Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been trying to find the most elegant way to get the full AA experience in my 2011 touring for a while. I looked at NavTool really long and hard before I decided against it. I had heard of customer service horror stories, and that mixed with a terrible website and misleading wiring/installation instructions, I decided against it. That left either a new headunit like a Sony or Pioneer or utilizing a tablet. From what I've read, using a different headunit would mean that I would lose some functionality on the dash, so I was left with the tablet option. Skip to the bottom for pictures.

There's an app called Headunit Reloaded that acts as an AA headunit when connected to your phone. When looking for a tablet I needed 3 things toake it look as integrated at possible: 1) small bezels, 2) no branding on the front, and 3) a 1080p full HD screen. After researching tablets that matched those specs, I landed on the Samsung Tab A 8.4 (2020). It only comes with the LTE option, but I use it only on WiFi from the hotspot on my phone. It sits perfectly on the ledge in front of the factory screen, held in place by a magnetic mount. That way the only function I lose is the backup camera, but I still have the parking sensors, so it's not too bit a deal.
Plus, when I upgrade cars eventually my kid will get a decent tablet to toy around with.

I removed the panel to the right of the radio and punched out the cigarette lighter and floated it back into the dash. From there, I plugged a USB-A adapter into the cigarette lighter and a USB-C cable into that. I found a great low profile one from Anker. I ran the cable up to the corner and out right by the lower right corner of the screen and pressed the panel back on.

From there it was just a matter of centering the mount and getting the height of the magnetic plate correct so it would simply hold the tablet in place while it rested on the ledge and not have to support the weight.

The audio situation was a bit annoying, but it's the only way to do it. The tablet plays music from the phone via WiFi, so I had to have a Bluetooth receiver that could automatically connect to the tablet when the car turned on. For that I went with the Anker Roav Bolt. I then plugged that into the 3.5mm AUX. The audio suffers a tad bit with all the go-betweens, but I turned up the bass and treble a little bit and maxed out the subwoofer and it sounds pretty decent.

I have the tablet automated to wake up, start the Headunit Reloaded app, connect to the Roav Bolt, and connect to my phone's hotspot when the power is connected, which is this case is when the car turns on. From there it's just pressing the "Wifi" button on the screen to launch AA just like a real headunit does.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got a 2011 pilot with navigation, touring package. I was looking everywhere for an android auto option. This seems a good idea. Any second thoughts or shoulda done that things. Thanks Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been trying to find the most elegant way to get the full AA experience in my 2011 touring for a while. I looked at NavTool really long and hard before I decided against it. I had heard of customer service horror stories, and that mixed with a terrible website and misleading wiring/installation instructions, I decided against it. That left either a new headunit like a Sony or Pioneer or utilizing a tablet. From what I've read, using a different headunit would mean that I would lose some functionality on the dash, so I was left with the tablet option. Skip to the bottom for pictures.

There's an app called Headunit Reloaded that acts as an AA headunit when connected to your phone. When looking for a tablet I needed 3 things toake it look as integrated at possible: 1) small bezels, 2) no branding on the front, and 3) a 1080p full HD screen. After researching tablets that matched those specs, I landed on the Samsung Tab A 8.4 (2020). It only comes with the LTE option, but I use it only on WiFi from the hotspot on my phone. It sits perfectly on the ledge in front of the factory screen, held in place by a magnetic mount. That way the only function I lose is the backup camera, but I still have the parking sensors, so it's not too bit a deal.
Plus, when I upgrade cars eventually my kid will get a decent tablet to toy around with.

I removed the panel to the right of the radio and punched out the cigarette lighter and floated it back into the dash. From there, I plugged a USB-A adapter into the cigarette lighter and a USB-C cable into that. I found a great low profile one from Anker. I ran the cable up to the corner and out right by the lower right corner of the screen and pressed the panel back on.

From there it was just a matter of centering the mount and getting the height of the magnetic plate correct so it would simply hold the tablet in place while it rested on the ledge and not have to support the weight.

The audio situation was a bit annoying, but it's the only way to do it. The tablet plays music from the phone via WiFi, so I had to have a Bluetooth receiver that could automatically connect to the tablet when the car turned on. For that I went with the Anker Roav Bolt. I then plugged that into the 3.5mm AUX. The audio suffers a tad bit with all the go-betweens, but I turned up the bass and treble a little bit and maxed out the subwoofer and it sounds pretty decent.

I have the tablet automated to wake up, start the Headunit Reloaded app, connect to the Roav Bolt, and connect to my phone's hotspot when the power is connected, which is this case is when the car turns on. From there it's just pressing the "Wifi" button on the screen to launch AA just like a real headunit does. View attachment 137604 View attachment 137605 View attachment 137606 View attachment 137607 View attachment 137608 View attachment 137609 View attachment 137610 View attachment 137611
I saw your post about this subject and liked it so much that I am copying it in my Pilot! Great detail in the post. You mention "I have the tablet automated to wake up, start the Headunit Reloaded app, connect to the Roav Bolt, and connect to my phone's hotspot when the power is connected, which is this case is when the car turns on.". Can you tell me how you did this on the tablet?

Thanks.
Scott

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw your post about this subject and liked it so much that I am copying it in my Pilot! Great detail in the post. You mention "I have the tablet automated to wake up, start the Headunit Reloaded app, connect to the Roav Bolt, and connect to my phone's hotspot when the power is connected, which is this case is when the car turns on.". Can you tell me how you did this on the tablet?

Thanks.
Scott
Hey Scott, it's with an app called Macrodroid. Its free and relatively light on ads. It's pretty straight forward with triggers and actions. Hope that helps. Feel free to shoot me any other questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts