Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone noticed on the AM Radio that when you drive under power lines instead of cutting out/static like most do, that it kicks in the bass? Very annoying. The radio cuts out fine during heavy rainstorms, etc. as expected, but the deep bass buzzing gets your attention near power lines.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Do you suppose it has anything to do with the fact that the 60Hz power is right in the middle of the sub's response curve? The magnetic field of the power lines induces a sympathetic resonance in the sub?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
hop23 said:
Do you suppose it has anything to do with the fact that the 60Hz power is right in the middle of the sub's response curve? The magnetic field of the power lines induces a sympathetic resonance in the sub?

:confused:

Does AM radio still exist ... ?

Good thing it's sympathetic, wouldn't want a resonance that just doesn't care !

:D

·
Registered
481 Posts
autobahn. . .

yup. that's definitely what happens. freaked me out the first time, then I noticed it whenever I'm under the high tension wires (which there are too many of in NJ) doubt there is anything that can be done, unless you wire a switch into the subwoofer power.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yup

Here to. Drive under three of those puppies every morning and it resonates through the vehicle.

Need AM for traffic updates.....

Is it really the subwoofer or just interference with the internal antenna?

I noticed a plastic cap in the back of the B pillar where the antenna originates in the window. If it is the antenna causing the problem, maybe there is a better one that can be installed.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Yup

bengelking said:
Is it really the subwoofer or just interference with the internal antenna?
I'm no expert on modern speaker design, but assuming the sub uses some sort of magnetic driver with a voice coil, the magnetic field from the HT lines will induce a 60Hz current in the voice coil, which will cause the sub to sound off.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bass

It only happens when the bass level on mine is at or above 4. Below that, it does not hum. Just FYI.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Bass

bengelking said:
It only happens when the bass level on mine is at or above 4. Below that, it does not hum. Just FYI.
Bass setting does not seem to affect mine at all. Still get the bad hum under power lines no matter what. In fact, mine are at 50HZ (vs. 60HZ - in response to an earlier post) - but do not think that is the issue either.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I just called my husband about this. He installs radios for a living (his dad owns a couple of Radio Shacks). Anyway, he says this antenna has been worthless since the 1970's. They keep saying they have improved them, but "they are a bunch of junk". He said you can drill a hole in the fender and install an arial (I don't THINK so), or install an XM radio in addition to the factory model, which is what I am opting for. It is $9 per month, but you get 150 stations in CD quality. You will still have to use the factory installed radio for local stations, but otherwise you will have great sound.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's gone

This might sound wierd, but mine is gone. I take the same route to work every day and the buzzing under the power lines is gone.

Maybe I blew out the sub!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts