Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I just got my pilot friday. Droved it all the way up from L.A. (to San Jose). So for like 6 hours I had nothing better to do than 'feeling' out the car.

I've noticed that my car/steering wheel vibrates after the car reaches speed of 75. Actually to be mroe specific, between the speeds of 75 to 85. It's there because I can feel it and hear it. AFter 3 or 4 hours of that speed - my arms actually got NUMB from the vibration! It's just enough to annoy the heck outta me.

I've seen previous posts about this problem - has ANYONE got a sure fix from their dealer?? I would like to point to the source of the problem when I bring my car back to the dealer so they can't BS me. This is actually a serious problem to me. It seemed many posts have been on this issue - but none had a solution to it or a resolution that was reached from the dealer?

Thx!!
G

·
Registered
289 Posts
Not completely fixed; but

a lot better. I had the dealer re-balance the front wheels and now it is very smooth until about 75MPH, then about 90% better. It still needs a little work; but my arm doesn't go numb anymore.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Vibration

After many hours of work on a Hunter 9700 at the "sister" BMW dealer after being sent there by my Honda dealer and another trip to the local Goodyear dealer with a Hunter 9700, most all of my vibration is gone. However, enough vibration remains to make me unhappy! I am still attempting to get resolution through my dealer, but I'm not sure whether that will ever really happen! It is just another of life's many annoyances, but should not be there on this vehicle!!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Steering Wheel Vibration

My Honda dealer performed a radial force variation wheel/tire balance on a Hunter 9700 on Friday. All 4 wheels/tires were well within tolerence indicating that all should be well with Tires/wheels. However I still felt the same vibration after the tires were rebalanced.

I also e-mailed Goodyear Tire Company on Friday outlining my problem. Got a call from their consumer relations office this morning. (their toll free # is 1-800-321-2136). They assigned a file # and asked that I have the tires inspected at an authorized Goodyear owned dealer. Just returned from my 2 hour visit. They indexed all 4 tires/wheels and rotated the tires. Vibration can still be felt in steering wheel at speeds between 70-80mph.

Goodyear concluded that tires are not causing the problem and that replacing tires would not be a solution. They suggest that problem may be in the Pilot's suspension. Hope this information is helpful.

Will present this latest information to the Honda Service manager tomorrow and see where we go from here. The more people who bug Honda, the quicker this problem will be resolved.

Dave Combs

·
Registered
469 Posts
Two of my wheels were at 0.012" runout which is at the maximum that Honda allows. The tire folks said theyt thought that was NOT the cause of the vibration. Did you get the computer output sheets from the Hunter evaluation?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Vibration

Mine were all between 0.003 and 0.009. My Honda service folks said that any thing below 0.0013 was acceptable.

By the way, I am originally from Louisville. Always pull for the Cats except when they play the Cards. I went to Bellarmine, so I had to pick other basketball teams to root for. Graduated from ST X in 1960. Guess that puts me in the older than dirt category.

·
Registered
518 Posts
OOPS I meant .0013.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Have you had the dealer try swapping your wheels with those from another Pilot to see if it makes a difference?
My last truck had the wonderful Firestones on it (at least they were good in the snow) and I had a problem with two tires (constant vibrations at highway speeds). Balancing made no difference at all. The dealer put wheels from another Mountaineer on it and the problem was gone. By the time we finally resolved it I already had 10K plus on them so we split the cost of new ones (yes Firestones).

·
Registered
112 Posts
david...fix your sig....tundra....cuz honda does not make a truck...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Re: Steering Wheel Vibration

david combs said:
My Honda dealer performed a radial force variation wheel/tire balance on a Hunter 9700 on Friday. All 4 wheels/tires were well within tolerence indicating that all should be well with Tires/wheels. However I still felt the same vibration after the tires were rebalanced.

I also e-mailed Goodyear Tire Company on Friday outlining my problem. Got a call from their consumer relations office this morning. (their toll free # is 1-800-321-2136). They assigned a file # and asked that I have the tires inspected at an authorized Goodyear owned dealer. Just returned from my 2 hour visit. They indexed all 4 tires/wheels and rotated the tires. Vibration can still be felt in steering wheel at speeds between 70-80mph.

Goodyear concluded that tires are not causing the problem and that replacing tires would not be a solution. They suggest that problem may be in the Pilot's suspension. Hope this information is helpful.

Will present this latest information to the Honda Service manager tomorrow and see where we go from here. The more people who bug Honda, the quicker this problem will be resolved.

Dave Combs
I received a call from Goodyear this morning. As a Goodwill gesture they want to replace all 4 Integrety tires with 4 new tires. I think I will go along with this. If the vibration is not gone Honda will have to deal with it as a vehicle problem and not be able to hide behind the tire issue.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Met with Honda regional representative today. We both drove my Pilot and the vibration was not there. That is the first time in 1400 miles that I have driven in excess of 70 mph without a steering wheel vibration. Go figure! It is a good thing the service manager experienced the vibration when he drove the car last week.

The Honda rep did advise me not to let Goodyear replace the tires. His rationale is that Honda is working a known vibration problem and that if I replace the tires I will be excluded from any remedy if that remedy included tire replacement. He also said that if the vibration returns to bring it to my dealer for them to keep for a few days to drive. I believe that Honda is honestly baffled as to the cause of this vibration. Sorry I don't have any conclusive news.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Trying again

I am taking mine to the dealer next Monday (20th) to take the service manager for a ride to see if they can identify mine. As previously posted it is mostly gone with an additinal balancing on a Hunter 9700; but not enough to elminate it completely. Will post follow-up on Tues. David--can you private message or post here the dealership and/or regional reps name so I can hopefully use this to convince my dealership that it isn't the tires? Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
I curious, in which months did the owners of the 'vibrating" Pilots purchase them? Is this an issue with the early production, or is it an ongoing issue with current production? Does it only appear on Pilots equipped with Goodyears?

(I'm still deciding whether to purchase now or wait to the 2004 model.)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Vibration update

I have had the vibration issue since I purchased my Pilot in August! The litenany of horror...

I swapped tires at the local Goodyear dealer immediately (7 miles) for their best SUV tire - the Fortera HL (new in January of 2002)

I drove with those tires for about 500 miles and complained to the Goodyear dealer who responded with four new Fortera HL's. Still had a vibration!

Took the Pilot to my Honda dealer who sent the vehicle to the sister BMW dealer who spent over four hours on a Hunter 9700 match balancing the tires. Result, less vibration than originally, but stil not to my satisfaction!

Drove another 1000 miles and returned to the Honda dealer who swapped temporarily for a set of Bridgestones from a new Pilot. Droce it for about ten miles with improved vibration, so I went back to the original Goodyear dealer with that info. Read more on this "fix" later!

Goodyear referred me to a Goodyear dealer nearby who also had a Hunter 9700. Spent several hours there - this time they gave me the computer output from the Hunter. Two rims were at the Honda factory runout limit of 0.013". This dealer said three tires match balanced perfectly and one was "suspect".

Went back and installed and match balanced the "suspect" tire. Result - most of the vibration problem was gone, but not all of it!

I have been noting that the vibration problem seems to dimish at times to almost entirely gone. At other tomes it is quite noticalbe (and irritating!) Does anyone else notice that? Could it be that the out of balance condition (hubs possibly machined eccentrically or wheels that are eccentric) could making this vibration come and go because they are "in synch" and "out of synch" depending on radial position? (i.e. in relation to one another since as you turn corners, the relationship of each wheel changes to all the other wheels as the radius of the inside and outside of the turning radius are different?)

Don't count on Michelin CT's to fix this as I correspond regularly with an MDX owber who had his dealer install new CT's and still has the vibration! HELP!!! I'm now at almost 7,000 miles and HATE THE VIBRATION! The dealer is at a loss as to any fix...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I also purchased mine in August

Mine does seem less at times; but it is never completely gone.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I too have had the vibration since I bought the Pilot last summer. I've had the tires balanced with the Hunter 9700, swapped the Goodyear’s with another set of Goodyear’s, rebalanced with Hunter 9700 and still had the vibration. All the time the vibration would come and go like Older than dirt said. The last thing the dealer has done was swap the Goodyear’s with Michelin CT's (Honda, dealer and I split the cost) and then balanced by the Hunter 9700. Vibration was less but still there. Went back to the dealer again too have them measure the run out on all four axles. All within spec per the dealer.

Now the funniest thing has happened.... the vibration is gone at 14,000 miles. I noticed the vibration disappeared on my trip back from Jacksonville, FL over the Holidays. Mystery!!! But what Older than dirt wrote makes since about the rims and hubs not being in sync.

Today I'm having my Pilot checked by Honda Corp Engineer for the mysterious vibration after Honda Corp wrote me a letter last Nov. explaining it was a characteristics of the Pilot and could do nothing for me. But a week later after the letter was written I received a call from Honda wanting to investigate the vibration further…. Which is happening today.

Dropped the Pilot off last night and the dealer told me that Honda Fed X four tires and rims already balanced. What about my Michelin’s… I asked. Dealer didn’t have an answer. Will know more this afternoon. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Also, I'm having the Honda Corp Engineer address the window scrunch, saggy leather seats and the rattle from the right rear (shock upper mounting bracket).

Let's hope we get some answers!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
pilot4me

Good work! I am sure most of us are very excited/anxious to hear about the final results. I think without TSBs, many dealers are less apt to explore these issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has anyone thought of replacing the RIM?? OR what about those owners with Metal/Steel rims?? Do they have the same vib problem?

I'm at around 1100k and I've noticed that the vibration problem disappearing as well! Which is good I suppose - it's barely noticable but I know it's still there - perhaps we are too sensitive.

I hope HOnda would find out the cause tho!

Anyone know if the MDX has the same problem??

G

·
Registered
469 Posts
Vibration issue

The rims meet the factory run-out limit, so the dealer is hesitant. Does anyone else with the vibration issue also have poor gas mileage??? I onlt get around 15 MPG around town no matter how I drive the Pilot. My thought is that if the VTM-4 unit is somehow "confused" and applying power to the rear wheels and front wheels all the time, poor gas mileage would result. This would also probably result in additional vibration at higher RPM's.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts