Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had my 2004 EXL with RES for four days I cant believe how bad the am reception is. Has anyone else noticed this? I have traveled the same roads to work for the past 20 years in many different vehicles and I have to believe that something is wrong with the Pilots radio.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My Pilot's AM recception sucks, as well. But so does the AM reception in my CRV. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
driver said:
Having had my 2004 EXL with RES for four days I cant believe how bad the am reception is. Has anyone else noticed this? I have traveled the same roads to work for the past 20 years in many different vehicles and I have to believe that something is wrong with the Pilots radio.
You may want to take your EXL back to the dealer and ask them to check out your radio, per my story below:

My AM reception -- but also FM -- was terrible when I first got my 2003 EX. When I took it in for the first oil change, I told the Service Dept. about the reception and asked them to pls. check out the radio/antenna connection.

LUCKY for me, they did find that a connector between the radio and the antenna was not fully plugged in...and that turned out to be a simple fix for my problem. Now, I get both AM and FM reception that's quite acceptable.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My pilot of almost 2 weeks has excellent radio reception. It is as good as (if not better) than my 89 Camry which has awesome reception. When I lived in a 2nd story apt., I could get stations in my Camry (parked at street level on the opposite side of the apts from the transmitters) that I couldn't get on my receiver.

kad

·
Registered
373 Posts
My reception on FM is pretty good (not great) but the AM is pretty bad (good thing I don't use it much).

·
Registered
45 Posts
very poor

Mine sucks . I cant pick up over 50-60 miles F.M. that is, AM works great. Honda dealers (2) said there was nothing they could do about it. Chris

·
Registered
496 Posts
Re: very poor

ceads said:
Mine sucks . I cant pick up over 50-60 miles F.M. that is, AM works great. Honda dealers (2) said there was nothing they could do about it. Chris
Say, keep in mind that for the last week there's been A LOT of sun spot activity. It has been creating havoc for radio reception.

kad

·
Registered
342 Posts
My Pilot's radio was amazingly bad when I got it. I took it back to the shop multiple times and finally offered $100 to anyone at the dealership who could pull up any AM station. I even offered to pay gas money if they wanted to try the reception in another city! Of course, they could not find any AM stations.

I had them swap out the radio under warranty and the new one works perfectly. The reception is now better than most of my previous cars.

Check the cables but if that doesn't do it make them change out the radio.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point regarding all the solar flares but my hunch is there is something amiss with the radio. Every time I drive under a power line while on AM it hums and I loose the station. I know this happens on the very big power transmission lines but it shouldn't on the small local ones. None of my other cars ever did this. I'll wait till my oil change is due and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
496 Posts
driver said:
Good point regarding all the solar flares but my hunch is there is something amiss with the radio. Every time I drive under a power line while on AM it hums and I loose the station. I know this happens on the very big power transmission lines but it shouldn't on the small local ones. None of my other cars ever did this. I'll wait till my oil change is due and see what they have to say.
True - I just meant that if the issue was only noticed in the last week or so, give it another week and then if there is still an issue, it is some kind of hardware problem.

As far as power lines go, my pilot has no problems with AM near "regular" power lines (I haven't driven by any high capacity lines to see how it works, but I'm sure I would get interference).

kad

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just an update...

I went over the Altamont Pass (it has a lot of power lines going across it, both "regular" and high-capacity) yesterday. I only experienced interference when going under the high-cap lines.

kad

·
Registered
37 Posts
AM reception:

I have no AM reception in my Pilot.
I currently believe that it's due to the
dealer installed aftermarket TV antenna
placed on the driver's rear quarter window. That's where the am/fm antenna is. After beating on the service advisor long enough, I got a foreman who indicated that even metalic tints have gotten in the way of the radio reception.
The TV install folks are coming to relocate the antenna. For the folks with factory installed TVs, can anyone tell me where the antenna is connected?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts