Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Looks like the ignition switch in the first picture.

It makes sense that it's the ignition switch. Most anti theft doesn't continue to check the key after a successful interrogation.

Can you post another picture of the socket the extra green connector plugs into? Is it on the immobilizer?

I guess it could be for a factory remote start. I'll check the diagrams tonight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
i tried to show in sequeunce how the parts come apart. The lst pic is where the 2nd green connector connects to that 'circuit board'.

The last picture has that little white spring loaded 'nub'. The lock mechanism engages it when you first put the key in the ignition and turn 'on'. Don't know the relevance of it.

This is the ignition/immobilizer/key that i bought from ebay and haven't installed yet, although i did swap out the immobilizer and circuuit board ring with no difference than what's in the pilot now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So that unknown connector is on the keyway? What are the wire colors. This is a tangent we can come back to since it doesn't seem to inhibit starting. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just the illumination for the key-way and the Key-in sensor.

It looks like a 7 pin connector. IF it is what I think it is, its, superficial.
pin.s

1. Blue/Black - Key-in-ignition Control
  2. ?
  3. Black - Key-in ignition Ground
  4. ?
  5. ?
  6. White/Black- Ignition illumination Control
  7. White/Yellow - Ignition illumination Hot

I;m not sure what else it would be for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So that unknown connector is on the keyway? What are the wire colors. This is a tangent we can come back to since it doesn't seem to inhibit starting. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just the illumination for the key-way and the Key-in sensor.

It looks like a 7 pin connector. IF it is what I think it is, its, superficial.
pin.s

1. Key-in-ignition Control
  2. ?
  3. Key-in ignition Ground
  4. ?
  5. ?
  6. White/Black- Ignition illumination Control
  7. White/Yellow - Ignition illumination Hot

I;m not sure what else it would be for.
I'd say that's correct because it didn't prevent the car from starting and/or driving with all controls working.

I think i'm going to install the new/used ignition lock and have the key that came with it, programmed to my PCM...if the key programmer will connect to the PCM.

I tried to connect today with my XTOOL OBDII/key programmer while it was running and not running, and wouldn't connect....but my Aultel OBDII scanner would connect?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Those usually work best with the engine off and the Key in RUN.
Was this was included in your replacement ignition lock?
yes, it is a complete ingition assembly with harness, key, immobiizer and another PCM.

My key programmer and the locksmiths' key programmers both failed to connect. Car on 'on', car running, car not running, me standing on my head and chewing gum at the same time....still failed to connect. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
In trying to program the replacement key to your PCM, the programmer won't connect but other obd scanners do?
What about the replacement PCM? Does the xtool connect to it?

Yet the vehicle starts with your oe key? You might have to connect with the key sense wire. Which doesn't make sense. Unless the PCM is querying the drivers module for key sense.

Does the xtool manual have a troubleshooting guide? Perhaps they have a process for when it won't be connect.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am super interested in this thread as my 03 pilot is doing the same thing AND I figured out the same thing that if I smack the steering wheel, it will come back on. But just like you, when I was driving it the other day, in the middle of driving, it flashed and I had to pull off the road and quickly fix it again. Thankfully I wasn't on the interstate when it happened!

So now it sits in the driveway and I was about to take it to the dealership here... until I read this. Now I'm not sure what to do. :/

·
Banned
142 Posts
i am super interested in this thread as my 03 pilot is doing the same thing and i figured out the same thing that if i smack the steering wheel, it will come back on. But just like you, when i was driving it the other day, in the middle of driving, it flashed and i had to pull off the road and quickly fix it again. Thankfully i wasn't on the interstate when it happened!

So now it sits in the driveway and i was about to take it to the dealership here... Until i read this. Now i'm not sure what to do. :/
This has to be an electrical wiring issue.....he is throwing parts at the issue without doing any testing to eliminate / isolate each possible cause.....

Take the plastic covers off of the steering column and check each wire going to the ignition circuit and you will probably find the cause of the problem.....

I believe that it is a loose or chaffed wire.....

By the way.....Honda had a recall on the Pilot steering column for an undersized wire replacement.....I don't know if it was related to the starting of the vehicle.....but you might want to check that before spending any money or time on this.....It may be covered by Honda for free.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am super interested in this thread as my 03 pilot is doing the same thing AND I figured out the same thing that if I smack the steering wheel, it will come back on. But just like you, when I was driving it the other day, in the middle of driving, it flashed and I had to pull off the road and quickly fix it again. Thankfully I wasn't on the interstate when it happened!

So now it sits in the driveway and I was about to take it to the dealership here... until I read this. Now I'm not sure what to do. :/

Alright man.....I (the shop) finally found and fixed the problem. The Pilot was/is my daily driver and has been sitting for most of the year because of this problem.

After smashing an 8 pt buck with my other daily driver, 02 CRV, i had to attempt to fix the Pilot. Wasn't about to drive the V10 Excursion for 90 mile trips to work and back daily.

To recap, Honda dealer couldn't fix the problem. I replaced immobilizer, no success. I bought a key re-programming tool, no success. Had a mobile key re-programmer come to the house, no success. Bought a used matching ECM/PCM, ignition w/key, immobilizer to put in was my next move.

I took the Honda to a friend/local shop who is a helluva mechanic but i started to not trust his minions working on my stuff. So i decided to take the used ecm, etc to him, to replace. I was certain that was going to be the fix.

Instead of just replacing the ecm, etc...he disassembled parts by parts. As he dug deeper into the dash, he could continue to replicate the problem by hitting the dash, column etc...You could always here a 'click' when the column/dash was struck with your hand or hammer to engage the green icon light on the dash for it to start.

Finally, a security sensor relay was bad. He could physically touch/squeeze the relay to make it go off or on.

He ordered it from Honda, and problem solved. Good as new. Love this damn car for what i use it for.

I'll get in touch with him and find the exact part description and number.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh gosh - I was just enthralled with this post as I'm experiencing the SAME problem. I have been to my mechanic multiple times and, after several shots in the dark, the car is still doing this. It is my wife's car and she's at her wit's end as this is starting to happen about once a week and the timing is always impeccable - 95 degrees, have to drive carpool, you know...
The car will start most of the time after a few punches under the steering column - that lovely green key illuminates and the car starts. My wife is already looking at newer Pilots- the kind that run in the $27K range - Yikes. Please help.
Sounds like it is a security sensor relay - what is the part #? If this part is < $27K, I'm all in!

Thanks,
Jonathan
2004 Honda Pilot, 170K miles

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alright man.....I (the shop) finally found and fixed the problem. The Pilot was/is my daily driver and has been sitting for most of the year because of this problem.

After smashing an 8 pt buck with my other daily driver, 02 CRV, i had to attempt to fix the Pilot. Wasn't about to drive the V10 Excursion for 90 mile trips to work and back daily.

To recap, Honda dealer couldn't fix the problem. I replaced immobilizer, no success. I bought a key re-programming tool, no success. Had a mobile key re-programmer come to the house, no success. Bought a used matching ECM/PCM, ignition w/key, immobilizer to put in was my next move.

I took the Honda to a friend/local shop who is a helluva mechanic but i started to not trust his minions working on my stuff. So i decided to take the used ecm, etc to him, to replace. I was certain that was going to be the fix.

Instead of just replacing the ecm, etc...he disassembled parts by parts. As he dug deeper into the dash, he could continue to replicate the problem by hitting the dash, column etc...You could always here a 'click' when the column/dash was struck with your hand or hammer to engage the green icon light on the dash for it to start.

Finally, a security sensor relay was bad. He could physically touch/squeeze the relay to make it go off or on.

He ordered it from Honda, and problem solved. Good as new. Love this damn car for what i use it for.

May I please have he name of the part and part number? Pretty please

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not OP but was having the same problem and solved it by replacing the fuel pump relay (or I've seen it called the main relay) under the dash, above the break pedal kind of. It also sounds like what OP was describing, when I smacked it with a screwdriver it would start. Part # 39400-S01-A01

21 - 38 of 38 Posts