Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here notice a 3 prong electrical plug routed along the bottom edge of the front bumper and ending just under the front licence plate mount?

At first, I thought it was a block heater plug, but I didn't order one and block heaters aren't std equipment.

My silver EX has a build date of Oct 2002.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Sounds like a block heater to me. I can't imagine what else it would be. Looks like you got a bonus ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
SkyPilot said:
Sounds like a block heater to me. I can't imagine what else it would be. Looks like you got a bonus ;)
Nah, seeing as how he's in Canada, it's probably on his invoice somewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope there's nothing extra on my invoice; I bought the EX with no options.

I'm just wondering if the block heater is a "running change" like the Bridgstone tires.

Also, I noticed I have a key-lock cylinder on the passenger door and the rear lift gate, contrary to the specs that indicate that only the driver's door has the conventional key-lock cylinder for added security.

May it's just a Canadian change; it would be interesting if all newer builds have these changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
Looks like you "stumped the panel" Commuter...
Have you called the dealer? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
;)

I'm afraid the Dealer may somehow charge me if it's their error (just kidding).

When my next scheduled maintenance comes up, I'll ask them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
I was ready to chime in with the thermometer for the temp guage but three prongs? Sure sounds like an engine block heater. Maybe a picture would help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, block heaters aren't legislated here. The only thing that is legislated are the daytime running lights.

The heated mirrors, low windshield light, and heated seats (only with the leather seat option) are documented in the owners manual for CDN models. Block heaters aren't mentioned anywhere and that's why I posted my question.

These US/CDN model differences is irrational. I don't live too far from Buffalo NY and they got more snow than Toronto last year. You can't tell me that Pilot owners in Buffalo can't use some of these "CDN only" options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Got to be the heater.

Guess you have to follow the wire to be sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Commuter said:
Well, block heaters aren't legislated here. The only thing that is legislated are the daytime running lights.

The heated mirrors, low windshield light, and heated seats (only with the leather seat option) are documented in the owners manual for CDN models. Block heaters aren't mentioned anywhere and that's why I posted my question.

These US/CDN model differences is irrational. I don't live too far from Buffalo NY and they got more snow than Toronto last year. You can't tell me that Pilot owners in Buffalo can't use some of these "CDN only" options.
I'm in Buffalo, and I can wholeheartedly agree with you.

I know of at least one Honda dealer in the Buffalo area that sells CDN-spec grey-market Odysseys and Pilots. You get a nice break on the MSRP and CDN-spec. This is good for heated seats, DRL, but bad because, since the odo. is in km., if you have 20,000 miles on the car, it'll show 32,000 km

It also might be a hassle getting warranty service done at any location other than that dealer (or in ON).

I'm thinking of asking my dealer to switch the DRLs on - I assume it's just a programming thing.

It is astonishing that a Honda dealer in St. Catherine's sells a different spec-model than a Honda dealer some 20 miles away in Amherst, NY
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
As far as I know, to be registered in the US, the vehicle must have had the odometer and speedo changed to U.S. miles. We did a lot of Canadian vehicles at one point. There is a place South of Buffalo that does at least 100 Canadian vehicles a month, and they employ one guy just to do the speedo head changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
As far as I know, to be registered in the US, the vehicle must have had the odometer and speedo changed to U.S. miles. We did a lot of Canadian vehicles at one point. There is a place South of Buffalo that does at least 100 Canadian vehicles a month, and they employ one guy just to do the speedo head changes.
That's not what I was told, but what do I know? I was actually told the opposite - that it was not possible at this time to switch out the speedo/odo on a CDN-spec grey market Pilot. I also confirmed that the speedo is the opposite of US-spec models: the KMs are big and the MPHs are little.

I wonder if you could confirm for me whether switching DRLs on in a US-spec car is a simple matter of ECU programming?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Gey Market

From what I understand, as part of the DOT conversion, you must have a speedometer that reads in MPH, however the little number count, so the Canadian Speedo is ok.
I am not sure what the rule is on the odometer.

DRLs are a wireing change and a module, not just programming.

Maybe some day in the future we will get rid of all this wiring and go to computer/network controled lights. Then DRLs will be just programming
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Hey, plug in a hair dryer and see what happens? Maybe you got the special Pilot "generator" model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Re: Gey Market

N_Jay said:
From what I understand, as part of the DOT conversion, you must have a speedometer that reads in MPH, however the little number count, so the Canadian Speedo is ok.
I am not sure what the rule is on the odometer.

DRLs are a wireing change and a module, not just programming.

Maybe some day in the future we will get rid of all this wiring and go to computer/network controled lights. Then DRLs will be just programming
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about my VWs - which already have DRLs active and can be de-activated via ECU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
Commuter said:
Anyone here notice a 3 prong electrical plug routed along the bottom edge of the front bumper and ending just under the front licence plate mount?

At first, I thought it was a block heater plug, but I didn't order one and block heaters aren't std equipment.

My silver EX has a build date of Oct 2002.
Check you owners manual.

I have a US model and I believe my manual says something about the block heater and heated seats as "standard on Canadian models". (not something we use much down here in Texas)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Quick, call the Equirer

I think you have a secret "Electric Pilot" that was shipped from the factory by mistake.
When you take it in to ask about it they will offer you a new car, and quickly ship it back to Honda Research.

Honest, this happened to a guy who once knew a friend of my ex-uncles barber. Except it was a Ford Fairlain that got 100 MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
Re: Re: Any idea what this is?

tim.s said:


Check you owners manual.

I have a US model and I believe my manual says something about the block heater and heated seats as "standard on Canadian models". (not something we use much down here in Texas)
Hi Tim.s...
Welcome to the group. Make sure you stop over and say Hi to Havasu and post your Pilot info for the VIN TABLE.
Here's the thread!

http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=921&highlight=VIN+TABLE

:29:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Did anyone...

Did anyone ever figure out what this was for sure?
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top