Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX-L
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: This time around, dealer found a different code and replaced my injectors. We'll see how long that particular fix lasts.

2016 Pilot EX-L AWD with about 144k on the clock. Got the "Emission Systems Error" in early November. It popped up for maybe 3 or 4 drives, and then it went away. Took it to my local Honda dealer. They checked the code and based on the code, they applied a software update and checked the compression on all cylinders. Compression checked out, so they gave me back the car. Drove it for roughly a month, no problems, but I did notice my gas mileage seems worse than it normally is. I got the Emissions systems error again last week. This time, I drove it straight to the dealer to show them it was back. Made an appointment for today to get it checked again. By this time, the warning has gone away, but I assume they can still pull the code and tell me what caused it. I am also going to assume that it is a different error code? I mean, they applied a software patch, so the same code and the same problem shouldn't be happening again, right? I am hopeful that they decide to just replace whatever parts are covered under the warranty, so I don't have to go back for a third time.

Leads me to a question: Has anyone else been back multiple times for the Emission Systems Error? Did they ever just finally replace the catalytic converter, or the fuel injectors?

I'm hoping to not drag this out until 150k miles and then they won't honor the extended warranty when it happens again. I get the feeling that if the problem comes up for a third time, I am simply going car shopping... at the Toyota dealership. And it pains me to say that because my last 5 cars have all been Hondas.

·
Registered
335 Posts
my Emission error which kept coming back was resolved by replacing the oxygen sensors easily accessible right underneath the car after the Cat converter. yes, my fuel consumption was bad before but back to normal. Check the other threads to see what code and compare to yours.

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX-L
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it went much better than I expected. Dealer called me and let me know that based on the code they found, they had to replace the injectors. They had the car all day and also managed to perform the hood latch recall. Car runs and drives fine, and so far, no more dash lights. Fingers crossed that the repair holds for the long term. With about 145k on the ticker, any further problems will likely not be covered by the warranty extension.

Funny side story: They hand me the write up and they pointed out several items they recommended I take care of. Every single item on their list is something I have already had done within the last 2 months, just not at their dealership. They said my cabin air filter and engine air filter needed to be replaced and I replaced both myself less than a month ago. The stealership attempts to strike again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Emission System Problem to Failed Injectors to Failed Catalytic Converters

I’m an owner of a 2016 Honda Pilot Touring. My car is at the dealership as I am typing this response. I started to have that issue at 55k mi (in spite of having fuel induction service done- as advised) and injectors were replaced at 70k (covered by Honda). Now my car is at 130k and I’ve been to the dealership about 5-7 times since for the same issue. Now the issue that I have is that my cat converters needed to be replaced ($4k total) as error P0420 and P0430 keeps popping up whenever emission system failure appears.

It is very frustrating as I have always been keeping up with the service intervals and have been very proactive with my service advisor to make sure the car is in optimal performance. There’s no telling what issue will show up next. I remember the reason for buying a Honda is for “peace of mind” as their vehicles are “reliable” but has so far been the opposite with this vehicle. This is the only vehicle that we’ve had that had failed cat converters (130k less than 5 years pf purchase). We had a car for 17 years (300k mi) and never had that replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2016 pilot exl awd & just learned I have been cursed with the faulty injectors- although the dealer says the repair will cost nothing out of pocket for me (which I am grateful for) they say the part is on back order with no ETA or even an estimated length of time they might be on back order. My order was upgraded to a “critical back order,” which I guess prioritizes delivery when they are available, but my question is…has anyone had to wait for their fuel injectors due to being back ordered? If so how long of a wait was it!? & were u provided an alternative means of transportation while waiting? (Thru dealership or thru Honda?) I just can’t understand how it is ethical or legal even to expect customers to be punished by forcing them to just wait indefinitely, causing great effects on just about every aspect of day to day life (being immobile) due to fault of their own.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My emission CEL struck again and lasted 2 days and went away, I lost my code reader and couldn't read the code.

·
Registered
9 Posts
UPDATE: This time around, dealer found a different code and replaced my injectors. We'll see how long that particular fix lasts.

2016 Pilot EX-L AWD with about 144k on the clock. Got the "Emission Systems Error" in early November. It popped up for maybe 3 or 4 drives, and then it went away. Took it to my local Honda dealer. They checked the code and based on the code, they applied a software update and checked the compression on all cylinders. Compression checked out, so they gave me back the car. Drove it for roughly a month, no problems, but I did notice my gas mileage seems worse than it normally is. I got the Emissions systems error again last week. This time, I drove it straight to the dealer to show them it was back. Made an appointment for today to get it checked again. By this time, the warning has gone away, but I assume they can still pull the code and tell me what caused it. I am also going to assume that it is a different error code? I mean, they applied a software patch, so the same code and the same problem shouldn't be happening again, right? I am hopeful that they decide to just replace whatever parts are covered under the warranty, so I don't have to go back for a third time.

Leads me to a question: Has anyone else been back multiple times for the Emission Systems Error? Did they ever just finally replace the catalytic converter, or the fuel injectors?

I'm hoping to not drag this out until 150k miles and then they won't honor the extended warranty when it happens again. I get the feeling that if the problem comes up for a third time, I am simply going car shopping... at the Toyota dealership. And it pains me to say that because my last 5 cars have all been Hondas.
I have a 2017 Pilot. Had fuel injectors fixed. One time they repaired the leak with something. The check engine light is back on again with code 0456 and it has come on often in the years I have had this car.
Now they are not sure what the problem is. I have been to the dealer multiple times for this recurring issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts