Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
04 pilot, 07 Ridgeline
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
Have read through many many post for the last week before asking, so here it goes
I have a workhorse of a G1 Pilot 300K miles ..... last week , when i put it in reverse, it just grinds loudly, no rolling, no gear engagement, just grinds. tried letting it roll backwards as I put in reverse and no difference, (its like a manual that you havnt pushed the clutch in and are trying to force it into gear) ... drives great going forward..
fluid is full, would a locked up VTM cause this when it is not moving?

any input appreciated..

Chris

·
Registered
159 Posts
Any lights on the dash? If you can get to somewhere to read codes that's absolutely going to help the best.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
04 pilot, 07 Ridgeline
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no lights on dash at current time. Occasionally ill get a p0300 followed by other 301,etc.. nothing transmission related

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,188 Posts
Fluid is full, but what color is it and does it smell burnt?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but based on the info so far your transmission is probably toast, sad to say. :( Time to swap in a replacement, if you think it's worth it.

Still, before you do, look into the possibility that it might be the transmission shift cable or transmission range sensor. Who knows, you might get lucky.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm curious: why would a hard failure like this not trip any codes? I mean, you don't need the codes to know something is wrong, but there's no way in hell the PCM should think everything's going smoothly.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
04 pilot, 07 Ridgeline
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What condition are your motor mounts in?
Hi all sorry for delay in replies , work has been busy...fluid is dark but not burnt..was due for the 15k 3 quart flush end of next month..been using max life in it....front motor mount by radiator has some slip in it but not terrible as it has been replaced before.. only codes have been misfire/random misfire codes... I had someone advise me of a possible cracked main shaft? I’m not against doing the flush early if you really think it might help , but I didn’t think it would with the grinding..as stated it goes into drive with no issues at all and drives down the highway in forward gears with no issues..

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
If you’re willing to spend money for 12 quarts of transmission fluid you might try 3x drain and fill. Choose the cheaper between Honda ATF and Valvoline Maxlife. Drive about 10 miles between each drain and fill.
The other option is take it to a transmission shop and see what they think.
But I’m guessing the transmission might be dead.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
04 pilot, 07 Ridgeline
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but based on the info so far your transmission is probably toast, sad to say. :( Time to swap in a replacement, if you think it's worth it.

Still, before you do, look into the possibility that it might be the transmission shift cable or transmission range sensor. Who knows, you might get lucky.
no kinks in the cable..was binding/stiff going through gears but i git that freed up..yes several months later im still picking away at it in my garage,,

·
Registered
04 pilot, 07 Ridgeline
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What condition are your motor mounts in?
Cloudasc.... Mounts to my knowledge are the Orig ones... but there is no metal to metal contact...would the mount cause enough offset that it might make an axle pop out of place, but still go forward okay? i drove it another 20 miles forward no issues going forward an no other codes popped up except the norm p300 codes..
yes still picking away at this thing on 1/30/2021...i survived covid..I aint giving up on it..

·
Registered
04 pilot, 07 Ridgeline
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update 1/30/21... Im still working on it a little at a time..although at times now when putting into park, it grinds in park?
so now. from a fresh start sitting still... in park no grind..put into drive, has engagement of drive with no noise...put from drive to reverse grind and no engagement, put into park from reverse and grinds still..have to kill engine to get grind to stop...almost like a synchro problem? idk..

thanks in advance all... no this thread isnt dead yet! ..lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, just changed the alternator and am having the same problem. When shifting from Park to Reverse that sickening grinding sound which makes me shift right back to Park. (Next line shows my stupidity) When the alternator died while driving, I tried to shift into neutral as the dash went dead and went into Reverse momentarily while moving 5 MPH. That’s when the deafening grind began but it only happens occasionally. Any success or ideas? I am not the wealthiest person and am fearing the worst.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, just changed the alternator and am having the same problem. When shifting from Park to Reverse that sickening grinding sound which makes me shift right back to Park. (Next line shows my stupidity) When the alternator died while driving, I tried to shift into neutral as the dash went dead and went into Reverse momentarily while moving 5 MPH. That’s when the deafening grind began but it only happens occasionally. Any success or ideas? I am not the wealthiest person and am fearing the worst.
BTW it’s a 2006 Pilot

·
Registered
1 Posts
update 1/30/21... Im still working on it a little at a time..although at times now when putting into park, it grinds in park?
so now. from a fresh start sitting still... in park no grind..put into drive, has engagement of drive with no noise...put from drive to reverse grind and no engagement, put into park from reverse and grinds still..have to kill engine to get grind to stop...almost like a synchro problem? idk..

thanks in advance all... no this thread isnt dead yet! ..lol
I have exact same problem, were you able to fix the issue?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts