Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No wonder my new head unit has bad reception. I always thought it was from the window mounted antenna. According to the stereo section of the shop manual (Thanks, Kemo), there is an Antenna Amplifier.

The question is: Should I power it with 12 volts?

Full Shop Manual Stereo section scan.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Huh?
If the power antenna is already there, shouldn't it already be powered up? No probelms here with reception, so can't help you out there.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
riseboi said:
FLPilot:Don't mean to get off the subject, but that's a great avatar.LOL:21:
Yeah - looks like FLPilot has gone to "plain clothes"!! :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yeah that's what happens when you are still up at 3:02 and go to sleep at 5:30. What makes it worst is making up a little after 8:30 and being back here.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wiring harness I got from Crutchfield did not have a wire for the antenna amplifier.

Apparently, the antenna on the Pilot needs to be amplified because of the window mount (guess?).

So, I'm wondering if it will like it if I give it 12 volts of lovin'.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Crutchfield harness does not have a wire for the antenna amplifier. Your radio should have a power input for "power antenna, antenna accessory", etc. On my Pioneer radio, this line was solid blue, and tagged. Splice into the Honda antenna amplifier line (yellow/white) and connect it to the aforementioned. DO NOT try and power up the amplifier. Once you make the connection to the radio antenna power line, the circuit will be complete and you'll have an amplified antenna.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess if the antenna amplifier needs 12 volts, then the power antenna wire should work. Thanks, Artman.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Antenna That was it. I never thought the Pilot had an antenna amplifier. The lead was for a power antenna. I always thought that was for a mast that was motorized.

Thanks for pointing that out, Artman. Maybe your second post will be just as enlightening!

Dimmer I'm still not sure what to do with the Dimmer lead. With it open, the HVAC lights up opposite of the headlights (dark = headlights = no HVAC lights). With the lead grounded, the HVAC lights are always on and there is no dimmer control on the dash. This works okay for now.

But I'd like to know for sure what I should connect the Dimmer lead to.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Have you tried connecting the dimmer lead to a dash light wire? Back "in the day" when I installed a lot of stereos, You could do that on some radios and then the lights in the radio would dim/brighten with the dash lights, like the factory radio did. Might be worth a try, but what does the manual for the radio say?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
RSeery said:
Have you tried connecting the dimmer lead to a dash light wire? Back "in the day" when I installed a lot of stereos, You could do that on some radios and then the lights in the radio would dim/brighten with the dash lights, like the factory radio did. Might be worth a try, but what does the manual for the radio say?
Honda does not put the dimmer in the positive side of the dash lights.
The dash hot is always at +12V (Battery) when on, and the Dash light return adjusts the brightness.

A creative someone could design a circuit to source a voltage that follows the brightness of the dash lights. (but my DC circuit design skills are a bit rusty)

·
Registered
112 Posts
So you guys have me totally confused.....does the pilot come with an un amped ant or not?

·
Registered
31 Posts
2004 Pilot and amped antenna

Does this also refer to the 2004 pilots?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Re: 2004 Pilot and amped antenna

Qbert said:
Does this also refer to the 2004 pilots?
Yes....that's why I sent you the link in your other post. Did you use an aftermarket harness. The one I used from Crutchfield had a wire specifically for the antenna amplifier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did use an aftermarket harness. It does have the lead but I an not sure if I hook this up to the lead on the deck harness if it will be in the correct spot on the factory harness. I don't want to splice any wires behind my dash. The harness I have is made by Scousche.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Qbert said:
I did use an aftermarket harness. It does have the lead but I an not sure if I hook this up to the lead on the deck harness if it will be in the correct spot on the factory harness. I don't want to splice any wires behind my dash. The harness I have is made by Scousche.
As long as you follow the instructions that came with the harness, you'll be fine. You could always verify the wires with a multi-meter as well.

·
Registered
983 Posts
So my issue was slightly different - put an '04 EX radio into my '06 LX. First put it together without hooking the blue antenna adapter wire into any power - no reception - garbage. Took it apart tonite and spliced the blue wire from the antenna adapter to the white/red wire from the #2 pin in the wiring harness (ACC), and now I have power to the antenna amplifier and it works much, much better. Since the stock 20pin harness doesn't have an explicit antenna amp signal wire (it's imbedded in the antenna wiring for the '06) I had to get something with power when the key was on. This means the antenna amp gets power whenever the car is on, but since I almost always have the radio/CD on when the car is on, it's pretty much a moot point.

Works like a champ.

andy

·
Registered
476 Posts
Great write-up! I wondered why reception dropped during my headunit install. I thought it was due to the tint. I'll have to try this next time I have my headunit out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok decided to bite the bullet and purchase a new harness to wire up my head unit. I found that the best harness I could find that had the blue power antenna wire was made by www.bestkits.com . I purchased this at the local Best Buy in my area. After re wiring my head unit I could pick up all the local stations in my area. Huge improvement. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I find it funny that after owning my Pilot for almost 2 months now, I haven't set any of the FM / AM radio stations. I think the wifey used the FM radio once. After having both Sirius and XM, I will never go back to terrestrial radio.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts