Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Piloteers,

Mrs. BlackLion and I are contemplating getting the DVD-player accessory to keep the BlackLion Cub occupied during those long safaris.

We are not crazy about the price, however.

After paying a visit to a local Best Buy, we have concluded that we have three other options:

1) Get an after-market flip-down DVD player installed for about $1100, grand total.

2) Get a DVD "player-in-a-bag" that would strap between the two front-row seats for roughly $450.

3) Get a DVD player that sits on the rear of the front-row center console.

Does anyone out there in the Pilot Nation have any experience (good or bad) with any of these ? Would any of these options not work in a Pilot ?

BTW, the young whipper-snapper Best Buy sales-dude had never heard of the Honda Pilot--you should have seen the look he gave us when we asked if the flip-down model (option #1) would work in a "Honda Pilot." Sheeeeeesh !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aftermarket DVD

I'm not sure I have an definitive answer for you but I'd like to know what you find out as I am in the same situtaion. I have the Nav so it was not an option to get the entertainment system as well. My dealer rep said that she had put an aftermarket system into two other cars and they were both disasters. She strongly recommended that I go with the type you describe as player in a bag type. :cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would have to call myself somewhat of an expert on this field. I am the national distributor for Sirius satellite radio and deal with tons of car/stereo dealers.

I too had the dilema of what to choose for an aftermarket piece. In speaking with my Honda dealer, the price for both a RES or Navigation system from Honda is overpriced and poor on features.

Now my choice, though a more expensive one, worked out the best of both worlds. I choice a Kenwood indash touch screen DVD player. I also coupled this up with a Kenwood Navigation system. This blows away anything Honda has or will ever offer. The unit is also a SIRIUS satellite unit as well. All of this conviently located in my front dash.

As for yourself, it depends on your needs. For security reasons, I chose an in-dash unit. I also chose this for the placement of the navigation screen. If money is not a problem and you will be using the unit everyday, choose an in-dash.

If you've got kids, 2 cars and often take differant vehicles to your destination, opt for the portable. However, I would choose a portable unit that could be used anywhere, not just a vehicle. Many DVD owners often opt for a less expensive labtop with DVD. This gives you much more options.

Good luck with your quest!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Think your wrong on both counts regarding price and features. I find the system to work just fine for the price. I'm an expert on GRANDkids and their enjoyment and appreciation for the system.

bakerlar:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Go for the RES

Blacklion,

I know it is easy for me to say buy the Honda OEM RES, because it is not my money. However, I purchased it myself. It is easily viewed from the 2nd or 3rd row seats and easy to operate from the front or rear. It also adds the AUX inputs for other accessories (Video Games, IPOD,... etc.)

I agree that it is a little pricey, but it makes it more convenient for you in the long run. I have a 5 year old who loves it on extended trips, and I would never let kim hold a portable DVD Player in the Pilot. He also enjoys plugging his GameCube into the AUX inputs on long trips.

You can always add a CD Changer and XM or Sirius to your RES Headunit later. (I added XM and a Changer and it was a snap).

Good Luck with whatever option you choose!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Would it not make sense to go for the flip down DVD? This way the kids can watch from the second and third rows... If it is in Dash, how do they see the movie?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just returned from first road trip - 1200 miles. Before departing we purchased an Audiovox 5.6 LED DVD in a bag unit for 399 and a set of headphones from Radio Shack for 20 (reg 50). Simply hung the strap attached to the bag over the front passenger seat headrest which placed the screen at a good viewing position for our son when he was seated directly behind in the second row. I really came to appreciate being able to easily remove the unit when not on the open road and the potential to use it out of the vehicle (or in a different vehicle for that matter) was also appealing. However, I found the screen a little small for me and having the bulk of the player against the back of the front seat made getting in and out a little difficult for adults. The unit is capable of being separated (screen/player). Although the headphones looked to be pretty well padded, etc. they did not completely block out the competition when my wife had her barn-yard noise emitting from the in dash CD unit. If the audience is primarily young children I think this type of unit is certainly the best bang for the buck. Both audio and video playback was very good and the controls are straight forward. It also has hookups for a second screen you can purchase separately. Incidentally, I just looked these up on E-bay and are selling new for about 325 for the Model VBP 4000 which is what I have.

·
Registered
65 Posts
BlackLion said:
Piloteers,

Mrs. BlackLion and I are contemplating getting the DVD-player accessory to keep the BlackLion Cub occupied during those long safaris.

We are not crazy about the price, however.

After paying a visit to a local Best Buy, we have concluded that we have three other options:

1) Get an after-market flip-down DVD player installed for about $1100, grand total.

2) Get a DVD "player-in-a-bag" that would strap between the two front-row seats for roughly $450.

3) Get a DVD player that sits on the rear of the front-row center console.

Does anyone out there in the Pilot Nation have any experience (good or bad) with any of these ? Would any of these options not work in a Pilot ?

BTW, the young whipper-snapper Best Buy sales-dude had never heard of the Honda Pilot--you should have seen the look he gave us when we asked if the flip-down model (option #1) would work in a "Honda Pilot." Sheeeeeesh !
For my money and knowing that I'm always on the lookout for the next replacement vehicle even after just purchasing one, I would go for the portable DVD solution. This is what I plan to get:

1. Toshiba SD-P2000 Progressive Scan Portable DVD Player $629 shipped

2. Mounted using MITO Corporation's Suspension Theater $100 at BestBuy.com

3. Sound piped in using Blitzsafe AUX RCA input $75?

This way, I keep my RES in the event that I trade in the vehicle. And the kids can use it home also to watch their DVDs. All this for around $800+ -- about half of what a permanently installed RES would cost. Oh, did I mention that I can use it outside of the vehicle? :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Crikey:

Nice plug for Toshiba. I'm not only the national distributor for SIRIUS but for TOSHIBA and RCA as well. The TOSHIBA is a nice unit. Take it in the Pilot, then take it with you. It was a life saver at baseball practice this summer.

Regarding my setup, the in-dash unit is touch screen/dvd/navigation. The features are incredible. My Kenwood navigator even shows restaurants and post tiny flags at the location. A Mexican restaurant has the Mexican flag, Italian has the Italian flag, etc.

And yes, the only view from the back seat is if you're sitting in the middle seat. However, we are putting in 2 monitors in the head rest. The first input is powered by the in-dash unit. This gives the back seat riders the option to watch dvd/tv/navigation. The second input for the headrest is a Sony Playstation 2. It provides a gaming unit plus additional cd/dvd.

I'm awaiting to get a digital camera to post some pictures!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mike, how are you mounting them in the headrest ? Since there are holes in the headrest, how do you secure it and prevent it from being pushed out ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
This way, I keep my RES in the event that I trade in the vehicle. And the kids can use it home also to watch their DVDs. All this for around $800+ -- about half of what a permanently installed RES would cost. Oh, did I mention that I can use it outside of the vehicle?
I agree completely. I have a portable Panasonic LV-60. I place it on the armrest between the two front seats, attach a special cassette with a wire to the headphones jack and play the audio through the Pilot's cassette player. I also plug the unit into the adaptor in the back of the armrest. Works great. Sound is excellent, kids are happy. One drawback is that sometimes the DVD player slides when we are making big turns at higher speeds, but this is well worth it since the unit can be removed from the car and we can easily hook it up to almost any TV as a regular DVD player.

I've also taken the portable DVD on planes and, although I haven't tried it yet, I think the gamecube can be connected to it in the car.

Evergreen

·
Registered
32 Posts
Alan:

Several manufacturers offer replacements head rest. I've seen a couple posted on this website. However, I get my work done by a high end audio guy. You can expect to pay about $1,000 for 2 headrest with monitors built in.

Has anyone had any dealings with an indash radar detector (with sensors mounted at external locations)?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mike & Margaret said:

Has anyone had any dealings with an indash radar detector (with sensors mounted at external locations)?
In BMWs, yes. Valentine One's remote unit can be easily disassembled and re-assembled into many spaces. I've seen it built directly into the dash.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46/forum.php?postid=415221&page=2

Also, check this URL. http://www.vb.quik.com/jmciver/pages/v1.htm External sensors in the light housings, and internal display integrated into the rearview mirror.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mule:

Any insight for a Pilot install? The BMW install is a little more than I need. I simply want to install the unit in the empty area in my dash with some type of kit. However, the sensors must be located in key areas of the vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We decided to skip the Honda system because of the price and lack of features. Several other models out there allow you to receive TV signals, while Honda's didn't. We'll probably get a system installed eventually, but for now we'll use a portable Apex model that cost less than $300 attached to the center armrest with a bungee chord. The Apex is nothing spectacular, but it keeps the little one entertained. Bungee chord has always worked well and then we can remove it to use in a hotel or on a plane. I've seen other inexpensive models advertised online and from stores like Best Buy. It's a temporary fix, but certainly saves a lot of bucks. I like the idea that someone mentioned about using the cassette adapter to pipe the sound through the stereo. I'll have to try that.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Before I had a Pilot, I longed for a DVD in my vehicle. Since I didn't want to plunge that kind of cash into an aging car, I had a very simple but effective solution.

I would simply take my laptop with me on trips. It has a DVD in it, and by hooking it up to some kind of power converter, I was able to power it through the cigarette lighter. It worked great, and my child could not only watch movies on it, but could also play computer games.

While I am 110% satisfied with my DVD system that came with the Pilot, and wouldn't have it any other way for me personally, there are options. The laptop fit tightly between the front seats and served me very well.

Just another option you might want to consider. And, by using equipment you already own, you can gage how much you will use a DVD, and whether you want to sink $1,000 or so into a permanent system for your vehicle. :29:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mike & Margaret said:
Mule:

Any insight for a Pilot install? The BMW install is a little more than I need. I simply want to install the unit in the empty area in my dash with some type of kit. However, the sensors must be located in key areas of the vehicle.
Since I'm not a Pilot owner yet, I don't know the best place. However, searching through google should turn up some hits for valentine one stealth install, etc. Many people have used areas near the visors, grills, lights, bumper. Good luck and keep me posted if you find anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great suggestion about using the laptop. I've even got a airline/auto travel cord. This way we can get factory NAV for the kids up front and a decent DVD player for the kids in the back. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
The thing that bothers me about using a laptop in a car is if you have an accident or if you need to slam on the brakes very hard, the laptop then becomes a torpedo . . . it can be a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know if it would work with a laptop as well as it has for a portable DVD player, but bungee chords in our Jeep did a great job and was very secure. I haven't tried it yet in the Pilot.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts