Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New (to me) Pilot owner here. I recently bought a 2013 EX-L, love it to death. I’m a long time full size Ford truck guy, so the Honda feels like a Rolls Royce to me. Anyhow, I read a lot of posts here prior to my purchase, and the VCM issues had me a little concerned. I had planned on purchasing an S-VCM, but after putting about 500 miles on my Pilot, I’m beginning to question if I should. I haven’t noticed a single hint of a vibration when switching in and out of “eco” mode. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I’m a firm believer in that, am I being an idiot?

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
For years, I was ignorant of what VCM does. I had no idea that this feature causes cylinders to lay dormant when coasting, holding speed or in cruise. I'm old school. Back in the days of carburetors, points and condensers, if we had a cylinder not firing, we called it a dead cylinder. We fixed it because if you didn't, the valves would begin stick and gum up with oil or worse, stuck rings. You usually needed a new spark plug because it was fouled (at least clean it). Not much has changed. Just because Honda has masked it with their fancy engine mounts, whats silently going on under the valve covers is much the same. Oily spark plugs, blackened valves, stuck rings, dirty injectors. My vehicle was plauged with P0420/P0430 emission codes starting around 150k miles. I replaced both catalytic converters at 180k only to have this issue return again around 215k. Thanks to the info I found on this forum, and after disabling the VCM, my emission codes have not returned (254k). We do lots of high speed highway driving. This seems to push VCM troubles further down the road. Make no mistake, the day will come if you keep the vehicle long enough.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Make no mistake, the day will come if you keep the vehicle long enough.
This “good idea” is a much improved version of the old cylinder management system, i.e.: GM V-8-6-4 fiasco of the 80s. Didn’t work then and today there could be a price to pay when buying used VCM vehicles.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
This “good idea” is a much improved version of the old cylinder management system, i.e.: GM V-8-6-4 fiasco of the 80s. Didn’t work then and today there could be a price to pay when buying used VCM vehicles.
I've said it in another thread, but I'll say it here for the OP. My vehicle would have been sold for parts by now if I had not disabled the VCM. There was no other way around the problems I was having. 254k miles and no engine codes says a lot. When I resealed the oil pan and pump a few weeks ago, the crankshaft still set solid in the bearing. No play. Since this vehicle is 90% highway driving, the longevity of the vehicle will be determined by the transmission. Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF has done a great job at preventing transmission codes from happening. My hopes are high in pushing past the 300k mark.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I've said it in another thread, but I'll say it here for the OP. My vehicle would have been sold for parts by now if I had not disabled the VCM. There was no other way around the problems I was having. 254k miles and no engine codes says a lot. When I resealed the oil pan and pump a few weeks ago, the crankshaft still set solid in the bearing. No play. Since this vehicle is 90% highway driving, the longevity of the vehicle will be determined by the transmission. Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF has done a great job at preventing transmission codes from happening. My hopes are high in pushing past the 300k mark.
OK, how is the VCM going to affect a Crankshaft bearing now?

How does it clog a cat, when it turns off the injectors to those cylinders? Oil Blow buy, right? Maybe, I don't have actual data on that.

I once had a tail light bulb go out too. VCM- Right?

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
OK, how is the VCM going to affect a Crankshaft bearing now?
It doesn't. I threw that in there simply to say that just because your V6 is high milage, it still has lots of life in it.
How does it clog a cat, when it turns off the injectors to those cylinders? Oil Blow buy, right? Maybe, I don't have actual data on that.
3 Gen Pilots supposedly improved on this, though I still see oily spark plugs, but yes, dormant cylinders pump oil up and can enter the exhaust.
I once had a tail light bulb go out too. VCM- Right?
I almost erased my comment, but to each his opinion. Maybe my experiences are to hard to believe.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
VCM is a bad idea even when it's working as designed. It's a way for Honda to comply with CAFE requirements even though it has proven to only increase mileage by a mpg or so, if at all. The upside benefit to you is just about non-existent. No one buys a Pilot for its great gas mileage with or without VCM.

The downside liability to your motor mounts, transmission/tc, and engine can cost you enough to make what you save on gas an insignificant memory once the problems start so look at it this way ... if it ain't broke (yet), then why chance it if it's not doing you any good?

I have yet to hear of anyone reporting a problem using a VCM disabler. Think of it like insurance with no annual premiums that doesn't expire. Yeah, there's an initial one time cost but it's peanuts compared to what engine mounts and engine rebuilds can cost. If you're not feeling any vibrations, it could be the active engine mounts are doing the job of masking the problem, but they do wear out faster smoothing out those vibrations you aren't feeling and they are a lot more expensive than a lifetime saving of 1 mpg in gasoline.

Yes, you could be in the lucky group and never have a problem going un-muzzled, but it's not a chance worth taking in my opinion given the insurance is so inexpensive.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
New (to me) Pilot owner here. I recently bought a 2013 EX-L, love it to death. I’m a long time full size Ford truck guy, so the Honda feels like a Rolls Royce to me. Anyhow, I read a lot of posts here prior to my purchase, and the VCM issues had me a little concerned. I had planned on purchasing an S-VCM, but after putting about 500 miles on my Pilot, I’m beginning to question if I should. I haven’t noticed a single hint of a vibration when switching in and out of “eco” mode. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I’m a firm believer in that, am I being an idiot?
Well, my Gen 1 is now at 187K- With the VCM enabled it's entire life! It's FWD (front...) Original everything engine internals with. Drove it to work this morning with the ECO on most of the time. (Not the ECO button- 08 didn't have one of those.)

I've really tried to see/feel the difference myself- I can't.

HOWEVER- due to all this hoot and hollering about it, I have installed the SVCM on my 15 Pilot- 3 days ago, and have one for the 08 coming in the mail.
If I see a dramatic change in MPG, (maybe it will go up?), I'll disable it.

I just think that if it was going to be a problem with the 08, it would have done it by 187K miles!

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Well, my Gen 1 is now at 187K- With the VCM enabled it's entire life! It's FWD (front...) Original everything engine internals with. Drove it to work this morning with the ECO on most of the time. (Not the ECO button- 08 didn't have one of those.)

I've really tried to see/feel the difference myself- I can't.

HOWEVER- due to all this hoot and hollering about it, I have installed the SVCM on my 15 Pilot- 3 days ago, and have one for the 08 coming in the mail.
If I see a dramatic change in MPG, (maybe it will go up?), I'll disable it.

I just think that if it was going to be a problem with the 08, it would have done it by 187K miles!
Sounds like you have done a lot of highway driving.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It doesn't. I threw that in there simply to say that just because your V6 is high milage, it still has lots of life in it.

3 Gen Pilots supposedly improved on this, though I still see oily spark plugs, but yes, dormant cylinders pump oil up and can enter the exhaust.

I almost erased my comment, but to each his opinion. Maybe my experiences are to hard to believe.
Sorry NG, I wasn't trying to be too sarcastic. I respect your opinions on this and other things, etc.

Case in point, I AM putting them (SVCM) on my vehicles anyhow, and luckily it hasn't seemed to be a problem thus far,
but like jimmaki says- what's the point?
Few if any Pros, Many cons by leaving the VCM working, as you stated also.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
That's when the VCM works the most though?
Technically yes, but compared to a one mile commute to work each day, that's better.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Technically yes, but compared to a one mile commute to work each day, that's better.
Not to disagree, but a one mile commute, the VCM probably would not come on, it's disabled by the ECU until it reaches operating temperature.

My wife driving our 15, goes about 3 miles to work and back. I don't think that's quite enough to get it to turn on. Mute point now though as it now has....................................................drum roll................................SVCM!

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Not to disagree, but a one mile commute, the VCM probably would not come on, it's disabled by the ECU until it reaches operating temperature.

My wife driving our 15, goes about 3 miles to work and back. I don't think that's quite enough to get it to turn on. Mute point now though as it now has....................................................drum roll................................SVCM!
Simply remove your valve cover. If cylinder #4 looks like this,
(Not a photo edit. I'm not a sales rep for S-VCM.)

installing a VCM disabling device is the right call.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,941 Posts

Perhaps using say the LOML style of driving: full throttle and aggressive maneuvers during urban combat driving the VCM may never have a chance to activate....lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
i still have not experienced any issues on my 2012 that i bought new,, only real repairs so far (aside from the preventative timing belt/waterpump replacement) have been a new alternator this summer and new driveshaft the year before. one of the hoses from my windshield wiper pump has a leak, but I'm in AZ so IDGAF

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
one of the hoses from my windshield wiper pump has a leak, but I'm in AZ so IDGAF
Long hair Mike- I literally laughed out loud when I read that, thanks!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Simply remove your valve cover. If cylinder #4 looks like this,
(Not a photo edit. I'm not a sales rep for S-VCM.)
View attachment 143170
installing a VCM disabling device is the right call.
IIRC, actually on the 08, the VCM turned off 1-3 only. Then, they began to do 3 (1-3), or 2 cylinders (3&4). Hence why you'd see a change in #4.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Too bad they could not design it with an alternating cylinder shutdown. Shutting down one bank of cylinders, and then the other in an alternative fashion. Then that would eliminate at least some of these problems. They could call it the VVCM, variable variable cylinder management.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts