Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Pilot for about 2 1/2 months now, and I love it. However, I did have some problems the first month that almost made me regret getting one. First off was the so called scrunch or in my case, it was a very light icking sound that seem to come from the driver's door/window or seatbelt rack. Anyway, they replaced the door seal but I think it is still there, though not as bad. The worse one I had was the left rear suspension. Everytime the car turned right or went over speed bumps, the shock would make a rubbing clunk noise which was very prominent and loud. I went under the Pilot while had my wife bob the Pilot up and down and I pinpointed the noise coming from the lower portion of the left rear shock. Sounded like the damper for the shock or something. Went to the dealership and waited 30 minutes before I talked to a service advisor. Then I test drove with a mechanic to verify the sound which he did. I then told him exactly where it was coming from. So I was told I would be contacted later that afternoon if it was finished. Never received a call. I called and they said not done yet. Called again and they said around 5pm. I gave them till 6pm, no calls. So I called and the person told me it was ready. Went to the dealership to find out it was not ready and they couldn't find the problem. So I raised hell and asked for a manager who was no help. So I filed a complaint with the head of servic e dept and dealership. My car is there for two days and now all of a sudden they found the problem, which I told exactly where it was. I told them that I personally pinpointed the noise and they had 5 mechanics who can't figure out where it was coming from? BS!!! Thne they tell me I had to come back a week later for them to install the part which is special ordered. And another week passed and I get a flat tire, lol! I was starting to hate this vehicle and this dealership (Norm Reeves Honda in Ceritos, CA) which I have bought 4 Hondas from and referred friends to. I really wanted a 04 4Runner but my wife talked me into buying a Pilot which I love now but still hasn't fully captured my heart. I still love my Accord V6 coupe. I hope things get better for this Pilot.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:rolleyes: it is like surgery, you have a tummy ache and because your threshold for pain is so low, they examined it and decided that you need an operation to find out. they opened and close your abdomen and found nothing. your pain may or may not be there anymore but down the line you will have another operation again and again because of obstruction, adhesions and the like because of that first operation. in short, if it aint broke dont fix it, leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
nighthawk13 said:

First off was the so called scrunch or in my case, it was a very light [t]icking sound that seem to come from the driver's door/window or seatbelt rack. Anyway, they replaced the door seal but I think it is still there, though not as bad.

This doesn't sound like the scrunch problem to me.

But I agree with your dissatisfaction with your service department - but then, this is a complaint of almost every car owner, regardless of brand. It's not acceptable, but unfortunately, there isn't much one can do about it if the service dept manager and dealership owners isn't concerned.

Might want to let American Honda know of your experiences.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Re: Re: Almost Regretted The Pilot!

Might want to let American Honda know of your experiences.
Also, please rate this service department on the Dealer Rating section of this website. This is a very valuable resource for future customers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sblvro said:
:rolleyes: it is like surgery, you have a tummy ache and because your threshold for pain is so low, they examined it and decided that you need an operation to find out. they opened and close your abdomen and found nothing. your pain may or may not be there anymore but down the line you will have another operation again and again because of obstruction, adhesions and the like because of that first operation. in short, if it aint broke dont fix it, leave it alone.
I suppose...but when you pay a good amount of hard earned cash for a vehicle or anything, you expect it to be perfect esp when it is brand new. And even more precaution should be taken when your family esp when an infant rides in it alot. And a clunk sound from the suspension for every bump and turn that you make just don't and shouldn't sound normal and cannot be ignored, atleast to me. The manual itself tells you that if any unusual noises are heard, you should take it to the dealer/doctor right away before it gets worse. Sounds similar to your medical analogy doesn't it? But unfortunately a car problem/symptom versus human ones just aren't similar and shouldn't be compared.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I will be at Norm Reeves this weekend to fix the driver side door handle which would not open after they replaced the door seal. It opens now but I figure it could happen again at any time.

·
Registered
920 Posts
mrvincent said:
I will be at Norm Reeves this weekend to fix the driver side door handle which would not open after they replaced the door seal. It opens now but I figure it could happen again at any time.
Why did they replace the door seal?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
mrvincent said:
Seal was replaced for the "door scrunch" issue. It helped that problem.
I'm very confused. How would replacing the door seal have any affect on the door handle? Was it just coincidence that the handle failed a day or so after it was in the shop for something totally unrelated?:confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
It may or may not be related. I don't see how it could be related as well. Its just a fact that the door stopped working shortly after having the seal replaced.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
mrvincent said:
It may or may not be related. I don't see how it could be related as well. Its just a fact that the door stopped working shortly after having the seal replaced.
Well, welding the door shut would sure stop the scrunch, huh.:2:

·
Registered
143 Posts
nighthawk13
Lets go back to the suspension noise. I have a scrunch noise coming from the rear suspension when there is two people in the car or weight in the rear and going over speed bumps. I've posted this question before and it sounds that there is a lot o people here with the same problem. Someone said that is the way the rear strut is designed. I already complaint to my Dealer and they said that everything is fine. It sounds like dry bushing noise. Keep us posted of a fix to this problem.
Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BMWRT said:
nighthawk13
Lets go back to the suspension noise. I have a scrunch noise coming from the rear suspension when there is two people in the car or weight in the rear and going over speed bumps. I've posted this question before and it sounds that there is a lot o people here with the same problem. Someone said that is the way the rear strut is designed. I already complaint to my Dealer and they said that everything is fine. It sounds like dry bushing noise. Keep us posted of a fix to this problem.
Thanks
They replaced the rubber dampener of the strut. For me, the noise mainly occurred when someone sat behind the driver on the left side. BUt though not as bad, when I'm driving alone, it still would make that dry rubbing noise when going over speed bumps. BUt the rubbing noise was not what really made me concerned. What made me concerned was the loud clunk sound that followed that rubbing noise after going over speed bumps. It's been almost 4 weeks since they replaced the dampener and everything was quiet until about a week ago. The dry rubbing noise is back though not as harsh. I'm just thinking it may be due to the dampener being new and maybe kind of hug tighter around the strut rubbing against the strut eveyrtime the strut depresses. But the clunk sound is definitely gone which was what I couldn't stand in the first place. I guess it needed to be broken in, who knows why the left and not the right. I've also driven my Pilo fully loaded with 7 passengers including myself a few times and it drove very nice and smooth with no noise. I think the rubbing noise doesn't occur when the car is heavier cause the strut is depressed more. Who knows?!:rolleyes:

By the way, I have diagnosed that noise that I described as a ticking noise coming from the door or window of the driver's side (not scrunch). It was the rubber seal that hugs the windows at the full closed position. I guess it is not hugging the glass enough, so any small rattle from the road causes the rubber to rub the glass making that slight ticking noise. It's no big deal, I can live with that one....for now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for the answer. As for the window noise, have use Armor-all wipes on the seals and see if the noise gets reduced? I keep all my seals clean and lubed and I don't have any problems. Honda is aware of that problem. A body reconfiguration is needed for this problem but is not going to happen any time soon.

·
Registered
411 Posts
BMWRT said:
Thanks for the answer. As for the window noise, have use Armor-all wipes on the seals and see if the noise gets reduced? I keep all my seals clean and lubed and I don't have any problems. Honda is aware of that problem. A body reconfiguration is needed for this problem but is not going to happen any time soon.
A body reconfiguration? I think not.

There are A LOT of other vehicles with much more body flex than the Pilot, but they don't have a noice problem. Honda can design seals that don't make a niose. Honda just hasn't reached that point yet, because too many owners are just living the problem....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts