Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven't kept track of it, can you guys do me a favor and just do the calculations for the next 5 fills and post them up here? Just humor me, will ya? :D

The reason I'm asking is because, from the day one, I've been getting really bad mileage. I know you're never going to achieve the claimed mileage by the manufacturer, which is 13.8L/100KM for the Pilot according to honda.ca website. But I never expected to anything as high 18L/KM! The lowest I got was like 16.7L/100KM.

I know, it's winter right now and I must be idling the car more than I did during the summer, but the kicker is, I was getting about that during the summer too.

As well, while I've got your eyeballs on here, how many of you, even after having performed the throttle bracket trick (if you needed to), are still hearing some kind of noise akin to pinging and knocking, even if faint? I'm wondering if the p/k'ing noise I'm hearing from the engine is attributable to such bad mileage.

Thanks for your time and courtesy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 24,000 km on mine and I have kept some very accurate records on many occasions, so the info below is quite accurate. We took a trip to the East Coast from Thunder Bay last summer, and I kept a log on the trip.

Generally averaged about between 12 to 13 litres per 100 km on this trip, which was mostly highway obviously.

On the highway that best I have achieved is 11 litres per 100 km This was driving from Montreal to Toronto in July, and a steady 120 kmh on cruise control 95% of the time. The traffic was fairly light so I did not have to kick off the cruise very often. I do not know if you are familiar with the road there, but is generally very flat with only small rolling hills at the most with very few exceptions. I think that driving 90 kmh, 10 litres per 100 km is possible based on this.

The worst I have ever gotten is about 15 litres per 100 km from what I recall.

I have not heard any pinging or knocking at all.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wanted to update my fuel efficience situation. Soon after about the 15,000KM mark, I started realizing about 15L/100KM (15.68MPG). So, it started to improve somewhat. But ever since I switched to Petro Canada from Esso, I'm consistently getting between about 12.5L/100KM (18MPG). The lowest I've had was 12.11L/100KM (19.42MPG) and the highest in the last 12 fill-ups was 13.4L/100KM (17.55MPG). Before switching, I was getting about 14-15L/100KM (16.8MPG - 15.68MPG). There's been no change in driving habits or conditions at all after we started using Petro Can.

I've been using Esso ever since I can remember, but I'm now a Petro Can convert and believer. Even my minivan's getting better mileage with them. Wish I would've switched much sooner than this. Plus, Petro Can has that Tactrol stuff in the gas which supposedly cleans your fuel system while you drive. I don't know if any of it is true, but as long as I get better mileage with Petro Can, I'll stick with them for now.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Ever since I started keeping track of my mileage I've been averaging 12-13l/100 km, the worst was 15l/100 km. It's interesting what you say has happened to your mileage since switching to Petrocan, I'm not very particular where I buy my fuel but I'll start going to Petrocan & hopefully realise the same benefits as you have, thanks:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Gas Mileage

I've always been meaning to ask someone from the great white north, is it common for you to refer to your fuel efficiency as Gas Mileage? Even though you don't use miles? Or, do you use this term so us south of the border folks will understand what you're talking about?

Also, I assume that your 'gas mileage' figures are displayed on the new car sticker like ours. Does a government agency come up with those numbers, like ours does?

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmmm, may have to give PetroCanada a try. I've been using Esso and Coop, currently averaging around 22MPG in the city and 29MPG on the highway (Imperial gallons). I grew up thinking in MPG and to this day have a hard time relating to l/100km. Celcius, kiloPascals, kilometers, no trouble... but litres per 100km what was Pierre T thinking... smaller is better???... don't think he ever took a marketing course.

01r1, from what I understand, the Canadian Gov't (Department of Transportation) tests each new vehicle and determines a fuel consumption rating, litres of fuel per 100km travelled. One number for city driving and one number for hwy driving. Very similar to the US.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Canuck Mileage

I have had 2 Pilots---On the first one, I never even made 475 km to the tank and that was always a mix of highway and city - even on long trips (Toronto to Florida and back) I sold that Pilot with 25,000 km on it in April. The second one is doing much better giving me over 525 km to the tank. By the way, I used to get my worst mileage with Petrocan. I swear by Sunoco (regular) and the bonus is CAA points. 16,500 on the second Pilot and I will be in the market for either an 04 Pilot but still no damned sunroof --what the hell is Honda thinking about??? or maybe even a Lexus. There is no way that I will touch another MDX - they have unsupportive front seats to those of us with lower back issues.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
1st Petrocan mileage
I averaged 14.3L/100km, all city driving.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Guys from out west buying their gas at Petrocan? That must hurt some.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
borg said:
1st Petrocan mileage
I averaged 14.3L/100km, all city driving.
Yikes, that's worse than what you usually got though. Darn it, it's weird how the mileage differs even with the same car and the same gas station. Sorry!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gas Mileage

To date I'm averaging about 13 l/100kms or about 21 (imperial not US) MPG. The salesman did warn me not to expect the govt quoted mileage until after the first oil change. He suggested that this was because a different oil was put in at the factory for break-in purposes. I'll let you know if I see any dramatic improvements then.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Riprock:
Slight decrease in mileage might be attributed to the bigger tires or my driving style might be more aggressive because of the bigger tires, either way I'll post a few more mileage stats & hope to learn more from it.:)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
RipRocK said:
What do you mean?
Back in the 80's I went to school with a guy from Calgary. If you even mentioned the word Petrocanada he would go into an apoplectic rage and start using very colourful language to describe Trudeau and the national energy policy. It was quite the thing to watch, especially if some "innocent" mistakenly used the word Petrocanada during a conversation.:D

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
2nd Petrocan Mileage 03 Oct 11
14.6L/100 km, all city driving

3rd Fill up.......03 Oct 20
12.5L/100 km, mostly highway

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
borg said:
2nd Petrocan Mileage 03 Oct 11
14.6L/100 km, all city driving

3rd Fill up.......03 Oct 20
12.5L/100 km, mostly highway
It seems as though you're not getting better numbers at all with PetroCan in the city. Looks like you're getting close to a 2L/100KM worse fuel efficiency with their fuel. That can add up real quick, especially with gas being so darn expensive. May be you should switch back. For some reason I get better mileage with PetroCan than I do with Esso. Sorry, dude.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

01r1 said:
I've always been meaning to ask someone from the great white north, is it common for you to refer to your fuel efficiency as Gas Mileage? Even though you don't use miles? Or, do you use this term so us south of the border folks will understand what you're talking about?

Also, I assume that your 'gas mileage' figures are displayed on the new car sticker like ours. Does a government agency come up with those numbers, like ours does?

Thanks,
Pete
The unit of measurement was changed back in the 70's to the metric system. I learned it in school, but still I prefer the old system.

We still say mileage. Kilometerage doesn't come out easy. I don't like the litres/100km, so I convert everything to Miles/gallon, and as you know we used to have imperial gallon, which is larger than US gallon. So mileage up here is a very personal preference. You should see how I figure it out on the drive to Florida....:eek:

There are government issued figures and are displayed on new cars, like yours.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
borg said:
Welcome aboard Sunday Rider! :roadtrip:
Hello Borg,
What a surprise this board is.
I had been looking for a used 4 Runner, and the ones I drove left a lot to be desired. I am not sure but I guess if you like them you hold on to them. The ones I got to drive were abused it seemed. They all looked good on the outside, but...

Then I saw the Mitsubishi, and liked the way they looked. It was a Sunday and the dealer was closed. So I decided to do some research on the "net". Every review said consider a Pilot.

On Monday I test drove it, loved it, and the extra 3rd row sold me. It was a demo with 24K on the clock. The dealer wanted to sell it to make way for the '04.

I have been driving Bronco, Bronco II, and Explorers for last 20 years. I really like the Pilot.

Once I figure out how to put stuff on the signature I will do it.
By the way Borg, what is the number under your signature?

Thanks,
Sunday Rider

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Sunday Rider said:
...snip

By the way Borg, what is the number under your signature?

Thanks,
Sunday Rider
Welcome, and Congrats!:D That number in borg's signature is the last 6 digits of his VIN, Vehicle Identification Number.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts