Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a few posts under the "New Members" thread asking who among us are "Hams" and figured it was time to start a new thread, or succumb to the dreaded thread drift.

I'm N2DVQ, my wife is N2EYX.

I'm pretty active from 160m-10gHZ. Contesting and maintaining several voice repeaters eats up most of my Radio time. I make my living doing commercial packet radio so outside the family life thats pretty much all I do, for work and fun. Spent several hours on a roof today putting up a new antenna, will finish tomorrow. Never ends

Only had the Pilot about 3 weeks, Drive an explorer for work so haven't got much time driving the Pilot let alone putting the radios in yet. Eventually there will be a Kenwood triband VHF-UHF radio and a FT100 with the auto tune antenna, but I got to rake the leaves and fix the shed and Theres the CW DX contest this weekend and then there is hockey practice and ...

Big doings planned for Jan VHF Contest
The Pilot will allow me to try rovering in the Jan VHF contest. Something I've always wanted to try.
An experienced rover friend and I plan to activate about 10 grids from 50-47 gHZ. NJ-PA-MD-VA-WVA. I expect I will have some pretty "Shocking" pix when all the antennas and rotor get put on top of the pilot. Going to be an adventure, really looking forward to putting the pilot into the hill-topping mode....

So, who else is out there???
And are your Pilots Radio-Active???
/Bob -N2DVQ

·
Registered
698 Posts
DX

I am not a ham radio operator but, my father was. He passed several years ago but, I remember him talking on that thing for hours. CQ, CQ, CQ, DX.

Thanks for bringing back a sweet memory for me.

Over.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: DX

copperpoppy said:
I am not a ham radio operator but, my father was. He passed several years ago but, I remember him talking on that thing for hours. CQ, CQ, CQ, DX.

Thanks for bringing back a sweet memory for me.

Over.
I posted in the other thread that my dad was for years.
I have all of his cards in a big box. Anyone know if they make special albums, like the phot rype that will hold those cards so I can put them in a book(s)?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pilot ham radio mobile

Running a FT100D + ATAS120 mini-screw driver antenna. The FT100D control head is Velcro'd to the NAA front panel. This location provides me with acceptable access to the controls and display viewing when driving. The radio chassis sits on a thick piece of foam rubber in the rear storage well. The ATAS120 is on a Diamond Antenna K540 mount attached to the vehicle left-side top rail. The antenna is thus high up and in the clear. DC power direct from the battery. The DC cable snaked through the fire wall via one of the rubber glands. All DC/control cables in the vehicle cabin neatly dressed and hidden from view as much as possible. Installation took a couple of hours, after determing where things would go. A mini mobile loudspeaker is Velcro'd to bottom of the control head. Own design of up/down hand held controller controls the ATAS120. I do not use the FT100D/ATAS120 auto-tune feature. Prefering instead to receiver noise peak on the desired frequency. Pilot QRN is modest. The major noise source appears to be the fuel booster pump. The FT100D NB reduces the Pilot QRN to a low level. All of the above would also apply to the IC-706. Operate daily on 40M-10M (regularly work DX ) + 2M. Over 10K miles driven, in heat, rain, snow, mountains, dirt, Interstate and Big City roads since taking delivery of our Pilot in August. In general the Pilot has been found to be a very amateur radio friendly vehicle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
de w8kc

Our three-day-old Pilot belongs to my wife who is NOT a ham (Thank God!).

Antenna, and FT-100 stays in my '97 Grand Prix until it gets replaced this summer.

Now that my wife has the family hauler, that S2000 in the showroom looks SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! :)

73! =paul= W8KC
Collector of Ten*Tecs and Other Fine Plastics.
Visit the Virtual Ten*Tec Museum at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w8kc

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: de w8kc

prvalko said:
Our three-day-old Pilot belongs to my wife who is NOT a ham (Thank God!).

Antenna, and FT-100 stays in my '97 Grand Prix until it gets replaced this summer.

Now that my wife has the family hauler, that S2000 in the showroom looks SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! :)

73! =paul= W8KC
Collector of Ten*Tecs and Other Fine Plastics.
Visit the Virtual Ten*Tec Museum at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w8kc
Welcome prvalko!
Enjoyed your website. Lots 'o stuff for everyone.
So tell us about your (wife's) Pilot. Be sure to post your Pilot info in Havasu's Vin Table thread...
http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=921
:29:

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
Tim Poliniak = N2LCJ :2:

Last of the technician plus class, circa 1990 :)

I could never get past around 8 wpm on code myself....I had a friend once that could listen at up to 40 wpm, talk with you, and keep tabs on the conversation going on in code on the 80m band :eek:

I'm in need of a decent used 2m rig, mobile or base, to replace my KDS which just up and died, if anyone has anything they'd like to sell please send me a PM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tim,

How can I send you a personal message without an email addy?

Please email me at [email protected]

I have a 2M Yaesu mobile rig that may suit your needs. I'm sure we can work something out.

73 =paul= w8kc

·
Registered
206 Posts
-.-. --.-

Ooh! Haven't done that in years!:26:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello Fellow Amateurs...

K1NTZ here. At the moment, my Pilot is equipped with a Kenwood TM-D700a dual bander and a TS-780 trunking scanner. Both of the related antennas are mounted to the rear of the side rails.

One of the reasons I got the Pilot was to have enough room for radios! The center console is great.

I'm considering getting an ATAS120 auto-tuning antenna and installing my FT100D in the Pilot as well, but I'm having a tough time deciding where to mount the antenna so that I can fold it down when necessary (parking garages and such).

Any suggestions from the group?

·
Registered
16 Posts
de N3ARL

Just bought the new ICOM IC-2720H. Will be putting the remote control head on the outside of the "not an ashtray". Also bought a Larsen KG 2/70 on glass antenna to mount on the left rear.

I think i'm going to mount the main unit on top of the Navigation system controller where the backup camera controller would normally go. Should fit right in.

Howard

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ex ham...

Used to be WA4QNH until my neighbors blamed me for everything from malfunctioning microwaves to sick pets. Most of the trouble was undoubtedly citizens band guys with linear amps, but I had a very visible antenna system and was an easy target. Sold all my junk and became dormant...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sinair
You didn't say your call...

I'm looking at installing my FT100 so several questions...

1. Wher did you find the opening in the firewall to run DC from the battery?

2. Your using a trunk lip mount. Did you pickup the ground at the base of the antenna or are you letting it float at the antenna base??? I have heard many people complain of a hot radio when the ATSA isn't bonded to ground within a few inches of the antenna. I have been using it in the work truck which has an NMO mount so havn't had a problem. Very interseted to hear what your grounding/radio instability comments are using this type of mount...

3. What about the built in autotuner/ATSA combo causes you to prefer a homebrew???

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
:eek: Glad to hear more Hams out there , I am W4XES, have been lic.for over 30 years, I run a Icom 706 Mark II G, with an Outbacker, I had a Bracket made out of Stainless Steel, I designed attaches to frame anc comes out side by gas tank filler, far away enough no problems closer to back of suv. works great, radio attached to cover of carpartment and head on double swivel with a Phone Holder up front on console. Give me all kinds of great angles and co polit can turn it toward them is there is one. Speaker just sits in the pit there and that works well. Any one wanting pictures let me know and I will send them. Very Easy to do. SS Bracket cost me 75 Dollars, and done by Welding shop, Bolt hold and nut all ready on car, Ithink was there for Trailer Hitch install. Very Low Noise, I love it.

Jim :5: :5: :5:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
James Cerqui said:
:eek: Glad to hear more Hams out there , I am W4XES, have been lic.for over 30 years, I run a Icom 706 Mark II G, with an Outbacker, I had a Bracket made out of Stainless Steel, I designed attaches to frame anc comes out side by gas tank filler, far away enough no problems closer to back of suv. works great, radio attached to cover of carpartment and head on double swivel with a Phone Holder up front on console. Give me all kinds of great angles and co polit can turn it toward them is there is one. Speaker just sits in the pit there and that works well. Any one wanting pictures let me know and I will send them. Very Easy to do. SS Bracket cost me 75 Dollars, and done by Welding shop, Bolt hold and nut all ready on car, Ithink was there for Trailer Hitch install. Very Low Noise, I love it.

Hey Jim - What part of Fl are you in?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
James Cerqui said:

Lets see some Pictures of the installation, especially the antenna bracket. Sounds like a good design for the antenna. I'm not anxious to start cutting holes...

·
Registered
900 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
Tim Poliniak = N2LCJ :2:
Last of the technician plus class, circa 1990 :)
I posted in a couple of other threads but thought I'd add to the list here, I'm WA4DAC, also a Technician Plus like you, Tim.
I think I was copying 13wpm when I took my test but would have had to go to a testing center out of town to take the written test, if I remember it correctly. Took mine from a fellow ham in my hometown.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts