Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I had a bit of a scare with the car not turning over.
The starter spun but the solenoid did not click.
I tried several times and eventually it cranked fine and fired right up.

Now that I am looking at the circuit diagram on p. 4-5, it seems that as long as the starter motor is spinning, then both motor and solenoid have the power; therefore, the starter relay should be fine and I am up for a starter replacement.
Is that correct? I was just trying to eliminate the possibility that I would drop a new starter in and still have a problem due to the relay.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
So yup, probably new starter. Happened to me last month. First went the relay route (when in doubt try what's easier/cheaper first), but it ended up being the starter. It happens.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
next time take a broom and tap the solenoid a few times and it will turn over .. and proceed in doing what plplplpl suggested :p

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already ordered the starter from Rock Auto, noticing that the solenoid was $300 while the starter was $90. Who buys those solenoids? It is 3x cheaper to take one off a brand new starter.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,955 Posts
It’s easy enough to test an automotive relay if you have a battery (9v should work if you don’t want to connect directly to the car battery) and a multimeter. I can’t recall the starter circuit off the top of my head but there is a shunt on the starter from main power input to another connection. If you are in an area where roads are salted that may be corroded.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some relays can be very tricky to test. Do not ask how I know.
Well, I am going to tell you anyway: I drove another car for a year with the main ECU relay acting up and stalling or failing to start the engine randomly. I was going bonkers before I found which relay it was.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,955 Posts
Finding which relay is acting up may be a pain, but testing the suspected relay is simple. I believe the starter circuit only has a single relay so that should be easy to check.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The relays might be fine when you test them but still strand you away from town. At least MOSFETs either work or they do not. I wish cars used MOSFETs everywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts