Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and how fast.

When the salesman first showed me the automatic up/down feature of the driver's window, I said to myself "Jeez, am I so lazy I can't hold my finger on the button for as long as it takes the window to open or close?". After a month of owning the car, I now ask myself "Why didn't they build that feature into all the windows?".:confused:

On the first car I had with a right side-view mirror, I remember it took me years to get in the habit of using it. I still just turned my head. Now, this is the first car I've owned with radio controls on the steering wheel. I figured, for the first couple years, I'd still be reaching for the controls on the dash. Instead, now when I drive my '91 Taurus, I try to adjust the radio with the cruise control buttons.:D

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
krygny said:
..."Why didn't they build that feature into all the windows?"...
Some Volkswagen models have it on all the windows. :(

I miss the programable door locks, headlights, horn, and such that I've got on my Jeep. And you're right, once you've had them you miss them.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
krygny said:
... and how fast.

When the salesman first showed me the automatic up/down feature of the driver's window, I said to myself "Jeez, am I so lazy I can't hold my finger on the button for as long as it takes the window to open or close?". After a month of owning the car, I now ask myself "Why didn't they build that feature into all the windows?".:confused:

On the first car I had with a right side-view mirror, I remember it took me years to get in the habit of using it. I still just turned my head. Now, this is the first car I've owned with radio controls on the steering wheel. I figured, for the first couple years, I'd still be reaching for the controls on the dash. Instead, now when I drive my '91 Taurus, I try to adjust the radio with the cruise control buttons.:D
Yeah - kinda like the first car I owned that had windshield washers and electric wipers (as opposed to vacuum)!

:2:

Golly, am I getting that old????

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: Re: Amazing what you get used to ...

colorider said:

Yeah - kinda like the first car I owned that had windshield washers and electric wipers (as opposed to vacuum)!

:2:

Golly, am I getting that old????
Was that feature offered before or after the automatic timing advance wan built into distributors?

(Sorry- that sounds like, but was NOT meant to be cruel)

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Amazing what you get used to ...

Loutog said:

Was that feature offered before or after the automatic timing advance wan built into distributors?

(Sorry- that sounds like, but was NOT meant to be cruel)
You are SOOOOO cruel. Vacuum advance worked very well - thank you very much!!!

Vacuum wipers were so much fun when trying to overtake another vehicle on the highway, they would quit - so you would have to slow down to clear the windshield again - thus falling back behind the vehicle you were attempting to pass!!! Talk about "blind" passing!!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
While we're on the window subject...how many of you cleaned off your windows everytime you went to shift your pilot? I think I had the cleanest windows in Washington. Now I'm used to it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
While we're on the window subject...how many of you cleaned off your windows everytime you went to shift your pilot? I think I had the cleanest windows in Washington. Now I'm used to it.
Here, here. I bet I really upset the dealer as I sprayed windshield washer fluid all over his showroom clean Pilot as I took the car out of park for my first test drive. Now I do it every Friday night, the first chance to drive my wife's Pilot after driving my car all week.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The first few days with the Pilot I had very clean windows too! I'm glad to see it wasn't just me and my neanderthal ways.
"UGH, UGH me shift car now, UGH.

It has gotten better lately! :4:

Matt

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Either

I'm either lucky or good (or lucky to be good) as I have only washed my windows one time when shifting from Park. It was the evening we picked up the Pilot and we had all ready sat in the lot for like 5 minutes (after our farewells) trying to figure out how to turn off the interior lights. Eventually we figured out the tailgate was not fully latched (DUH - what's that warning light on the dash). :32:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
m-mmeyer said:
The first few days with the Pilot I had very clean windows too! I'm glad to see it wasn't just me and my neanderthal ways.
"UGH, UGH me shift car now, UGH.

It has gotten better lately! :4:

Matt
m-mmeyer just needs to work on his "turning on the front individual map light" when he really meant to hit the left HomeLink button to raise the garage door... :p :D ;)

:2: (Just kidding...)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well that homelink button is pretty small for some one without opposeable thumbs! :rolleyes:
Actually the homelink button is a lot smaller than the garage door opener it replaces! The other small button is the unlock button on the key fob! :3:

Matt

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Amazing what you get used to ...

colorider said:

You are SOOOOO cruel. Vacuum advance worked very well - thank you very much!!!

Vacuum wipers were so much fun when trying to overtake another vehicle on the highway, they would quit - so you would have to slow down to clear the windshield again - thus falling back behind the vehicle you were attempting to pass!!! Talk about "blind" passing!!!:eek:
The car my dad taught me to drive (well almost) in a car that had vacuum windshield wipers. It was a 50 Studebaker. The wipers moved at whatever speed the engine demands left over for them and yes, they often just stopped altogether.

He also had a 53 Chevy truck that had a pull handle that acted as cruise control. Actually just some cable connection to the throttle that held throttle open - very dangerous because there was no automatic disengage- you had apply breaks and remember to push that damn handle back in to slow down the engine (yes you could always just depress the clutch, but then dad would yell because the engine was racing- you get the picture.)

Old cars are great, but I would not trade the Pilot in for any of them.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Amazing what you get used to ...

Loutog said:

The car my dad taught me to drive (well almost) in a car that had vacuum windshield wipers. It was a 50 Studebaker. The wipers moved at whatever speed the engine demands left over for them and yes, they often just stopped altogether.

He also had a 53 Chevy truck that had a pull handle that acted as cruise control. Actually just some cable connection to the throttle that held throttle open - very dangerous because there was no automatic disengage- you had apply breaks and remember to push that damn handle back in to slow down the engine (yes you could always just depress the clutch, but then dad would yell because the engine was racing- you get the picture.)

Old cars are great, but I would not trade the Pilot in for any of them.
Yep - I remember those too!! Whereas the choke had a "C" on the knob, the throttle had a "T". Just a simple cable to the carb. Kinda nice for warming up a cold engine. The last car I remember my grandfather owning was a 48 Chevy and we used to joke that he would keep the engine revving at a fairly high rpm and simply control his speed by the clutch!! I know when he finally gave up driving and we sold the car, the clutch slipped really bad!

:)

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
My '76 Vette has a floor button dimmer switch...

Regards,

Walt

PS It's for sale--the car, that is. Well, the dimmer switch is for sale, the car comes free with the switch!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Ordinary_Guy said:
My '76 Vette has a floor button dimmer switch...

Regards,

Walt

PS It's for sale--the car, that is. Well, the dimmer switch is for sale, the car comes free with the switch!
Reminds me of that story I heard recently, about all the West Virginia drivers and the accidents they are in. They keep getting their feet tangled in the steering wheel when trying to dim the lights.

Well, I can tell the story since I'm from West Virginia.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts