Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn motor is too quiet and smooth at idle! About a 1/2 hour ago, I tried to start an already running engine. :3:

Ok, who's got my stupid sign? :p

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hot Starts

In order to prevent Hot Starts, as theyre called, have a look at the tachometer, the guage that tells the engine's RPM.

EDR

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Samuel2003 said:
Damn motor is too quiet and smooth at idle! About a 1/2 hour ago, I tried to start an already running engine. :3:

Yup, I did the same thing. Even worse, I was returning to the dealership to have the DIO installed. Arrived at the dealership a few minutes before they opened and was sitting in the car, listening to the radio. It was raining out and the wipers were on intermittent.

One of the service advisors walked out to open the gate and, sure enough, tried to start the car - which was already running.

Ooops

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Here's your sign....

Well don't feel so bad, look at what these people did

:32:

·
Registered
608 Posts
when you "hot start" the pilot does it make that loud nasty ugly sound that most other cars do? if not, then what happens? i dont want to try :rolleyes:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I restarted PILOT twice. I think Toyota 4Runner has a new feature (LOCK) for this problem. We are missing this feature in PILOT. It does have a passenger seat belt warning light and starting an engine. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I'm afraid both Mr. Ziploc and I have committed the "hot-start" sin. The darn Pilot has such a quiet, smooth idle that sometimes you just automatically go to crank it.

Actually, my '98 Civic EX--with 90,000 miles on it--still idles so smoothly that I've also cranked it a time or two while running. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I hot-started my Pilot for the first time about two weeks ago. Funny, but I've hot-started Toyotas and Hondas, but never a Ford or Chebbie.:D

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just do it because I love the sound of grinding metal:18:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Here's your sign....

FLPilot said:
I bet that wouldn't have happened to a Pilot. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Re: Here's your sign....

FLPilot said:

:32:
Well, look on the bright side. At least now they have a very low step in height.;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Samuel2003 said:

I have done it a couple of times tooo. What will happen if we "hot-start". Will it hurt the starter or the engine? Any techeies out here?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: Re: Another problem with the Pilot! >:|

pilot007 said:
I have done it a couple of times tooo. What will happen if we "hot-start". Will it hurt the starter or the engine? Any techeies out here?
Most likely damage would be to damage the teeth on the starter, I believe.

Likelihood of damage increases based on the number of "hot-starts" and the duration of the "hot-starts".

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Samuel2003 said:
Damn motor is too quiet and smooth at idle! About a 1/2 hour ago, I tried to start an already running engine...
You'll have to check around, but some Dealer service shops have been known to fix this problem. If you're lucky you can find one which can adjust your idle fougher so that it is possible to *feel* the engine idling. ;)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Yup, or the easier way would be to disconnect the battery and NOT perform the idle learn procedure :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
This is not unusual for most modern engines. Some manufactures have incorporated an interlock that does not allow the starter to activate when the engine is running.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts