Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recommendations on aftermarket alternators? I bought a reman from O'Reilly's, but have taken it back twice for exchange due to squeaking noise from the bearings within the first weeks of running.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Been there too many times ..if you have the money purchase an OEM online it's cheaper ..less headaches..

·
Registered
583 Posts
Are you doing the work yourself? Are you willing to redo the job in two years (maybe) with a reman? Maybe take a chance on a cheap OEM ? Here's the skinny:

New $400
Reman $150
Junkyard OEM $35

You decide.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Another factor: most remans are "lifetime warranty", so if you are willing to do the job again, at least you don't have to pay for the part again. The new OEM parts that I've seen online have 12 month warranty. You decide.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Pep Boys presently has their own ProStart Platinum brand new alternator with a lifetime warranty on sale for about $120.
Damn good price may just pick one up and have it on the shelf when needed

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another factor: most remans are "lifetime warranty", so if you are willing to do the job again, at least you don't have to pay for the part again. The new OEM parts that I've seen online have 12 month warranty. You decide.
I am down to 20 minutes to get it out....too much practice. For what its worth the noise has disappeared on the 2nd alternator, monitoring it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks guys , great post. changing my Alternator 2004 Honda Pilot EXL looking to purchase non OEM alternator. too bloody expensive. Any recommendation will be great.

TIP: If the Belt tensioner get stuck use WD 40. Cut the old belt and wiggle and figgle it to get it moving. rather than spending 80 $ OEM.
$

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Thanks guys , great post. changing my Alternator 2004 Honda Pilot EXL looking to purchase non OEM alternator. too bloody expensive. Any recommendation will be great.

TIP: If the Belt tensioner get stuck use WD 40. Cut the old belt and wiggle and figgle it to get it moving. rather than spending 80 $ OEM.
$
Read the full thread for your answer

Welcome to the Forums btw

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The Denso "remanufactured" from Amazon, sold by Amazon, looked new inside out and already works for me for longer than OEM had worked.
The price tag was about $190 (converting from CDN$257).

·
Registered
601 Posts
Not always, but generally, when Denso is an option, Denso is the answer.

Remn Denso at Rock Auto is $110.
If you don't mind the labor and want the warranty, Advance has Carquest reman for around $125 with lifetime warranty.

OEM Honda (Denso) is $420. Honda reman is $340. Ouch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts