Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the posts about the Pilot's anti-lock braking system and the description of this system on the Honda website. I'm wondering if others can describe how it feels when this system kicks in. I've noticed that, when braking hard in bad conditions, the brakes feel very rough -- sort of like a riding a skateboard on a gravel road. Is this normal? If so, it sure feels funny. It also feels like the car doesn't stop as quickly as it should when the brakes get this rough feeling.

All comments welcome and appreciated.

fitzkorn

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
fitzkorn - yes, your description of how the anti-lock brakes feel (riding a skateboard on gravel) is pretty accurate. Another indication is the "ABS" light that shold come on in the dashboard. In my case, I also hear a fairly loud "thumping" noise, too, as the ABS is engaged and the brake pedal "pulsates".

BTW, howdy neighbor!!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Hmmmm?

kemosabe said:
fitzkorn - yes, your description of how the anti-lock brakes feel (riding a skateboard on gravel) is pretty accurate. Another indication is the "ABS" light that shold come on in the dashboard. In my case, I also hear a fairly loud "thumping" noise, too, as the ABS is engaged and the brake pedal "pulsates".

BTW, howdy neighbor!!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Hmmmm?

kemosabe said:
. . . . . . Another indication is the "ABS" light that shold come on in the dashboard. . . . . .
I am not sure the ABS light shopuld come on durring normal ABS opperation.

It should show a failure.

Maybe under extream braking, the ABS system is unable to tell if it is working and puts the light on "just in case", but I have not seen this.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Warning: Bad Information

Fitzkorn: The description you gave of the ABS working is right on the money. Key to remember is, that if you hit your brakes and the ABS is triggered - STAY ON YOUR BRAKES - DO NOT LET UP. The system is designed to slow you down as fast and as safe as possible.

"kemosabe" gave you bad information about the ABS light on your dash. IF that light comes on, you have a problem with your system and should get to your dealer as soon as possible. Your brakes will continue to work, just not your ABS system.

Hope this helps!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Warning: Bad Information

PILOTinginCO said:

"kemosabe" gave you bad information about the ABS light on your dash. IF that light comes on, you have a problem with your system and should get to your dealer as soon as possible. Your brakes will continue to work, just not your ABS system.
Yes, my bad!! PILOTinginCO is correct -- if your ABS light comes on, something is NOT right with the system. Humble apologies: did not intend to give bad info... good thing for the checks and balances on this forum!! Sorry for the confusion... :bonk:

·
Registered
725 Posts
No Problems

Happens to the best of us - go easy with the hammer on the head "kemo"!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks!

Thank you kemosabe, N_Jay and PILOTinginCO!

I really appreciate the quick and reassuring responses. I'm glad there isn't a problem with the precious Pilot.

I never looked at the ABS light (didn't even realize there was one, to tell you the truth). I was busy listening to the sounds of the the ABS system because I thought I would have to describe it to a Honda mechanic. I don't think the light came on.

Thanks again.

fitzkorn

PS: kemosabe -- I'm just down the road -- in Bethesda.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One thing overlooked in the previous responses, but mentioned in the orignal post, is that braking with the ABS activated can indeed increase your stopping distance. This is because the wheels are allowed to turn instead of being locked up. The steering control you have over the alternative uncontrollable skid makes up for it -- IMHO.

Dan

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
DogIsMyCo-Pilot said:
One thing overlooked in the previous responses, but mentioned in the orignal post, is that braking with the ABS activated can indeed increase your stopping distance. This is because the wheels are allowed to turn instead of being locked up. The steering control you have over the alternative uncontrollable skid makes up for it -- IMHO.

Dan
This is true in only a very few circumstances. In real world conditions when you are exposed to less than perfect roads and/or when drivers do not brake correctly, the ABS does the job is was designed for - to stop the vehicle without going into a skid due to a locked wheel (or wheels). ABS works. Period. The main thing, as someone else pointed out - is once you get on the brakes with ABS, stay on them and do not try to "pump" the brakes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The Pilot is my first vehicle with anti-lock brakes. My wife had noticed that the ABS has come on a few times since we bought it, but didn't know that it was the ABS. Tonight with a bit of snow (and ice underneath), I felt the ABS for the first time. Felt rougher than I thought it should, so I searched on this forum and found this thread. I love this place. It affirmed that the vibration and 'skate-board on gravel' feeling was normal. Good.

I then took the Pilot to a nearby parking lot to put it through its paces. Accelerate hard.....brake hard. Accelerate on a turn and brake hard again. Accelerate with VTM-lock.

Very impressed overall with the traction. That's one key reason why we bought this thing. Good to experience the traction and safety systems now first-hand.

Rob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Vellinga - Leaf Fan

I wish you bums would'a paid Cujo what he wanted so he wouldn't be stinking up the crease for our beloved Wings.

Seems to me to be some Canadian plot to get the Cup back.

:2:

=paul=

·
Registered
481 Posts
re. cujo

Sorry about your luck, prvalko. (re. Cujo)

The Leafs tried to pay Cujo what he wanted and in fact offered him more money than the Wings. But he wanted to go to HockeyTown to try to win a Cup. Looks like he was better off where he was last year. (snicker, snicker)

My dad is a Wings fan and I sit beside a diehard, and I mean DIEHARD, Wings fan here at work in the land of Blackhawks. It has been sweet seeing Cujo not living up to his billing, since he left the Leafs.

Go Eddie, in Toronto. The Wings had the opportunity to get Belfour instead of Cujo, but passed on that. Tsk, tsk.

Good to be able to talk Hockey.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Crazy Eddie

Ed B is looking pretty good between the pipes for the Leafs (probably my #2 team, FWIW)

My nephew plays defense for the Chicago Steel up in Bensenville in the USHL (Jr. Hockey).

We've driven to Chi once and took the Amtrak once to watch him this season.

Next time, we'll try the Pilot!

=p=

·
Registered
481 Posts
re. taking pilot from eastern MI to Chicago

I'm looking forward to our next road trip, our first with our new Pilot. More space, less noise, more traction, etc.

In fact, I may even create a road trip.

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
116 Posts
DogIsMyCo-Pilot said:

Dan
Actually, this is physics 101. In addition to providing better stability, a moving (rolling) wheel provides better traction than a locked wheel. I know it sounds crazy, but the old "pump the brakes" addage wasn't just so that the car doesn't do donuts on you.

The classic high school experiment: Put a brick on a wooden plank and start tilting the plank. At some point the brick accelerating down the plank. This means that the pulling force is greater than the friction under the brick. If you just reached the breaking point, you'd think the brick would move at a steady rate, but it doesn't. As soon as an object starts sliding, it loses alot more traction than it had.

Anyway, the reason why you feel that it doesn't stop as fast as you would like simply comes from the fact that the car brakes at optimum capacity, which may be slower than usual on slippery conditions. You can rejoice in knowing that it would take even longer to stop without ABS.

- Ben

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
All true about ABS on a solid surface - ABS decreases the stopping distance.

But there is a warning included with ABS vehicles which states ABS may increase the distance on sand and gravel roads.

Since the ABS detects slip instantly on these "loose" surfaces, it makes the pulses even shorter and the total braking time per pulse decreases. The result is more wheel rolling, less braking per foot traveled and the over all braking distance increases.

·
Registered
207 Posts
tim s.-

True and also, on the sand and gravel roads, a locked wheel will build a little mound in front of the skidding surface which can help slow you down. Almost a digging effect from the tire. With ABS you don't get this effect.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Steering

Don't forget, ABS allows you to steer your vehicle away from an impending accident.

With my first two cars I just hit the brakes and prayed that it stopped in time. I've been experimenting with the Pilot in parking lots and am extremely impressed with how much control you retain with the ABS on.

Don't be afraid to stay on the brake. Even though it feels like it's breaking the vehicle, it's doing what it is supposed to do.

The one thing I don't like is the fact that the ABS kicks in WAY to early due to the crappy Goodyear tires.

I'm driving as much as I can to get those suckers worn down so I can justify replacing them!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts