Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks, I had done it once on a VW 1.9 engine about 8 years ago and that was a fiasco in itself. i didn't think about folks not being on their computer over this weekend and didn't really think I would have this much trouble either.

The axle went in in just under an hour. I used the original axle nut because the new "OEM???" one had a wobble in it when spinning it on. Other then that it came out and went on without a hitch. The clunking when making a left turn is gone and the timing belt is running well. No heating issues after multiple burps and so far no leaks. I'm thinking the rumble I heard is the injectors firing and I did not have the cover over the engine at that point so I was hearing more then usual.

Thanks for all the replies and support.

Have a great week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Tough weekend to be looking on the forum for help, I'm sure most (like me) weren't on a computer all weekend with Thanksgiving...

Glad to see you got it sorted out. The damage from doing this wrong can be catastrophic so I was going to recommend calling and having it towed to a dealer or reputable shop to finish if you weren't 100% sure. It's cheaper to have them finish the job than have to rebuild the engine.

But alas, you figured it out... nice job!
My experience with dealers is not good so I tend to try it all myself when I have the time and the weather is decent. Having an inside shop would be good but all my tools stay in the garage and the cars stay outside. I do a lot of walking and a lot of getting down and up from the ground. I agree about the hauling and paying vs replacing the engine but the video cleared it up real nice and it was a fairly easy install all said and done. The engine seems to run smoother and interestingly my cat error code P0420 light has stayed off for the fews hours now on the new timing belt. I do expect it to come back but normally I see it on and off every other time I drive it. I've got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I must have watched 6 hours of videos before doing mine, and had some serious pucker factor.... but it all worked out in the end. :)

Glad you got it!

Where did you get OEM driveshafts from RockAuto? Last I checked they only have aftermarket CARDONE, TRAKMOTIVE, and APWI. I have read that anything but Honda driveshafts often lead to disappointment.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Little history the shafts i purchased from autozone , advanced auto , CARDONE for the same job all were short on the length to the OEM shaft.. I purchased the premium ones from Rockauto and never had an issue with them that was two years ago now .. over 60k ish on them .. When i need them again i know where to go

·
Registered
961 Posts
Little history the shafts i purchased from autozone , advanced auto , CARDONE for the same job all were short on the length to the OEM shaft.. I purchased the premium ones from Rockauto and never had an issue with them that was two years ago now .. over 60k ish on them .. When i need them again i know where to go
I don't know why but this seems to be a thing with Hondas... on the Accord and Civic forums I remember this being a common occurrence. I'll have to keep this in mind when this happens and my budget-nazi wife is grilling me about why I can't get cheaper ones!

·
Registered
336 Posts
What "premium" ones?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The higher end ones if you ever ordered from Rockauto you will notice they give different grades on parts daily drivers , economy , etc hence the price will of course go up on the better quality parts.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The higher end ones if you ever ordered from Rockauto you will notice they give different grades on parts daily drivers , economy , etc hence the price will of course go up on the better quality parts.
I am aware. They do not list any premium ones on Axle shafts.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I must have watched 6 hours of videos before doing mine, and had some serious pucker factor.... but it all worked out in the end. :)

Glad you got it!

Where did you get OEM driveshafts from RockAuto? Last I checked they only have aftermarket CARDONE, TRAKMOTIVE, and APWI. I have read that anything but Honda driveshafts often lead to disappointment.
I thought they were OEM when I bought them but I think now that I looked at too many. The ones I got were Trakmotive and made in China. They were the same size (length) but different materials. Cast iron plate to bolt to side of transmission on passenger side an distill when Honda used aluminum. I wanted OEM and thought I bought OEM but apparently did not. Sorry for the mistake there! : )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm hoping I am not dissapointed with this shaft. If so I will get a better quality for sure. It fit well and is quiet so far but only 1-200 miles.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts