Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been avoinding posting this hoping the noise would go away, but here goes...

My Pilot has been great so far, except for a noise that is coming from the rear passenger door. It sounds like rubber rubbing on rubber or leather on leather and it only occurs on bumpy roads. I took it to the dealer and they said the rear door was not adjusted properly at the factory, so they adjusted it. That worked for about a week, then it came back again. It doesn't seem to be a rattle, but something rubbing as the truck shimmys on the bumps.

Has anybody heard this coming from around the passenger side rear door and has anybody found a fix for it? I've read numerous posts about scrunch from the driver's side door, but I have a late '03 model and I thought they fixed the scrunch. Does this noise sound like the scrunch? What to do, what to do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Jet-Pilot-64 said:
I've been avoinding posting this hoping the noise would go away, but here goes...

My Pilot has been great so far, except for a noise that is coming from the rear passenger door. It sounds like rubber rubbing on rubber or leather on leather and it only occurs on bumpy roads. I took it to the dealer and they said the rear door was not adjusted properly at the factory, so they adjusted it. That worked for about a week, then it came back again. It doesn't seem to be a rattle, but something rubbing as the truck shimmys on the bumps.

Has anybody heard this coming from around the passenger side rear door and has anybody found a fix for it? I've read numerous posts about scrunch from the driver's side door, but I have a late '03 model and I thought they fixed the scrunch. Does this noise sound like the scrunch? What to do, what to do?

Thanks!
I recall that there were a few owners who had the scrunch on all 4 doors. Try the teflon tape fix. Seems like that's the best solution. Having a hard time finding the teflon tape at Home Depot though. I have a late model '03 and I'm beginning to hear the scrunch too. Honda never fixed the problem and even owners who have had the seals replaced have had the noise return soon after.

Good luck.:(

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Do you have a cargo cover?

If you do, take it out and see if the sound goes away. (When the felt padding on the ends wears down, it can start to squeak or "rub".)

·
Registered
570 Posts
You may want to check to make sure that the leather is not rubbing up against the door panel or some other object.

Our old Accord EXL did this and it was the leather rubbing the door panel.

Just a guess.....may not be it, but thought I would try.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
These things will drive you nuts

:3:

It seems like the dealer solved the problem, albeit temporarily. So, you probably already know the source of the noise, you just need a more permanent fix. It could be something as simple as some dry lubricant (even talcum powder) on the door seal.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tim.s said:
Do you have a cargo cover?

If you do, take it out and see if the sound goes away. (When the felt padding on the ends wears down, it can start to squeak or "rub".)
Appreciation and thanks for all your ideas. I took out the cargo cover with no luck. I bought some diver's silicone, but haven't put it on yet... will post if any fix works

·
Registered
6 Posts
scrunch

My dealership has been wonderful to work with Smith Honda, Idaho Falls, Idaho. I had the door seals replaced in the actual door opening (not around the door) no more scrunch!!!:) :) :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed this sound particularly on the front doors -- right by my ear when I was travelling on a bumpy highway. My dealer replaced all four door seals (the ones on the main frame, not on the doors). This took care of the problem for me.

The dealer said that the door seals had been upgraded by Honda, so anyone experiencing this problem should be able to get them replaced without too much hassle. I noticed that the new seals were definitely different than the old ones. I think the noise on the old ones was caused by two parts of the seal rubbing together.

·
Registered
330 Posts
robchronos said:
The dealer said that the door seals had been upgraded by Honda, so anyone experiencing this problem should be able to get them replaced without too much hassle.
That's good to hear. I had the scrunch problem when my Pilot was new (600-1000 miles) , but it seems to have gone away recently almost 3K miles. Maybe I'll ask the dealer to replace them when I take it in for its first service.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jet-Pilot-64 said:
Appreciation and thanks for all your ideas. I took out the cargo cover with no luck. I bought some diver's silicone, but haven't put it on yet... will post if any fix works
Well, I applied the diver's silicone... The noise is still there , but seems to be not as bad... I'll give it some time...

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I put some silicone on mine and the scrunch is gone, but lately I do seem to get more wind noise that sounds like its from the front edge of the window/door.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts