most of you, do a lot of prior research before seeking pricing from multiple dealers.

Have any of you experienced this?
I purchased a 2020 pilot touring from John eagle. The salesperson didn’t really know much about the car. We test drove an ex-l and a touring and we asked if there are any mechanical differences and she said the transmissions are the same. That wasn’t that bad because it can get confusing but then we asked what were the differences between the touring and elite. She said only the ex-l and touring had a special wheel well liner that kept it quiet which the elite didn’t have for some reason. I don’t really care if they don’t know about something like I said before, but it’s so dumb when they say the car has some feature that it doesn’t have.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I purchased a 2020 pilot touring from John eagle. The salesperson didn’t really know much about the car. We test drove an ex-l and a touring and we asked if there are any mechanical differences and she said the transmissions are the same. That wasn’t that bad because it can get confusing but then we asked what were the differences between the touring and elite. She said only the ex-l and touring had a special wheel well liner that kept it quiet which the elite didn’t have for some reason. I don’t really care if they don’t know about something like I said before, but it’s so dumb when they say the car has some feature that it doesn’t have.
That sounds like they wanted to move a certain vehicle.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I bought mine from Katy Honda. Salesman was very knowledgeable about the car. I had researched the car thoroughly before buying, and he knew his stuff.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought mine from Katy Honda. Salesman was very knowledgeable about the car. I had researched the car thoroughly before buying, and he knew his stuff.
I know someone who was about to purchase a CR-V from there, and the salesman didn't know much about the car. They ended up not getting it from there because of their bad experience.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Omg, I knew more than any of the salespeople I talked to. Even at the Int'l Auto Show, they had the passport, too - and I knew more. None of the salespeople knew anything. Yay for the hive-mind b/t Piloteers & the FB groups & research.

One salesguy, best price of all the dealers within 50 miles, kid new nothing & argued w/me about something he was wrong about. lol. He was so disinterested. I was ready to write a check for a good down for the right car, but he sure didn't get my biz.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts