Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Pilot EX, '12 Pilot EX-L, '15 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '05 Pilot, at 236k miles, had the VTM-4 light come on about 2 weeks ago. After doing some research here, I decided to replace the sensor myself - and change the rear diff fluid as well. Being the frugal sort, I went with a NAPA oil temp sensor instead of the Honda brand part. A week later, the VTM-4 light comes on again... this time intermittently. Was the after-market sensor the wrong way to go, or could I have a break in the wire harness? It's going to an indi Honda shop this week for a diagnosis.

What's funny is the same light just same on in my wife's '12 Pilot, at 132k miles. I'm up for the replacement again, but this time I'm going to use a Honda oil temp sensor.

Any ideas on the '05 Pilot sensor issue?

Thanks in advance,
Brad

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Yes, check for frayed or pinched wires, but it's probably because these Pilots don't usually play well with aftermarket sensors. I'm all for frugality (OK, I'm a cheap bastard :)), but for Honda sensors go with OEM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Good to know! That mistake may cost me another $100 (sensor + HONDA VTM fluid), but it's still cheaper than the shop!

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
That mistake may cost me another $100 (sensor + HONDA VTM fluid), but it's still cheaper than the shop!
When you compare the charge for dealer diagnostic, sensor replacement, rear diff service, etc you might be still ahead when you DIY the job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just replaced the VTM sensor and rear diff fluid in my wife's 2012 Pilot. After disconnecting the battery to reset the system, the warning light went away and the system works fine now. Yes, I used an official Honda VTM-4 sensor (from Hondapartsnow.com). Lesson learned. Now I just need to order one more Honda sensor and replace it in that '05 Pilot again.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Glad to hear the OEM VTM-4 sensor fixed it for you. Hope the removal of the old one and the installation of the new one weren't too difficult. Let us know how it goes for your 2005.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts