Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If there was a way to get more ground clearance without having to replace the axles every 12 months i would be interested in this since I do have trails and there is not a day the pilot is not full of mud of some sort .

·
Registered
17 Posts
As far as shocks go, I've been running KYB for years also, with no issue yet. been researching the Monroe 58645 load adjusting shock. Although designed for the Odyssey, pilot owners have installed and like them. I haven't decided yet if thats the way to go over the Moog problem solver coil replacements or my current air lift helper springs which won't hold air between fill-ups while on road trips, may need to add a compressor kit.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Well....it seems that if either of those companies wanted the business they would do it themselves. But I guess a mere Honda Pilot is beneath them.
There's no demand... I've been on this forum for a couple three years now and I can tell you it's been less than 10 new posts about installing a lift kit. Why spend the R&D and marketing time for something that won't sell in high numbers?

·
Registered
2006 EX-L RES 2WD
51 Posts
There's no demand... I've been on this forum for a couple three years now and I can tell you it's been less than 10 new posts about installing a lift kit. Why spend the R&D and marketing time for something that won't sell in high numbers?
That is true, but the OP said they were going to be doing the project anyways for their own personal challenge. Now if they did or not is the real question.
Have you done anything as you were saying in your post BB6-213? I am interested to see updates if you decided to do anything.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
That is true, but the OP said they were going to be doing the project anyways for their own personal challenge. Now if they did or not is the real question.
Have you done anything as you were saying in your post BB6-213? I am interested to see updates if you decided to do anything.
He joined 10 months ago and was last seen 9 months ago... Hopefully @BB6-213 logs back in to provide an update.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would definitely be interested in some sort of front end skid plate.
Odds are the front skid for the Pilot will require some custom DIY development as Pilots are mostly suburban mall cruisers. After installing a few skid plates on my Jeep the flat JK oil/trans front skid looks adaptable with some mods to provide some coverage to vulnerable areas. Depending upon where your planning to traverse there are other vulnerable unprotected areas under the Pilot. With or without @BB6-213 assistance there could be small niche interest in Pilot armor design + development especially in the first gen models as there will be a smaller monetary downside taking them off-road...lol

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
keep in mind these trucks are 14 + years old now ..manufactures don't usually support stuff more than 5 years including dealerships

·
Registered
3 Posts
Damn.. This post is so isolated. There are HUGE "Lifted Honda" and "Off-road Pilot" communities! And, there are starting to be some products out there. In fact, there are at least 4 different companies doing lift kits for them right now. One of the better ones for lifts (of all Honda's) is hrgengineering dot com
They offer a 2" suspension lift, and 1' sub-frame lift, which allows you to clear 31x10.5s
I have the suspension lift currently, with plans on doing the rest.
Before 2" lift:

After 2" lift:

I am still planning to add the sub-frame lift and go up 2.5 tire sizes from what you see here.
With the 2" on the suspension, 1" on the sub-frame, and almost 3" in tires (over stock), that's a total of 6 additional inches of ground clearance. Since the vehicle started with 8", that would put you at 14 inches. That's more ground clearance than a stock wrangler rubicon. These will never be rock crawlers or the ideal rig for the rubicon trail. But short of that, with up to 14 inches clearance and 4-VTM giving center lock with up to 70% power in the rear (sent to one or both tires based on traction), these are quite capable rigs. Anyone who doesn't think so, needs to work on their driving skills and quit relying on tech to do all the work. The biggest flaw these have in no low range. But, they have the same crawl ratio as all the new Jeep Trail Hawks do.
As it sits in this photo, the approach angle and clearance match a stock Tundra. I park next to one every day...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have seen their stuff posted on this site before... not sure why I glossed over the subframe drop.

But that's a lot of effort to get 1" of lift, I'm assuming they would have needed way more parts to make it larger.

·
Administrator
15,315 Posts
At that point, you also need to get longer brake lines, longer ABS sensor lines, accept the reality that drive line angles will cause rapid wear on components, and probably a bunch of other stuff I haven't thought about but you probably will find out about.

·
Registered
335 Posts
After 2" lift I am still planning to add the sub-frame lift and go up 2.5 tire sizes from what you see here.
With the 2" on the suspension, 1" on the sub-frame, and almost 3" in tires (over stock), that's a total of 6 additional inches of ground clearance. Since the vehicle started with 8", that would put you at 14 inches. That's more ground clearance than a stock wrangler rubicon. These will never be rock crawlers or the ideal rig for the rubicon trail. But short of that, with up to 14 inches clearance and 4-VTM giving center lock with up to 70% power in the rear (sent to one or both tires based on traction), these are quite capable rigs. Anyone who doesn't think so, needs to work on their driving skills and quit relying on tech to do all the work. The biggest flaw these have in no low range. But, they have the same crawl ratio as all the new Jeep Trail Hawks do.
As it sits in this photo, the approach angle and clearance match a stock Tundra. I park next to one every day...
Welcome @m-coleman ....nice job on the 2" lift kit as your Pilot looks awesome. The HRG sub-frame spacer kit lowers the sub-frame by an 1" to minimize axle angle caused by the suspension lift reducing any potential vibration and axle issues. Technically one loses some ground clearance but the combination of suspension lift and larger tires will ultimately boost the overall lift. Placed my order for the sub-frame spacer kit and there is a promo code.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Damn.. This post is so isolated. There are HUGE "Lifted Honda" and "Off-road Pilot" communities! And, there are starting to be some products out there. In fact, there are at least 4 different companies doing lift kits for them right now. One of the better ones for lifts (of all Honda's) is hrgengineering dot com
They offer a 2" suspension lift, and 1' sub-frame lift, which allows you to clear 31x10.5s

I have the suspension lift currently, with plans on doing the rest.

YOU ARE EXACTLY RIGHT.....

Before 2" lift:
View attachment 135031
After 2" lift:
View attachment 135032
I am still planning to add the sub-frame lift and go up 2.5 tire sizes from what you see here.
I LIKE THE LOOK OF YOUR PILOT WITH THE CURRENT LIFT.....I WAS THINKING ABOUT DOING THE SAME 2" LIFT ON MY PILOT.....I DON'T DO TRAILS.....BUT I DO GO OUT IN THE SNOW EVERY CHANCE I GET.....

ALSO.....DAILY.....I DRIVE HARD AND FAST AND I TOW A LOT.....SO.....DO YOU FIND THAT YOU HAVE ANY HANDLING ISSUES WHEN DRIVING AT HIGHWAY SPEED OR AROUND CURVES?....

THANKS.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the welcome
Getfurious: No handling issues at all. I did go down from 350 miles per tank to about 310 miles. But, I put the basket on at the same time. So, It could be the combination. I feel like the ass end is a bit soft when I have a good load though, in general. I think I'm gonna try the MOOG springs to stiffen it up when I can get them.
As for the effort it takes for the sub-frame lift... I'll have to check out the installation and decide if it's cheaper/easier than doing the axles more often. But then, how often is more often? Anyone had the lift a while?
The whole point of any lift really, is to get bigger tires under it. That's where you really get the difference. I just happened to get furloughed after installing the lift, so I can't get the 31's on until I am back to working.
As soon as I can, I'm going to do a video showing a technical trail (for youtube) that should inspire some.. 99% of "off-road" videos on youtube show the pilot on fire roads or playing in mud puddles. They can handle significantly more. And, I'm eager to show it. But, tickets are being issued for unnecessary travel in my area. And, money is a little tight being out of work.
unemployment can't verify my hours and pay cause the whole business is closed for quarantine. I have a feeling that's gonna be a problem for a lot of people... So, no checks coming

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have we gotten anywhere on a front-end skid plate? My plastic trim plate is held up by zip ties, and I'm surprised I haven't cracked my oil pan yet (although I'm pretty sure I've loosened something because I'm leaking around the mating surfaces).

--Chris N.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't found anyone making them yet. I will probably take my plastic one to a fabricator to copy in steel eventually. Or grab one at a junk yard and have it used to make one.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts