Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have previously had vehicles with anti-lock brakes. My Pilot's brakes seem to engage much quicker than the others. I had a Mountaineer for 4 years and I think the anti-lock brakes kicked in about 5 times. I've had the Pilot 3 months and they have kicked in twice. I guess that's good, but, it takes some getting used to.
Ed

·
Registered
276 Posts
ed o'shea said:
I have previously had vehicles with anti-lock brakes. My Pilot's brakes seem to engage much quicker than the others. I had a Mountaineer for 4 years and I think the anti-lock brakes kicked in about 5 times. I've had the Pilot 3 months and they have kicked in twice. I guess that's good, but, it takes some getting used to.
Ed

never had mine kick in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
1st Time Last Week

In five months, never on dry/wet pavement, once on ice last week.

·
Registered
161 Posts
ABS Kick

:2: I had mine kick twice last week when there was snow and Icy rain last week. ABS working GREAT with VTM4 when I went up the hill at 45 Degree angle.

SS-EX-L RES #35211

·
Registered
920 Posts
ABS kicked in while coming up to a stop sign on glare ice...

STOMP & STEER!!! Remember that-

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree

the ABS kick in more often/qicker than all the other cars I had that had ABS.
Last week snow storm, just normal stopping before red lights, snow only, as on busy street at night.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm wondering if those with Integrity tires and those with Cross Terrains mounted have had different experiences. I was driving the Pilot down a hill with a set of lights at the bottom, slightly wet road, and the ABS kicked in unexpectedly when I had to slow and stop for the red. I say unexpectedly because I have approached that same light innumerable times under the same weather conditions and at the same speed in my van equiped with Michelin MX4s and I was able to come to a safe stop without any wheel slippage or ABS. I'm considering switching out the Integrity tires for Michelin Arctic Alpines for the winter and then switching to Cross Terrains in the spring. The behaviour of the Integrity tires scared the hell out of me.
When I swapped out the OEM tires on my Civic for Michelin X-Ones I couldn't believe the improvement to the vehicle's handling and ride. It felt more firmly planted on the road and felt like I had fly paper on my tires going around corners.
Does anyone have any advice?:confused:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would think what you are seeing is more tires than ABS. If "quicker and more often" means what I think it does, then your ABS is activating because your tires are letting go earlier than what you would expect.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: I agree

PChiu said:
the ABS kick in more often/qicker than all the other cars I had that had ABS.
Last week snow storm, just normal stopping before red lights, snow only, as on busy street at night.
Remember, you're stopping 4400 plus pounds now. Nice to know the ABS is helping you stop your Pilot safely. :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
How are the Cross Terrains in bad weather and snow?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Scoobs said:
How are the Cross Terrains in bad weather and snow?
So far so good. We have had 2 major winter storms already (12 in. of snow) and I'm very pleased with the way the CTs have handled the snow. The real test will be in icey conditions.

The appreciable advantages to the CTs are the improved handling and smoothness of ride. Also, these tires are very quiet . They are expensive but I'm still very happy that I made the change.

I will be going to the 4X4 Alpins next year mounted on steel rims for winter. I'm a firm believer that there are tires for summer and there are tires for winter. Couldn't afford it this year though.

·
Registered
373 Posts
ed o'shea said:
Ed
I too replaced a Mountaineer and have noticed the same thing.
I feel as above it's to do with tires but the Mountaineers brakes were pretty poor by comparison to the Pilot's.
To get the tires to a lockup situation I would have to push the pedal really hard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ABS Kicking In

In 2200 miles (about 5 wks), I have had the ABS kick in twice, once braking hard on a curve with some dirt on it and the second in a hard stop at relatively slow speed. I was surprised the second time since I rarely had the ABS kick in on my Accord Wagon.
I will say that I am impressed with the braking, considering the 4400 pounds of the Pilot.
FYI I have the Bridgestone Duelers. They are really noisy and somewhat harsh. Seem to do well in wet weather. If the forecast holds for Wednesday (the 27th), I get to find out how good they are in snow, and see if the VTM AWD works.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've had the ABS kick in only on wet roads when I was obviously going too fast for conditions. It was also at intersections I know are slippery in bad weather. I do think the Integrity tires are a little poorer in the traction department than what the Pilot should have. I also fully expect to purchase the Cross-Terrains when these wear out. So I guess I'm trying to say (IMHO) the tires are causing some of the traction problem but the rest is me!

·
Registered
373 Posts
RE: Banningjr,
The thing I noticed as well is the speed I carry into turns and braking situations is much higher than in my Mountaineer.
The Pilot builds confidence to levels way beyond what I would have dared before.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The ABS worked for us when my wife and I were returning home from a fishing trip on the Rim Country in Arizona. I was driving on a single lane, dirt / gravel road when a herd on Elk crossed in front on us. I was traveling about 25 to 30 MPH and I hit the brakes while I steered for the right edge of the road. The pedal vibrated and the Pilot stopped without skidding or turning sideways. It worked just like it supposed to.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Tony said:
The ABS worked for us when my wife and I were returning home from a fishing trip on the Rim Country in Arizona. I was driving on a single lane, dirt / gravel road when a herd on Elk crossed in front on us. I was traveling about 25 to 30 MPH and I hit the brakes while I steered for the right edge of the road. The pedal vibrated and the Pilot stopped without skidding or turning sideways. It worked just like it supposed to.
TONY!!!

And I'll bet there was a huge drop-off on the side of the road, huh?

Shuddering...
CopperPoppy

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Tony ...

I probably would've had to check my shorts afterwards ...

Thank goodness for the ABS ...

PrG

·
Registered
256 Posts
We have had the Pilot (with Goodyears) out in the snow/ice twice now. Start and handling have been OK, but stopping is not good. The ABS kicks in quite often. My wife normal drives it and she is afraid she is going hit someone with this 4400lb truck and do some serious damage. (Her and the kids may be safe but the other driver may not fair so well, and you don't want to have to live with that if it can be avoided)

She had a CR-V with Pirelli Scorpian S/T's before the Pilot and it was great at stopping in the snow. Way better than the Pilot is. I know the Pilot is a heavier truck with the OEM tires so comparing it to the lighter CR-V with the Scorpians is not really fair but this is my wife's reference point. She feels unsafe in this big, expensive truck.

Question is: How are the Michelin CT's at stopping in the snow. This question was asked earlier in this thread but I don't think it was really answered. We are prepared to spend the $$ but if all we are going to get is better "Go" capability then I will just wait until the GY's are a little more worn and replace before next winter.

·
Registered
212 Posts
sski said:
We have had the Pilot (with Goodyears) out in the snow/ice twice now. Start and handling have been OK, but stopping is not good. The ABS kicks in quite often. My wife normal drives it and she is afraid she is going hit someone with this 4400lb truck and do some serious damage.
Same here, I think last year this time, this site had been discussion about this ABS kick in too soon.

Like you, last year we had sudden snow storm in Toronto.
My wife just tried to slow down from normal snow storm speed for a red traffic light, ABS kicked in very soon, then slided into the intersection. I was the passenger.

Not just once , but 3 times in a row.
We switched out the OEM Goodyear with Mich 4x4 Alpine snow tire as soon as we could. That solved the winter problem.
Very dramatic, not even one ABS that I can recall after that, of course my wife drive very slow- no very careful.

Cannot tell for the Cross Terrian, but in Edmunds site, one member with MDX said the similar thing happened to him.

Then go on to discuss that the braking test with some mag. stated that MDX with CT has a very long braking distance in compare with other SUV, but the Pilot with Goodyear is a little bit shorter than MDX.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts