Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on spray cleaners for getting the factory alloy rims on my EX to shine?

Also any tire cleaners that I should not use that may tarish the aluminum? I use Bleach White for the tires on my '93 Cherokee with no worries because the factory rims on it are painted. I'm a little reluctant to use it on my Pilot because that stuff is really strong.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Your rims are painted

The Honda rims are clear coated, so the surface you are cleaning is actually paint, not aluminium.

Of course scratched areas don't count.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, N_Jay.

Sounds like the stuff I use for the body is all I really need for the rims, then.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just Be Careful!

Be very careful what you use on your coated rims. If you take the clear coat off they will be hell to clean.

Also...If you take the clear coat off in one area of the wheel, it will look bad and be really hard to get right again.

Look through all the wheel cleaners and make double sure it says "Safe For Clear Coated Wheels."

I just use car wash soap and a soft mitt to clean them..then a clean towel to dry them off. Please don't use a brush....:eek:

Don

·
Registered
59 Posts
Most of the time you should be able to get the wheels clean with your car wash solution and your wash mitt. Since they are clear-coated, waxing the wheels will help make them easier to clean, but the wax breaks down relatively quickly due to the higher temperatures around the wheel. A polymer sealant is good if you want wax-type protection that will last longer.

I've had good luck with Eagle One A to Z wheel cleaner for the times the wheels are really dirty. Also, Eagle One tire cleaner every once in a while keeps the tires nice and black instead of brown. These products are pretty easy to find at most of the auto parts chains as well as the discount stores. Not too expensive.

Eagle One website...read and learn

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas.

I use the ZipWax liquid carwash from TurtleWax to wash both the body and rims. I love the stuff because it suds up really good and does a good job in cleaning. Plus it is cheap.

I will probably purchase the Eagle1 to clean the tires for this vehicle, as that Bleach White is some tuff stuff, which makes me a little concerned about those clearcoated rims.

·
Registered
95 Posts
tire shine

I use bleach white to clean the tires, but was unaware of the concerns around damaging the rims. I haven't had a problem with it in the past though.

I was once told by a detailer not to use any of the "shine" products on the tires as they don't allow the tire to breath. Can anyone validate this and/or recommend a product that is safe. I am currently using 303 which does OK, but doesn't provide the gloss look. The other problem I have with the traditional products is that they sling off and coat your car. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I've been using Zaino's z16 tire shine on the tires. It provides a nice matte/satin look and doesn't sling. I'm not a fan of the greasy Armor-All look. It also works well on the black plastic trim and lasts about a month or 3 washes, whichever comes first. Worth getting if you're also getting other Zaino products (or if you have a local distributor), otherwise the flatrate shipping will kill you.

303 is fine, too. I actually have a sample of Eagle in the garage but haven't tried it yet...and it's s'posed to rain through the weekend.

Regular carwash soap and either your wax or polymer on the wheels works wonders. I've NEVER had to use anything beyond soap and water, even on the fronts which collect a fair amount of brake dust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts