Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you have mentioned the fact that there's a loud low-pitched hum or buzz over the speakers when the radio is set to AM and the Pilot passes under high voltage power lines.

I listen to AM frequently, and unfortunately I often drive a road that has powerless right along the edge for miles. The hum is so annoying I have to switch to FM or CD.

Has anyone every come up with a fix for this? Aren't there interference filters that can be added between the antenna and the radio unit? The AM reception is solid otherwise.

This is the first vehicle I've ever owned that did this.:bsflag:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I'm surprised that this is your first vehicle that does this. I've never not had a vehicle do it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
am hum

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. ANY TIME I GO UNDER LINES I HAVE THE LOUD HUM. I THINK IT HAS TO DO WITH THE ANTENNA. I ALSO HAVE SOME BREAK UP UNDER BRIDGES, ETC. I AM STRONGLY LEANING TO XM AS A SOLUTION. I JUST UPGRADE THE FRONT SPEAKERS ANS SUB BECAUSE OF THE POOR OEM UNITS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You will find in any vehicle that is equipped with a AM (amplitude modulation) radio that it will be VERY prone to power line noise. Not a whole lot you can do about in the normal type vehicle or house consumer type radios. FM (frequency Modulation) type of radios do not have near the trouble by virtue of their modulation scheme. Run an electric appliance (i.e drill) near your car while listening to the AM portion of your radio and then do the same while tuned to the FM portion. IF AM station is strong enough it MAY overpower the noise so do the test tuned off a station.
If you really want to get into the theory of it, do a search on power line noise and its characteristics, just get a big cup of coffee!!
yes there are noise limiters that are used in some radios but not that I have seen in normal consumer auto/home radios.

Regards,
Chuck

·
Registered
236 Posts
foxhallow said:
I know some of you have mentioned the fact that there's a loud low-pitched hum or buzz over the speakers when the radio is set to AM and the Pilot passes under high voltage power lines.

I listen to AM frequently, and unfortunately I often drive a road that has powerless right along the edge for miles. The hum is so annoying I have to switch to FM or CD.

Has anyone every come up with a fix for this? Aren't there interference filters that can be added between the antenna and the radio unit? The AM reception is solid otherwise.

The fix is easy.....listen only to FM stations.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
jay said:
I'm surprised that this is your first vehicle that does this. I've never not had a vehicle do it.
Believe it or not, my Pontiac Montana's radio does not do this. Only once in a while and even then, the 'hum' is very low. But for some reason, the Pilot radio seems particularly susceptible to this "AM hum".

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jay said:
All vehicles are different, but my previous Chrysler and my wife's Toyota don't do this. Driving along the same road with the power lines along the side, you may notice a few crackels now and then, but not the constant loud hum.

I want to figure out a fix for this. Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Same problem here.

I have the same problem with the AM.

My Volvo 850 wagon, does not do that and has a crystal clear AM.
The wagon has the samilar type of antenna embeded in the cargo area window, and has an amplifer connected (OEM).

I complaint to the techanican at my 1st service, instead of checking for loose connection, he just debated with me it is the same situation with the cellular phone :confused:

Nothing has been done.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
foxhallow said:

. . .

Yep, best it is the first with a sub-woofer!

All Am will pickup 60Hz hum, just most radios don't reproduce much below 200Hz.

Some one should have mades the Sub turn off on AM. :confused:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
AM Radio

The last car I owned that did this near power lines was a 1971 Chevrolet Nova that I got rid of in 1979. Now that is saying something. The first time I drove the Pilot under a power line while listening to AM it brought back some good old memories, but there is no excuse for a vehicle having this problem in 2003. Personally I don't listen to AM much so it's not a problem for me. If I did listen to Am I would be P O'd big time.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: AM Radio

Scoobs said:
, but there is no excuse for a vehicle having this problem in 2003.
Its not an excuse, it is the nature of AM.

F M, No static at all! (Was that Stealy Dan?)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Radio buzzes when going under hi-power electric line

Just took delivery of my 2004 Pilot on 10/14/2003. It's an EX-L equipped with the 6-disk CD Changer (under-seat).

I noticed on my way to work at the nuclear power plant the next day, that when I drove under the High Voltage (500KV) output power lines while playing the radio, that there is a bunch of static & buzzing noise played thru the speakers until I get out from underneath the power lines.

I also noticed this occurring on my drive home as I passed beneath power lines of lesser voltage along the highway. My previous vehicle didn't do this.

Is this static / buzzing sound normal?
Is there anything that can be done to reduce the static?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Newbie mistake - Already have a thread going on this subject

Sorry, I didn't see the already existing thread on this problem.

Thread Link

Sorry to cause duplication....

·
Registered
620 Posts
Dillpickle

dillpickle said:
Sorry, I didn't see the already existing thread on this problem.

Thread Link

Sorry to cause duplication....
Dang, you have a lot of extras on the beast!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Re: AM Radio

N_Jay said:
F M, No static at all! (Was that Stealy Dan?)
Actually it was Steely Dan, Stealy's brother.

Ok, So after reading thru this entire thread, the bottom line is that there isn't anything that can be done to the Honda AM Radio system to minimize the buzzing? That we should just live with it, listen to FM, Tapes, or CD's, and be grateful we have such a nice vehicle? :roadtrip:

Does that sum it up?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Mods: how about moving these posts to the existing thread dillpickle pointed out above.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Dillpickle

Jet-Pilot-64 said:
Dang, you have a lot of extras on the beast!
My wife let me buy my dream vehicle.... it was my turn, my daughter gets out of college this year, and .... since I'm paying for it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts