Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Pretty sweet! What was the cost? How was the install? Any features lost? Any features gained?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cost me $1,200 with dash kit and hd camera. Remember there is no wire harness. So everything had to be hard wired. Lost lane watch & voice recognition because of Siri. But overall I love the fact I got Apple car
Play, hdmi connection, pandora & hd radio. Would’ve cost me the same if I would’ve gotten a 2017 Pilot ex radio unit.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Did you do the install yourself or have it professionally installed?

I'm not looking to do this but this is helpful info for anyone who stumbles on this post.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you do the install yourself or have it professionally installed?

I'm not looking to do this but this is helpful info for anyone who stumbles on this post.
I had it professionally installed. A lot of auto shops won’t do it because of the hardwiring directly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just saw this post. Great info! I looked at the specs on the Alpine iLX-F309 and it can do so much more if there was a iDatalink Maestro available. I actually wonder if you can use the one from the Honda Civic because the steering wheel and infotainment are so similar.
From my knowledge and experience you’ll lose the features on your steering wheel except the volume up/down, switching from one source to another and that’s basically it. I lost the blind spot camera once I installed the alpine. Remember I had to get it hard wired because they don’t have a wire harness to directly connect to the factory wiring.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I got Alpine ILX-207 in my 2013 EX, so only rear camera, but the interface is pretty compatible. Alpine sends out 6V to camera, Pilot factory camera expects 8V, but seems to work fine on 6.. There is an Alpine KCX-C250MC unit that allows hooking up to 3 cameras, so if your blind spot camera has hookup similar to rear, you may be able to connect it. Of course, telling the Alpine when to show the view from that camera is a whole other bag of weasels. My unit will switch to rear camera when it gets voltage on the reverse wire, but there is no "side" wire that could be connected to blind spot warning signal...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got Alpine ILX-207 in my 2013 EX, so only rear camera, but the interface is pretty compatible. Alpine sends out 6V to camera, Pilot factory camera expects 8V, but seems to work fine on 6.. There is an Alpine KCX-C250MC unit that allows hooking up to 3 cameras, so if your blind spot camera has hookup similar to rear, you may be able to connect it. Of course, telling the Alpine when to show the view from that camera is a whole other bag of weasels. My unit will switch to rear camera when it gets voltage on the reverse wire, but there is no "side" wire that could be connected to blind spot warning signal...
All you need to use the rear camera input for the lane watch camera is a DPDT relay triggered by a push button, possibly the existing one. One pole of the relay selects the camera signal(defaulting normally to the rear camera), and the other pole selects the input trigger (defaulting normally to the reverse light power). A simple timer circuit using the 555 timer chip (costs about 50 cents each) will hold the lanewatch camera input for a suitable length of time, and can be adjustable.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well yeah, one can 'fool' the head unit into thinking it is getting the rear camera input + reverse signal while relays actually feed it the lanewatch camera. This approach, however, poses a couple problems.
Guide lines. Since head unit thinks it is showing me the rear view, it will display the backup guide lines, which are mighty weird on a side view. One could turn them off, but I suppose people still want the guides when using the rear cam.
Mute on reverse. Some like it, some don't. I personally prefer my audio muted when backing up. But would totally hate to have it cutting out any time I want to change lanes.
Best option, of course, would be for head unit manufacturers who provide multiple camera interfaces, to include the additional camera trigger wires on the harness.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts