Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 Pilot and I watched many videos on changing the ATF but cannot for the life of me find refill plug.

Here is a look, facing the driver, can someone help me on where to locate that 17mm bolt?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Firstly I will say thank you for posting this because I’ve never seen what the ATF coolant line looks like. Where that hose is going into is where the fill bolt SHOULD be, however you have the transmission fluid cooler so I’m no help in this instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firstly I will say thank you for posting this because I’ve never seen what the ATF coolant line looks like. Where that hose is going into is where the fill bolt SHOULD be, however you have the transmission fluid cooler so I’m no help in this instance.

what's a transmission fluid cooler? Is this something not stock for 2003 Pilots?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Your Pilot has the oil jet kit installed. It was a TSB. You can search Honda Pilot oil jet kit TSB and find it. That line goes into the top center of the fill plug.

Remove the bolt a little before the 6 o’clock position in your picture and the tube will pull straight up. Then you can remove the fill plug. There is an oring on the line that I would probably replace.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,894 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
should I just refill it via the dipstick like traditional trannys?

Thank you for walking right into my perennial poll question. :D

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
I've seen people use aquarium tubing to make the dipstick port method easier.

Or this clever lad uses an automotive syringe. :)

ATF: Fill Hole or Dipstick Port?

·
Registered
138 Posts
On my '04 I just pull the oil jet and fill through the hole in the fill bolt. two funnels a small one stuck down into the hole, the longer one from up top into the small one.

BTW I was convinced the oil jet is why my transmission is still original at 201K, that and regular fluid changes. I haven't heard of many going that far without some issue to fix.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My 2003 also has the oil jet mod, so I use the 2 funnel system to fill thru the dipstick tube. A small plastic funnel that fits right into the tube, and then a extra long black extended funnel that reaches down to the small funnel. This combination works well, the ATF doesn't get airlocked in a long skinny tube and flows into the transmission at a faster rate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
On my '04 I just pull the oil jet and fill through the hole in the fill bolt. two funnels a small one stuck down into the hole, the longer one from up top into the small one.

BTW I was convinced the oil jet is why my transmission is still original at 201K, that and regular fluid changes. I haven't heard of many going that far without some issue to fix.
I had heard the exact opposite about it, my 06 doesn’t have it and I’ve just been doing tranny fluid changes every three oil changes.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,378 Posts
Thank you for walking right into my perennial poll question. :D

I knew this poll was coming.🤪

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
If your wife’s turkey baster has a small enough tip it might fit into the dipstick port. Then tape a funnel to the top side of the baster and you’re good to go. Just don’t put the baster back in the kitchen utensil drawer when you’re done.

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
Just don’t put the baster back in the kitchen utensil drawer when you’re done.
Whether you tell your wife or not may say a lot about the nature of your relationship. :)

I've taken mine apart and run it through a dishwasher cycle, and that still wasn't enough. Same with my little hand pump for VTM-4 fluid and power steering fluid. Had to hand wash it by hand and run it through a second cycle.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Whether you tell your wife or not may say a lot about the nature of your relationship. :)

I've taken mine apart and run it through a dishwasher cycle, and that still wasn't enough. Same with my little hand pump for VTM-4 fluid and power steering fluid. Had to hand wash it by hand and run it through a second cycle.
It’s near impossible to get the smell of car fluids off those plastic pumps.
So did you get caught in the act with the baster?

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
I bought her a new one. It's great when you can solve problems so easily. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts