Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who've had your Honda radios out of the dash...

Is there an AM antenna trimmer somewhere on the unit? The trimmer is used to tweak the resonance frequency of the AM antenna for better reception on the high end of the band. They used to be pretty common on car radios, not so much now although I've still seen them.

tnx.

Elliott

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I had my head unit out last Friday evening to de-install the antenna side of an FM modulator, and don't recall seeing what you're referring to. What would I have expected to see if it was there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jay said:
I had my head unit out last Friday evening to de-install the antenna side of an FM modulator, and don't recall seeing what you're referring to. What would I have expected to see if it was there?
The trimmer pots used to be accessible from the front of a radio, then they moved to the back. Usually it's just a hole in the chassis, behind which you can see a tiny tweak. When I took the head unit out of my Passat, however, it was a shaft sticking out of the back with a rubber handle on it (touching the trimmer pot will detune it).

·
Registered
260 Posts
ell10tt said:
The trimmer pots used to be accessible from the front of a radio, then they moved to the back. Usually it's just a hole in the chassis, behind which you can see a tiny tweak. When I took the head unit out of my Passat, however, it was a shaft sticking out of the back with a rubber handle on it (touching the trimmer pot will detune it).
Just an FYI, I doubt you'll ever see a trimmer pot for antenna matching. Normally they are varicaps. Variable capacitors. Pots are potentiometers or variable resistors.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
AlH said:
Just an FYI, I doubt you'll ever see a trimmer pot for antenna matching. Normally they are varicaps. Variable capacitors. Pots are potentiometers or variable resistors.
So true! I was going to comments on that up front but resisted the urge.:2:
Actually, on the real old radios I think it was typically a ferrite slug in an inductor that you used to tune the AM antenna. :4: :4:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts