Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I know many people on this site have swapped out their Goodyear Integrities for Michelin Cross Terrains, but does anyone have tires other than the Michelins, GY's or Bridgestones on their PILOT????

The reason I ask is, while there is no argument that Michelin builds a great tire - I'm looking for alternatives because frankly, I'm pissed at the French and I'm doing everything I can to NOT buy products built by those world-class pansies.

I'm looking at other Goodyear options, but would be real interested in what others have to say.

Regards,
PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
132 Posts
PILOTinginCO said:
Hi everyone,

I know many people on this site have swapped out their Goodyear Integrities for Michelin Cross Terrains, but does anyone have tires other than the Michelins, GY's or Bridgestones on their PILOT????

The reason I ask is, while there is no argument that Michelin builds a great tire - I'm looking for alternatives because frankly, I'm pissed at the French and I'm doing everything I can to NOT buy products built by those world-class pansies.

I'm looking at other Goodyear options, but would be real interested in what others have to say.

Regards,
PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO
Hi,

The original tires on my 2000 Mercedes ML320 is General Grabber ST (H-rated).
It last for a long time, quiet and have a lot better traction than the Pilot's Good Year.
It is now on sale too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+ST&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=565HR6GRST&fromCompare1=yes

Tat

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I work within the north american auto industry but 4 of my last 5 car purchases have been Japanese products. I'm constantly being told by others that I should buy North American products ( Big 3 ). I reply that the safety of my family comes first and if the safety of my family dictates that I buy a Japanese product then that is what I buy. I will never compromise family safety when making a purchase decision. Thats why I bought the Pilot even though I can get anything the Big 3 build at dealer cost or cheaper.
If I were buying tires for my car or truck I would want the best tire, period. I wouldn't be worried about what country the tire was made in or what country the head office was in. If you can find a better tire than the Cross Terrain then buy the other tire. But buy it because it is the best tire not because of where it is made. If the best tire is the Cross Terrain then buy the Cross Terrain. Remember, your safety and the safety of your family depend on your purchase decision, and the tire is the only thing between you and the road. Save your political statement for wine and clothing purchases; they probably won't affect your family's safety.

My two cents.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Tire Comparison

Here's a table I have put together to guide my tire purchase. I was looking at a slightly wider tire at 255 x 65 x 16. Picked up only those tires that had at least a "good" rating in every rated category (as reported on tirerack.com).

I am leaning toward the Kumho Ecsta STX.

Please note that prices vary by size, i.e., the 235x70x16 tire size may have different relative prices.

I have added the table in .jpg format a few posts down (will save you from having to download the attachment).

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scoobs...

Thanks for preaching to me about safety - because I would never think of that myself.

And, I have the right to say what I want about the french, just as you have to preach to me about my thoughts.

As for buying a safe tire - well duh! I have been a Goodyear guy forever, but never liked the Integrity series, especially on an SUV.

I was simply asking for good alternatives to the Michelins, but if the overwhelming input from PILOT owners is that the Cross Terrains are the best thing going - then I'll take that under advisement.

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Re: Scoobs...

PILOTinginCO said:
Thanks for preaching to me about safety - because I would never think of that myself.

And, I have the right to say what I want about the french, just as you have to preach to me about my thoughts.

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO
Sorry you thought I was preaching. I was just pointing out to you that you were allowing extraneous considerations to enter into your decision making process. As for your right to think whatever you want about the french I'm not sure what you are talking about as I can't find any such reference in my post. I hope you have a better day tomorrow.:D

P.S. I bought the Cross Terrains.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the Cross Terrains on my Pilot. An excellent wet/ dry weather tire. Head and shoulders over the Integrities. I will however, be getting the Alpin 4X4 tires for winter driving next season. I was not pleased with the winter performance of the Terrains. And really when you look at the tread design, they are not made for true winter driving.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just an FYI, I love my Michelins. Then again, we don't have any snow where I live.

Ever.

·
Registered
328 Posts
:2: We swapped the Goodyears for Michelin Cross Terrains...Now if our beloved pilot would just cooperate and leave Honda service we enjoy these tires.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had bought my Michelins long before the war and would have shopped elsewhere as well. Hell, I even cancelled my Car and Driver subscription after 20 years. French owned.

There are other good tires but very few in the size I used.

Depending on your size requirement, I would seriously consider the
very new Yokohama HT-S series which are suppose to be a class leading tire.

·
Registered
263 Posts
What about the Goodyear Fortera HL? Seems to me that at least one member here has put them on the Pilot, and the last time I checked at TireRack, it had slightly better ratings than the CT (albeit with much less total miles).

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Tire comparison table

Here's the same information in .jpg format (so you don't have to open a file). The only tires selected for this comparison were those tires that scored at least "good" in each and every rated category. Pricing is as of posting date.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
PILOTinginCO said:

-snip-

Regards,
PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO
Have you stopped in at your local Big-O dealer? I have had excellent luck with their tires. You may also want to stop in at one of the independent dealers as they oftentimes carry other brands for comparison purposes and may be more likely to recommend the ones they have had the best luck with (versus the ONLY one they sell).

YMMV

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you everyone. The info on this thread is very useful. My Subaru needed winter tires for Minnesota so I bought Bridgestone Blizzaks. They work well. There is no mention of them in this thread. Any advice for my Pilot? I think I'll keep the Integrity till they're worn out but would like a winter tire.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll stick with the Integrity's until next winter. They work great. Come winter, I'll go with the Michellin CT's. Hands down the best for all purpose conditions (traction, ride, noise, reliability, safety, etc). Those to me are more important then a silly political statement. Even though I don't care about the French, it's not like they did anything wrong. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
311 Posts
No don't stop the French bashing. I'm hoping that all the anti-French reaction will lower the price of the best Bordeaux wines which is still out of my range. BTW, the Michelins have been on my Pilot for many months now. They are super tires. I would buy them now because they are that good, even though I'm feeling some resentment toward our French "partners."

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Mkell said:
No don't stop the French bashing. I'm hoping that all the anti-French reaction will lower the price of the best Bordeaux wines which is still out of my range. BTW, the Michelins have been on my Pilot for many months now. They are super tires. I would buy them now because they are that good, even though I'm feeling some resentment toward our French "partners."
Yeah, stop the French bashing!! :D Otherwise, I'll have to send Yvette back to Paris..... :mad:

:2:

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alternative to CT

Spent $200 after trade in bridgestone dueler h/t for Cooper Discoverer H/T. I did this after owning pilot one week in nebraska and not feeling comfortable with oem tires in snow. Very happy with Cooper's in subsequent wet/slick road conditions. In hindsight am happy but kind of wish they had a review on tirerack on the Cooper's to give me confidence in my swap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Winter Tires

One of the things I look at, when researching a new vehicle, is the availability of winter rated tires for that vehicle. The stock tire size on the Pilot gives a lot of choices. I have cross terrains on my present vehicle, and they have performed quite well in winter conditions. If we get a 2004 Pilot, I think I will have a set of Nokian WR's fitted. They are a full winter rated M/S tire that can be run all year, and have a 50k tread wear guarantee. They are not widely available, but with a little research they can be found.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I went with the CT's couldn't be happier. However, next winter I will be getting snow tires. I understand after talking to the manufacturer that more of the Bridgestone snows will be available in our stock size. While the CT took me most anywhere in the snow, the stopping distances in the snow, was poor, and can only really be improved with a winter tire, studs or chains.

Joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts