Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2012 touring with 90k. Car is dealer serviced and has been trouble free other than the ring replacement on three cylinders earlier this fall. We are out of the Honda extended warranty at the end of this year and I am wondering how long we should keep the pilot. It is not clear to me that the new rings are revised so hence my question - is this something that will happen again? Certainly could install a muzzler but wondering if there are revised rings or an assembly procedure that prevent the need to do so. Car ran great before and after the work - has never used any oil that is measurable on the stick.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What led you to investigate the rings if not oil useage? Other than the expenditure and perhaps a slight drop in mileage, what do you see as the potential downsides to installing a muzzler?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If his experience was like mine was lots of dash lights coming on and engine running rough.

i would have to the think the new parts were different.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rings were replaced because the car flashed check engine, vtm-4, etc. When they pulled the codes they showed a misfire and the rings were replaced. What was odd is the car never used oil that was measurable on he stick and otherwise ran fine.

As to installing the muzzler, the reason I ask is simple fear of the unknown: it is a creative solution and appears well designed but it is also a kludge fix and the long term ramifications are unknown - for example do the fans ever cycle off the signal generated by the switch circuit that is interrupted by the resistor? So the question is, before installing this device, is there really a need if Honda redesigned the rings or modified the installation procedure?

Thanks for any insights.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I look at it like this.... we know VCM harms the engine - as the rings are only replaced on cylinders with VCM enabled. We have tons of user data to reflect that. Even if the revised rings resolve that issue or most of it, we don't have enough data on engine wear with something like 100,000 miles after a re-ring. The VCM disable devices complete remove any risk of engine wear caused by VCM, and we haven't seen any ill effects from people running these for many years. It's just good sense, and cheap insurance to me, if I planned on keeping my Pilot for a long time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's hard to say if this was directly in response to the VCM issues or not but odds are it was...

Now that being said, if there was an issue with the rings by themselves, they ALL cylinders would be replaced. The fact that it was only the VCM affected cylinders is a pretty clear indicator that the issue is the combination of both. Remove/correct one from the equation and the issue is potentially solved. As @boom has said - there's more data available for VCM removal than the replacement rings and it's all been positive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
From the VCMuzzler sticky above:

Q. Does the VCMuzzler II change the operating temperature of my vehicle?
A. No, your vehicle’s cooling system is unaffected. The fans operate as usual as they are turned on by ECT2. The actual operating temperature of your vehicle is unchanged.

As to installing the muzzler, the reason I ask is simple fear of the unknown: it is a creative solution and appears well designed but it is also a kludge fix and the long term ramifications are unknown - for example do the fans ever cycle off the signal generated by the switch circuit that is interrupted by the resistor? So the question is, before installing this device, is there really a need if Honda redesigned the rings or modified the installation procedure?

Thanks for any insights.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will install it. Sounds like there is very little downside other than disconnecting it as a precaution prior to dealer service or an emissions test.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts