Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car (2008 Honda Pilot) was making a lot of noise under the hood. I took it to two local mechanics and they told me I needed a new engine. I ended up taking it to a Honda dealership and come to find out it was the timing belt tensioner. They replaced it, which fixed the issue. Well, I went to pickup the car this morning and now it's making a very faint noise for 2-3 seconds when I start it up. It goes away, but I have no idea what it is. Anyone have any idea? Here's a video showing starting it up a few times:

·
Registered
135 Posts
That sounds like a pulley bearing loose and vibrating upon spin up. Take of the serpentine belt and check the belt tensioner and pulley to see it its wore out.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
starter not disengaging

·
Registered
28 Posts
agreed, sounds like a starter. Does anyone know if these honda starters can be taken apart and cleaned/repaired?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
When my starter went out a couple of months ago, I looked into just doing the solenoid, but in the end the whole starter had to be swapped out for a reman.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Looks like it is the starter. Dealership quoted $750 to replace it. How imparitive is it to replace this immediately? Should I get replaced now or could I wait a couple of months?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
803 Posts
Thanks everyone. Looks like it is the starter. Dealership quoted $750 to replace it. How imparitive is it to replace this immediately? Should I get replaced now or could I wait a couple of months?
Got to an independent trusted Honda mechanic. I paid $450 for mine. It was a remanufactured one but it works great.
I THINK if you continue with a bad starter, it’ll wear the battery out (don’t quote me on that).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got to an independent trusted Honda mechanic. I paid $450 for mine. It was a remanufactured one but it works great.
I THINK if you continue with a bad starter, it’ll wear the battery out (don’t quote me on that).
$450 for parts and labor?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
803 Posts
$450 for parts and labor?
The starter was $202 (Napa Premium) and the labor was another $250 or so. I don't have the invoice in front of me but I remember generally. I also remember thinking it's worth paying someone else so I don't have to do it myself.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Rock Auto sells brand new TYC starters which are the same as OEM but cost a fraction.
It is a relatively easy DIY job. All you need to remove is the battery tray and use a cheater bar:
Below was the wrong video. The newer starters used 2006+ have bolts from the top rather than from the side.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When my starter went out a couple of months ago, I looked into just doing the solenoid, but in the end the whole starter had to be swapped out for a reman.
that's a shame, the denso starter on my toyota has a removable cover for the solenoid, I've removed twice in 125k miles to clean and lubricate the contacts. I'm guessing the issue here is with the actual motor needing lubrication.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
The honda starter can be taken apart since on the dealerships website you can order parts to rebuild the sucker

Reactions: vwvannut

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,945 Posts
I’d replace the starter sooner than later to avoid getting stranded at an inopportune time.
If you’re semi-handy you can do this job in less than two hours. Toughest part for me was getting the two bolts loosened. Having a long breaker bar is key.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,945 Posts
I’d replace the starter sooner than later to avoid getting stranded at an inopportune time.
If you’re semi-handy you can do this job in less than two hours. Toughest part for me was getting the two bolts loosened. Having a long breaker bar is key.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts