Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just after getting the expansion valve replaced last week, this week the red charging system indicator comes on. Voltmeter showed that the alternator output was only 11-11.5v. Positive battery cable was also showing some corrosion and was a little loose; however, after cleaning and tightening the voltage did not improve and the light stayed on.

Took the car to Advance Auto for their charging system test and they confirmed it was the alternator. Output with no load was 11.6v and 11.1v loaded. Thankfully the main battery tested good, only needing a recharge thanks to the failing alternator.

Local dealers wanted $675-700 for replacement but went to local NAPA shop and got replaced with Denso remanufactured (same as dealer would use) for about $490 Another local shop I used could have done for a little less but not the same day as they were busy. I asked about any leaks from the spool valve (front rocker arm oil control solenoid) right above it, but they did not see an active leak. There was some evidence of grime and oil residue possibly from an oil spill from the dipstick - I had noted oil residue and grime in that area before so I will have to check and see if any residue ends on the new alternator. They also helped reshaped/retensioned the battery cable to get a better fit.

Hopefully that will take care of the issue.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Battery seems to have recovered and is holding at 12.8v. Output with new alternator starts at 13.6v and builds up to about 13.95v.

I need to contact the mechanic again though. I noticed that the lower mounting bolt is not correctly installed. So frustrating...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts