Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we had 8" of the white stuff in central Ct. today. I left for work at 6:15 A.M. in my toyota tacoma 4x4. It works pretty well i guess. I came home and took out the pilot on still unplowed roads and though holy-****, this thing has icredible grip. MUCH MUCH better than my truck. In 8" of snow i tried to get the thing to slide, spin, get out of line and there was no way. This thing stayed straight the whole time. Very sure footed. My truck under the same acceleration would have benn all over the place. So this proves my thread a while back that this is an incredible all wheather vehicle. It is not meant for true 4-wheeling like my truck. I bring the taco 4-wheeling all the time and that thing is incredible in true 4x4 terrain, but in 10" of snow or ice, the pilot wins hands down.

It has to do with the system of 4wd. My truck has a transfer case with 4-low, and an open differential. 4-low is a must for 4-wheeling. The pilot essentially has full time 4wd which kicks in with slippage, and works by a limited slip differential type axle. These are far superior in the slick stuff. But with no 4-low don't take it as a true 4-wheeling vehicle.

I can just say the pilot was absolutely incredible in the snow and gave me an immense amount of cofidence. BTW my wife drove it before me when all the streets were unplowed and she had a grin from ear to ear. Thank-you Honda.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the update, slimjim!

Still waiting for the white stuff here in SE Wisconsin. He had a small band of snow move through the other night that dropped about 4 inches of snow 15 minutes south of us - we got nothing more than a dusting. We got some lake effect stuff yesterday, but only about an inch and it melted instantly on the roads.

I never thought I'd WISH for a snowy commute!! :4:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well we had 8" of the white stuff in central Ct. today.
They forecast 6" here in NYC, but we got little more than a dusting, mostly rain. Typical.

I guess I'll have to wait patiently like everyone else. But I am glad to hear more about the success of the Pilot in the snow.

Evergreen

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OH, BTW< I thought the GY Integrities did fine. My only gripe with the tire is I believe it transmits too much road noise on dry pavement. Is there a quieter tire than these?

·
Registered
123 Posts
The forecast here in south central PA began with 4"- 6" and then went to 1"- 3". We ended up with a dusting. :(

·
Registered
185 Posts
Like Kids Again - VTM Rules !

I, too, am bummed out we only got a couple of inches in Western PA vice the up to five we were promised. Couldn't get any sort of front wheel spinning going to work on Western PA hills this morning either and then was really bummed when I got to work and they had already plowed/salted the parking lot. What were they thinking?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, originally central CT was suppose to get 3 or 4 inches while PA, NYC and coastal areas were to get more. This one fooled all the weather guys and gals....

Slim, some parts of NE CT got 10"'s! Still got to enjoy the snow with my Subaru (had to go pick up a friend who got stuck in her Toyota) while I wait for my Pilot to arrive......

·
Registered
698 Posts
slimjim said:
I can just say the pilot was absolutely incredible in the snow and gave me an immense amount of cofidence. BTW my wife drove it before me when all the streets were unplowed and she had a grin from ear to ear. Thank-you Honda.
OH COOLEST-A-MUNGO!!!

I can't wait to see pictures of the Pilots in snow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
slimjim said:
Well we had 8" of the white stuff in central Ct. today. I left for work at 6:15 A.M. in my toyota tacoma 4x4. It works pretty well i guess. I came home and took out the pilot on still unplowed roads and though holy-****, this thing has icredible grip. MUCH MUCH better than my truck. In 8" of snow i tried to get the thing to slide, spin, get out of line and there was no way. This thing stayed straight the whole time. Very sure footed.

Did you have snow tires on or were they just the factory tires? If the factory tires are fine, then i won't bother getting snow tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow!...if the Pilot handles so well.....

slimjim said:
Well we had 8" of the white stuff in central Ct. today. I left for work at 6:15 A.M. in my toyota tacoma 4x4. It works pretty well i guess. I came home and took out the pilot on still unplowed roads and though holy-****, this thing has icredible grip. MUCH MUCH better than my truck. In 8" of snow i tried to get the thing to slide, spin, get out of line and there was no way. This thing stayed straight the whole time. Very sure footed. My truck under the same acceleration would have benn all over the place. So this proves my thread a while back that this is an incredible all wheather vehicle. It is not meant for true 4-wheeling like my truck. I bring the taco 4-wheeling all the time and that thing is incredible in true 4x4 terrain, but in 10" of snow or ice, the pilot wins hands down.

It has to do with the system of 4wd. My truck has a transfer case with 4-low, and an open differential. 4-low is a must for 4-wheeling. The pilot essentially has full time 4wd which kicks in with slippage, and works by a limited slip differential type axle. These are far superior in the slick stuff. But with no 4-low don't take it as a true 4-wheeling vehicle.

........one can imagine how good the '03 MDX is gonna be!! They've supposedly improved the VTM-4 system by recalibrating it and the addition of VSA (vehicle stability assist) also includes 4-wheel Traction Control, which brakes individual wheels that are slipping for the best traction......it's like having "differential lockers" in the front and rear axles!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pilot loves the snow

We have had a number of opportunities to test out our Pilot in the snow and it does great. We are still trying to decide whether to buy snow tires. The Goodyears are OK in the snow, but not the best on ice. That is where good snow tires would help the most. There is no problem accelerating, but the anti-lock brakes get quite a workout when it comes time to stop. :eek:

·
Registered
96 Posts
slimjim said:
OH, BTW< I thought the GY Integrities did fine. My only gripe with the tire is I believe it transmits too much road noise on dry pavement. Is there a quieter tire than these?
Yes, there are quieter tires out there. They are called Michelin Cross Terrains. They will dramatically improve handling, smoothness, and road noise. I've had them for about a month. Been through 2 major snow storms with them. They are fantastic.

I am not sure how well they will do on ice. Adverage I'm betting, as they are not a true winter tire. Next year I will be purchasing the 4X4 Alpins on steel rims. Then I'll have the best of both worlds. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
slimjim said:

slimjim:

Did you have the 4 wheel drive locked (button pushed)? Or did you let the Pilot think for it's self?

Carl

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did not use the VTM-4 at all. I would not lock it in unless you're stuck. But I think the pilot will not get stuck in snowy roads. IMHO it will handle 20" of snow cover on a paved road with no problem. But if you go a little off road with snow, you may need to lock the VTM-4. But remember, it's only good up until 18MPH.

·
Registered
119 Posts
thanks for the response. I will remember that when we go skiing this year!!!

Carl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts