·
Registered
5,614 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So much for the accuracy of the data on the Tire Rack site:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A/S+P02+(H-+or+V-Speed+Rated)

Had a similar issue with a set of General tires I ordered.
Tire Rack site said they were made in the USA.
A call to General Tire customer service confirmed it.
However, the set of four tires that arrived at the installer had been produced in three different countries - none of which was the USA.
I guess no one will complain about tires made in Japan because their Honda is full of made in Japan parts? 😄

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About 65% of the content is from the US and Canada.
I picked up some bushings at the stealership for my 04 Civic a few months back, only to find that they were made in China. If I'd known that, I could have bought China parts from RockAuto at a much less price.
But these Made In Japan Sumitomo tires have served us well for 2 years and 60k. They are directional tires so you have to make sure to mount them the right way.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
I picked up some bushings at the stealership for my 04 Civic a few months back, only to find that they were made in China. If I'd known that, I could have bought China parts from RockAuto at a much less price.
Depends upon who in China made the parts.
They could have been made in a factory set up and operated by the Japanese OEM supplier, or they could have been made in some backstreet shop specializing in cheap and inferior knock-offs.
For example, the Japanese electronic component company Omron does manufacturing in facilities they set up in China.
OTOH, it's anyone's guess where some of the low-priced parts peddled via eBay (or Amazon) might have been sourced.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Our Pirellis have served us well.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends upon who in China made the parts.
They could have been made in a factory set up and operated by the Japanese OEM supplier, or they could have been made in some backstreet shop specializing in cheap and inferior knock-offs.
For example, the Japanese electronic component company Omron does manufacturing in facilities they set up in China.
OTOH, it's anyone's guess where some of the low-priced parts peddled via eBay (or Amazon) might have been sourced.
I'm sure Honda makes sure their specs are meet. But for an 04 Civic, Mevotech $5 bushings made in China would have worked fine.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So much for the accuracy of the data on the Tire Rack site:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A/S+P02+(H-+or+V-Speed+Rated)

Had a similar issue with a set of General tires I ordered.
Tire Rack site said they were made in the USA.
A call to General Tire customer service confirmed it.
However, the set of four tires that arrived at the installer had been produced in three different countries - none of which was the USA.
Ok, because of what you said here, I wanted to know where my 245 60 r18 HTR A/S P02 Sumitomo tires were made, that are on my 2017 Pilot EX-L. And after running the code, I am shocked to find that all four of my tires were made in Germany at a Dunlop factory. DM6R3819 (incorrect noted below)

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Ok, because of what you said here, I wanted to know where my 18 inch Sumitomo tires were made that are are on my 2017 Pilot. And after running the code, I am shocked to find that all four of my tires were made in Germany at a Dunlop factory. DM6R3819
View attachment 136423
The photo you posted shows a code of "VW" at the beginning, just after the DOT.
The "VW" code corresponds to a Sumitomo factory in Osaka, Japan.
Tire Codes V8-YY

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Now I'm gonna have to go out and look at our cars to see where the tires were all manufactured. I have Michelin Defender somethings on the Sonata (wanted BFGs but the tire shop screwed up things and gave me these for free), Michelin X LT A/S on the Traverse and Pirelli Cinturatos on the Pilot. Thanks for giving me something extra to do today!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just checked, and my Goodyears are all M7, meaning they were made in Santiago, Chile. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
I'm not a Goodyear fan after I wiped out my savings when I was 17 to buy a set. They didn't last a year of in town driving. so any Goodyear is a Badyear tire, to me. It's probably my longest product grudge. So I'm not the right person to ask.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Depending upon in which part of the world you buy them, Dunlop brand tires are either Sumitomo or Goodyear products.
Sorry, I deleted my comment. I realized you were the one who corrected my mistake.
So Dunlop-Maypop tires are not always made by their own facilities?

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Sorry, I deleted my comment. I realized you were the one who corrected my mistake.
So Dunlop-Maypop tires are not always made by their own facilities?
Sumitomo and Goodyear (along with Continental and a company in India) share the rights to use the Dunlop tire brand name in various parts of the world. As a result, manufacturing locations vary, as well.
You can look it up on wikipedia and try to make sense of it.

The only "Dunlop" tires I've ever had were the OEM tires on a Honda Accord.
The were made in Japan, likely by Sumitomo.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts