Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister reported that her 08 wouldn't start.
Vehicle was off for about 30 - 40 minutes before I arrived.
Battery Voltage is. 1.2 volts

I tried jumping it and it sparked more than usual.
Voltage with running donor vehicle applied is 10.3 volts.

I disconnected the 2 year old battery and attempted to start with just the donor and boosters. It would not start off the running donor. Voltage around 10.4 volts. Jumper cables are noticeablly hot.

I checked around the alternator and it was also hot for being shutdown for almost an hour.

I disconnected the alternator at the alternator post and battery voltage with no donor was about 11.4 volts.
With Running donor vehicle is about 12.5 Volts.

I am not comfortable driving it back at night over 15 miles and a disconnected alternator.

I feal that either there is something shorting the primary alternator cable or the alternator is shorted internally.

What are your thoughts? I think that if the alternator cable was as fault, disconnecting it from the alternator wouldn't have changed anything.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
Get the alternator tested, and check all major cables and grounds. How old is the alternator? I would just switch out the alternator and any cable that looks the least bit frayed, corroded or rusted.

When my alternator died, I recharged the battery and tried to drive it to my mechanic.
I almost made it :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to say. Vehicle was purchased used with no service records. I'd Hazzard a guess it's as old as the vehicle.

It seems like a dead short to ground through the alternator. I'll trickle charge up the battery out of the vehicle and drive it to the parts shop. Alternator and belt ordered and can cancel if it checks out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I Tested it with a multi meter after removing it from the vehicle. Output terminal is a Full dead short to the housing.

Replaced and good as new. No load on the vehicle and 12.3 volts. 14.4 volts at idle.

I Changed the Serpentine belt while I was there.
As a pro tip, the belt likes to slide of the last pully you just aligned it to. I used stretch cords to apply tension to the belt.

Hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
Glad you're back up and running.

Good of you to post pics of your serpentine belt tip.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good job diagnosing and fixing. Is that a Ryobi One plus work light? Recommend?

- Mark
Solicited tool review.

That light is wonderful. I do recommend it,especially as a general purpose work light. Like all led work lights, it can be too bright at times, and not bright enough. It ran at full bright with a 3-amp hour battery for about three hours before it needed a battery change. I have six or so of these batteries for my drill and such.

It has a wide gap at the base. Finding a flat enough surface to rest it can be a challenge in futility. That was the first time I could use the hook on the back. I was happy to have an accommodating hole in the hood bracing.

It is a helpful addition to my ryobi tool collection.

It even give a "heads-up" flash when the battery is getting low.

I think a task specific light like the Milwaukee underhood light may be the correct tool here.

It's kind of hard to justify getting different batteries and charger for a different system.

Though ryboi makes this. P727 work light. I wonder if it would provide better light.

I did have my craftsman corded 500-watt work light to help out.

Serpentine belt.

Getting that to align was getting frustrating. Every time I would align it on two pullys and go for the third, it would fall off the first two.

Appling vertical tension made it a quick job. Defiantly doing that going forward.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts